Texting while on the ship

Taking off on the Adventure on Sunday.

Talked to my provider att. They told me that texting is "free incoming text" and $.50 for all outgoing text.

Can someone tell me if this is just while on the islands or during the day. Or is it also at night and while on the ship? Just wanted to make sure the ships signal doesnt somehow overide and make texting more expensive.

Can't remember if I received any text on the sea days or at night on any of my other cruises.

I was on the Quantum and we got internet free. We could email back and forth but I couldn't text from my Verizon . Only because I would be paying

Verizon a big bill when I got home. I hope some day the cell phone companies

come down in price . Their loss I guess. I won't pay all the extra fees.

I pay enough for internet services and cell phone as it is.

And why we got free internet services on board that particular week I don't know.

You'll pay the ship rate while at sea. You'll pay the AT&T posted rate when on land.

AT&T rate for the specific country you are in.

And, if your phone is turned on to receive texts, you will also receive phone calls. $2.49 a minute.

If you have an iPhone and are connected through wireless you can text another iPhone for free. You and the other person need to have iPhone messaging set to iMessage though. Pictures won't go if I remember correctly.

There is a free app called GroupMe that you can use to send texts to non iPhone/iMessage folks while connected to wireless.

We used both on Adventure back in Feb over ship wireless. Kept phone in airplane mode with wireless on to avoid any roaming charges. Worked great.

Do you know if personal hot spots are usable on the cruise to send emails? I have a hotspot on my phone, so I was just wondering. Mainly interested in sending a few emails over the week to check on my son.

Here is the ATT cruise packages. The standard rates are list below the chart. Without a package Standard incoming text are free and outgoing are $.50 each.

It may be worth getting the $30 package which includes 50 free voice minutes and but all overages are only $1.00 per minute.

http://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html

These rates are only while "Roaming At Sea". You would have to look at your international rates for each port you will be in.

Check the AT&T cruise ship plan for smart phones. There is a list of countries that the plan is also good for when in port as long as you also use it on the ship. For example I get the $60 plan which is 50 mins talk time and 100 free outgo text income text are free. It will work in Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Caymen, and Haiti that I will be in. If you go through those allowances it will default to what ever the per use charge is based upon if you are on land or at sea. At sea the text are free incoming and .50 outgoing and the per use is $2.50 per minute.

While underway on the ship, it is my understanding that you will only have availability to communicate via wifi (apps/email etc). Phone and text capability that require data are not available while underway unless you have an app that allows calls and texts.

Am I correct here?

While underway on the ship, it is my understanding that you will only have availability to communicate via wifi (apps/email etc). Phone and text capability that require data are not available while underway unless you have an app that allows calls and texts.

Am I correct here?

No, Calls and text use the same system ie: GSM, 3G, etc.

Apps and email require internet(wifi).

You can turn off Data Roaming and still receive and make both calls and text without using data. You can also get an internet plan and use your apps/email without using data from your provider.

Edited by fred30

We have AT&T and used it to text between our party of four (3 of us on our family plan) and BIL who was on his own AT&T plan. The $.50 per outgoing text is correct for ANY time you are at sea, day or night. We texted several times a day to keep in touch with our teenager when needed, and sent and received just a few texts back home to check on elderly parents, etc. We didn't take phones with us on excursions as we were always together. Total charges added to our phone bill was only $12.00-$15.00. We strictly used phones for texting. Did not make any phone calls and had data/roaming blocked or turned off on the phones. If you don't intend to use data/internet, then you probably don't need one of the roaming packages. If you do need to use data/internet, then it's probably worth it.

No, Calls and text use the same system ie: GSM, 3G, etc.

Apps and email require internet(wifi).

You can turn off Data Roaming and still receive and make both calls and text without using data.

I might be confused (Easily done when talking phones)... But I can make a phone call and get text message while underway with no land in sight?

EDIT: taking into consideration that I have (1) an international capable phone and (2) have paid for an international (or cruise ship) plan with my carrier?

Edited by BOLTFISH

I might be confused (Easily done when talking phones)... But I can make a phone call and get text message while underway with no land in sight?

Yes, the ship has its own cell system called "Cellular at Sea". They turn this system on once they are a certain distance from shore(I think several miles). Your phone will say "Cellular at Sea". The calls are $2.50 a minute and text vary by your carrier. If your using ATT and have a text plan the rate is normally $.50 to send and free to receive if you have available minutes on your text plan. ATT also has several other plan for calling. The lowest plan is $30.00 and gives you 50 free minutes of calls. The good part about this plan is the overage for calls is only $1.00 and if you plan on making more calls they have other plans as well.

You should check with your provider to get pricing specific to your plan.

Yes, the ship has its own cell system called "Cellular at Sea". They turn this system on once they are a certain distance from shore(I think several miles). Your phone will say "Cellular at Sea". The calls are $2.50 a minute and text vary by your carrier. If your using ATT and have a text plan the rate is normally $.50 to send and free to receive if you have available minutes on your text plan. ATT also has several other plan for calling. The lowest plan is $30.00 and gives you 50 free minutes of calls. The good part about this plan is the overage for calls is only $1.00 and if you plan on making more calls they have other plans as well.

You should check with your provider to get pricing specific to your plan.

Thanks Fred... Sorry for the silly questions. This isn't my first bout of not understanding phone bills on this site.

I have Verizon and I just checked and they have a similar cruise ship plan that can be prorated it appears. Based on what your saying, and as long as I pay for the international plan through my carrier, nothing really changes regarding phone communication except that the prices are significantly higher. I can still get a text or make a call 24/7 while at sea or in port? Further, if I have significant data within that plan, I can even use an app or two?

Lastly is the cellular at sea super slow (below 3g) and is getting an outside line difficult?

Just remember if you leave your cell phone on while onboard and a call comes in and you don't answer it you will be charged 1 minute for the call. Also, you will be charged for your time to check your voicemail.

Thanks Fred... Sorry for the silly questions. This isn't my first bout of not understanding phone bills on this site.

I have Verizon and I just checked and they have a similar cruise ship plan that can be prorated it appears. Based on what your saying, and as long as I pay for the international plan through my carrier, nothing really changes regarding phone communication except that the prices are significantly higher. I can still get a text or make a call 24/7 while at sea or in port? Further, if I have significant data within that plan, I can even use an app or two?

Lastly is the cellular at sea super slow (below 3g) and is getting an outside line difficult?

With Verizon you have two options.

1. Purchase the cruise plan. This only covers while you are at sea, NOT in port. Your phone will say "Cellular at Sea" instead of Verizon in the upper left hand corner where it shows your provider. It's $25 for 100mb of data (very light email/imessage, etc.) or $40 for 100 talk minutes, 100 sent texts and no charge for incoming text. Remember iMessage uses data, SMS text does not.

2. Purchase the International voice or data plan, which will only work while you are on land in port. Once you're back at sea, you'll have no service. Charges vary by country. For instance the exact same voice/data combo package costs $40 for Belize but only $15 for Mexico.

Just remember if you leave your cell phone on while onboard and a call comes in and you don't answer it you will be charged 1 minute for the call. Also, you will be charged for your time to check your voicemail.

Awesome to know and Thanks... Verizons plan looks like this...

$40 for 100 minutes talk (25¢ overage), 100 sent messages (25¢ overage) and Unlimited incoming messages. I think this covers the ports of call as well.

Edited by BOLTFISH

With Verizon you have two options.

1. Purchase the cruise plan. This only covers while you are at sea, NOT in port. Your phone will say "Cellular at Sea" instead of Verizon in the upper left hand corner where it shows your provider. It's $25 for 100mb of data (very light email/imessage, etc.) or $40 for 100 talk minutes, 100 sent texts and no charge for incoming text. Remember iMessage uses data, SMS text does not.

2. Purchase the International voice or data plan, which will only work while you are on land in port. Once you're back at sea, you'll have no service. Charges vary by country. For instance the exact same voice/data combo package costs $40 for Belize but only $15 for Mexico.

Hmmm... Verizon was very tricky with their pricing I just checked. I thought the one plan (#1 above) would cover me for both on/off the ships. So I need two plans to cover me 100%... We will be going to Mexico, GC and Jamaica.

Awesome to know and Thanks... Verizons plan looks like this...

$40 for 100 minutes talk (25¢ overage), 100 sent messages (25¢ overage) and Unlimited incoming messages. I think this covers the prots of call as well.

You always have the option of buying no plan and just pay for your usage. With Verizon, texts are 50cents and 5 cents, calls on the ship are $2.49/min and calls in port can vary. Use their interactive planning guide to figure out exactly what the costs are for your trip. I just did for our cruise to Canada and texts are at domestic rates, so free since I have unlimited texting, and calls are 89cents per minute. We plan to turn data roaming off and will text only so not going to add a plan at all.

You always have the option of buying no plan and just pay for your usage. With Verizon, texts are 50cents and 5 cents, calls on the ship are $2.49/min and calls in port can vary. Use their interactive planning guide to figure out exactly what the costs are for your trip. I just did for our cruise to Canada and texts are at domestic rates, so free since I have unlimited texting, and calls are 89cents per minute. We plan to turn data roaming off and will text only so not going to add a plan at all.

Good answer, we don't buy a plan/package. Don't need data or apps to make receive calls or text. All you need is international calling on your phone and Verizon does that for free. As long as there is a signal you are good to go. A 7 day cruise our bill has an average of 15 to 25$ in extra charges. Lots of ports the calls are less than 2$pm

Edited by setsail

We have AT&T and used it to text between our party of four (3 of us on our family plan) and BIL who was on his own AT&T plan. The $.50 per outgoing text is correct for ANY time you are at sea, day or night. We texted several times a day to keep in touch with our teenager when needed, and sent and received just a few texts back home to check on elderly parents, etc. We didn't take phones with us on excursions as we were always together. Total charges added to our phone bill was only $12.00-$15.00. We strictly used phones for texting. Did not make any phone calls and had data/roaming blocked or turned off on the phones. If you don't intend to use data/internet, then you probably don't need one of the roaming packages. If you do need to use data/internet, then it's probably worth it.

Sue, thank you so much. Getting lot of mixed replies here. But this is what ATT told me and just wanted to double check. Will turn off data/roaming. And just rely on text

Also thanks to whoever said an ignored call is just $1. No need to an weber if I don't think its an emergency

Do you know if personal hot spots are usable on the cruise to send emails? I have a hotspot on my phone, so I was just wondering. Mainly interested in sending a few emails over the week to check on my son.

Your hotspot isn't pulling an internet connection out of thin air. It gets the connectivity through the cell phone towers. The only such towers in the middle of the sea are Cellular@Sea cell towers on the ship.