I think my calendar is broken

newbieafloat

Hi Newbieafloat - have a wonderful time - I am sure you will, and be sure to tell us all about it when you get back. I still have another 43 sleeps to go before my first cruise of the year...:)

One thing I found whilst on board is that if you don't switch your phone off, it is constantly "hunting" for a signal and the battery didn't last very long - certainly ran down quicker than normal. It's not quite so bad on port days but could be a problem at sea. just worth keeping an eye on.

Bon Voyage!

A phone option is to switch it to inflight mode which will extend battery life. I only intend to use mine in wifi zones on land and will give my cabin contact details for emergencies when I travel. My calendar is definitely broken July 1st is a long way away :(

The cabin phone normally has an alarm built in.

Good to know! Some of us can't have too many alarms :p

MM, I intend to keep my phone in "flight mode" most of the time, so it shouldn't be hunting. Aside from the phone, I may use it for keeping a journal of sorts, being a Blackberry and having a full querty keyboard makes it quite useful for that.

My intention is got get away completely from the "real world" for two weeks. Although I'd normally have my works phone on me whilst on a short break, the phone will be left at home with all calls and emails diverted to my gaffer (I TOLD him this would happen, not asked him :p). I'm going to try and get everything packed up tonight, so after work tomorrow I can switch off and start to relax. Yes, the clothes might pick up a couple of extra wrinkles, but the irons in the laundrettes will take care of those.

One working day left, and after that, I intend to forget the rest of my world exists for a while. Executive decision has been made now that if there's anything I've not already got or is listed to be packed, I'll go without. I'm used to hiking and camping with a tiny fraction of what I'll be packing for this trip, so not going to be whittling about all the minuteia.

Do you have trousers with elastic acted waistband? A necessity for the last few days after all that nice food. Just me then.... :o

The 24 day cruise to America & Canada was a waistline killer. :eek:

I like to try foods I've never had before (the local speciality dishes etc) and if I really don't like something the waiters will always bring you something else or you can wait till later.

I have sorbet instead of the soup course but is that like having two puddings, just one half way through.:rolleyes:

The launderette is the place for all the gossip according to the ships Captains.

If I don't look back in before you go - have a great cruise. :)

Edited by Scorpio41

Elasticated waistband? Amateur! :p

When I bought my dinner suit a couple of months ago, I bought one pair of 34" waist trousers, and a pair of 36" waist trousers :D my other trousers are of varying degrees of snugness, so no doubt some will be worn earlier in the cruise than others. I do intend trying out the gym though ( which should give other users a bloody good laugh), so I might burn off an extra half a dozen calories or so to compensate for the extra 2000 a day I'm consuming :cool:

Food wise, there's so many options on board that I couldn't possibly go hungry even if there is something I don't like. I can pretty much guarantee I'll be having a buffet run at stupid o'clock in the morning once or twice, even if I stuffed my face constantly the day before. Some things just have to be tried at least once

I believe it can go in your checked luggage but I suggest you wrap it in sealed polythene bags to protect against leaks. You can also buy wine during port excursions to take to your cabin.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Edited by Triplalot

So it's permitted to check it, but safer to carry it. Gotcha!

Just trying to juggle the loadout of the last two bags, and keep the carry on at a sensible size, plus I think the coach service can be a bit funny about taking alcohol onto the coach. I'll see what I can shuffle around.

Thanks folks

Just thought I'd say when you are In the dining room at night and there are balloons above the table get ready for singing, either a birthday or annivery.

Guess what .... Day two of my cruise .. That's me. :o

Edited by Scorpio41

So it's permitted to check it, but safer to carry it. Gotcha!

Just trying to juggle the loadout of the last two bags, and keep the carry on at a sensible size, plus I think the coach service can be a bit funny about taking alcohol onto the coach. I'll see what I can shuffle around.

Thanks folks

The coach service will just accept your bags. The carry on won't be scanned till Southampton.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back! :D

Easiest solo holiday I've ever done. Met some great people, more than enough to be able to stay clear of the more tedious moaners and peacocks. I had some issues with P&O admin systems which I will be taking up vigorously with customer services now I am back, but the stip's staff and crew were all excellent, with the exception of a few decidedly miserable bar staff, and the perpetually tedious Hughie Taylor as entertainments manager.

I will certainly consider cruising again, and will be happy to go P&O again if I get sufficient corrective action for the three days of problems they caused me. I've not looked at doing a full review/write up yet, but hope to do so over the next week or so.

I also escaped any sickness, although a few people I met did suffer, and one member of staff told me that there had been so many cases, they were at Level Red. The officers certainly seemed to be mingling less the second week.