Mexican Riviera/rough seas?

eheif

We experienced rough seas last year on the Diamond, Mexico same time of year on the LAST day, returning. The ship travels at full speed against the swells, while on the trip south, it sort of "rolls" over the waves. We didn't see many sick folks, but stayed in our cabin, in a nap-like state, most of that day. We would sway and stagger in the hallways (and we're young and very active). The hangers in the closet were sliding across the bar- to give you an idea of the magnitude. The ships stabilizers help, but the Pacific ocean is notorious for being quite rough on the return trip on this voyage. We enjoyed it, but did not expect it.

We experienced the same thing in Nov. last year and understand the trip back up on the last sea day is usually quite rough. Thankfully though by the last day you have your sea legs and it isn't as noticable. Not rough enough to make everyone sick though. A non-drowy dramamine or some ginger and you'll be fine if you're the seasick type.

We are going down to the Mexican Riviera Oct 22. How rough is the ocean this time of year? We will be on the Sapphire Princess. Will this make a big difference due to this ships size?

Thanks

Spent ten days in October a few years ago in the Mexican Riveira and once past Cabo it was flat calm the entire time except for the last day and night heading out of Cabo for San Diego.

Sheebah - We were on the Diamond with you in Oct. We had fun with the rough sea one day on the trip back. We decided to walk around the ship and it was like riding a roller coaster when we were at the very front of the ship. Took some video of the big waves. It wasn't too bad toward the aft. We didn't get sick and really weren't bothered by the sea.

From my experience, it's a little bit cooler and rougher for a day or so out of LA and returning due to the currents. With a broad, wide ship with a shallow draft like the Sapphire Princess, even with stabilizers, you'll feel the waves more than you would with the smaller ships which are narrower and deeper, and designed to go through waves. Just a note having been on the Caribbean Princess in fairly "busy" seas, the stabilizers can be very noisy if you're on a lower deck. I personally enjoy a ship's movement as it rocks me to sleep.

We are going down to the Mexican Riviera Oct 22. How rough is the ocean this time of year? We will be on the Sapphire Princess. Will this make a big difference due to this ships size?

Thanks

Hey eheif,

There are a few of us over on the Princess roll call that are sailing with you on the Sapphire on the 22nd. Follow this link and come on over http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4631273#post4631273

Susan :)

I did the Mexican Riviera cruise in May... and the waters were rough out of LA, and back into LA.

On the way back, the waters were REALLY rough... we were staggering down the hallways, going from side to side, like we were drunk! But it was so fun! :D

I'll be on the Mexican Riviera again (Sapphire Princess) in November!

Sheebah - We were on the Diamond with you in Oct. We had fun with the rough sea one day on the trip back. We decided to walk around the ship and it was like riding a roller coaster when we were at the very front of the ship. Took some video of the big waves. It wasn't too bad toward the aft. We didn't get sick and really weren't bothered by the sea.

Hornet,

Wasn't it a great cruise?

Such a relaxing trip-nice not to have to fly since we live in So. California.

We loved walking around in the rough seas too! One of our fondest memories!

On our Star Princess cruise in 2002 we noticed a little motion in the dinning room the first night then it was smooth sailing to Puerto Vallarta, to Mazatlan to Cabo. It did get a little rough out of Cabo back to LA but nothing to complain about. This year we are on the Dawn out of SF and I am really curious to see how the seas :) will be. Packed the Bonine, Dramimine and the Wine. I think we are set!!!

How great it would be to live on a coast for people who love to cruise like all of us do. I would do the same cruise over again and again. Takes us about 4 hours just to get to CA by plane.

Even though there are some rough seas - it always amazes me how calm most of the sailing is. All the glass gift stuff in the shop - glasses on tables stay put. I do like the slight rocking motion while sleeping in the bed - and miss it when we go home.

We're on the Dawn out of SF on 9/21. I noticed someone here mentioned that the smaller ships tend to have an easier go of it in rough waters. Has anyone done Mexico on this size ship? How were the waters? This will be our first non-Caribbean cruise!!

Jess

We're on the Dawn out of SF on 9/21. I noticed someone here mentioned that the smaller ships tend to have an easier go of it in rough waters. Has anyone done Mexico on this size ship? How were the waters? This will be our first non-Caribbean cruise!!
Yes, some (but not all -- it depends on the ship design) smaller ships are able to cut through the waves better. An example is the Regal Princess. (The Royal Princess is great in heavier seas but she's now gone from Princess to P&O.) The Grand-class ships are very tall, very wide and have a shallow draft which makes them very susceptible to wind and waves. Stabilizers help but they can't compensate completely for a very large, top-heavy mass.

Sailing in and out of LA, whether you're going to Mexico or Hawaii, you enter the Japanese Current just off the coast and you almost always have one to two days of rougher, cooler seas as you go through it.

Even though it's a much longer hike across country for me to go to LA vs. FLL, I prefer the Mexican Riviera. While still touristy, the Mexican Riviera is more "Mexican" than Cancun, Cozumel, etc. The ports you stop at are the ones that well-off Mexicans go to. They weren't created or built up strictly for American tourists.

Archived