Nautical flags

While communication was the original use for the signal flags, there is also the custom of "dressing the ship" which can be used to celebrate holidays, show respect or just make the ship look more attractive. Placement of the flags is over the mastheads of the ship and if I am not mistaken there maybe a prescribed order just to ensure that some unintended message is not spelled out;)!

Some are still in use, like the "H-Hotel" flag for "I have a pilot onboard", "Q-Quebec" for "I am free of disease", "L-Lima" for "I am under quarantine", "B-Bravo" for "I am carrying or loading dangerous cargo", and a few others. It is used as a way of signaling messages without resorting to jamming the radio waves with requests from every vessel to every other vessel.

You will see the cruise ships flying the red "Bravo" flag whenever taking on fuel.

And yes, there is a specific order of flags when "dressing ship", not only to prevent unintended messages, but also to present a uniform appearance. There are actually two stages, dressing ship and full dressing ship, that US ships follow. Full dressing involves flying the national ensigns at the mastheads as well as the string of signal flags, and is reserved for Washington's Birthday and Independence Day.

Some are still in use, like the "H-Hotel" flag for "I have a pilot onboard", "Q-Quebec" for "I am free of disease", "L-Lima" for "I am under quarantine", "B-Bravo" for "I am carrying or loading dangerous cargo", and a few others. It is used as a way of signaling messages without resorting to jamming the radio waves with requests from every vessel to every other vessel.

You will see the cruise ships flying the red "Bravo" flag whenever taking on fuel.

And yes, there is a specific order of flags when "dressing ship", not only to prevent unintended messages, but also to present a uniform appearance. There are actually two stages, dressing ship and full dressing ship, that US ships follow. Full dressing involves flying the national ensigns at the mastheads as well as the string of signal flags, and is reserved for Washington's Birthday and Independence Day.

Thank you for that--very interesting!

Flags still serve a practical function as well; as a quick identification of certain events. These are flown on the side of the mast above the bridege. For example;

The 'B' flag indicates hazardous operations - such as refueling

'Q' Flag - need to clear customs . i.e.; quarantine

'H' Flag - Pilot on board

'A' Flag - International diving flag

etc

Back in the 90's, I was on the SS Indendance. The Captain's name was Zarnoff (spelling?). He always had the 'Z' flag flying on the bow to indicate what the wind was doing. :-)

Aloha,

John