Visa for Australia

NW Pacific

Will post this ? om other Boards also.

Have booked Cruise from Hawaii to Syndey in Oct. Noted on itinerary that Visa is needed for Syndey, AU. Chatted on line with Holland- "she" stated Holland does not sell or provide Visas, I need to do my own research for one.

Anyone with first hand experience- I was wrong in assuming that I would be made aware of this from the "get go".

Know Visas are not hard to obtain- but would appreciate anyone sailing this or similiar itineray from US, what you did to obain Visa.

I've done this twice. The first time I was on a cruise that started in New Zealand and ended in Sydney (after a couple of other Australian ports), and the second time I flew in to Sydney to start a cruise. Getting the visa was very easy, but has to be done in advance.

I don't remember the details exactly at this point. Google Australian visas and you should be directed to an official Australian government site. You apply there. You provide personal information, including passport number, expiration date, etc., pay by credit card (it was around $20 US at the time), and you get an e-mail almost instantaneously.

I printed the e-mail, but it wasn't necessary. All the info is in their records when you arrive.

I printed the e-mail, but it wasn't necessary. All the info is in their records when you arrive.

I would definitely recommend keeping a copy of the email with the Visa information with your travel documents. When I came through passport control in January, my passport was not able to be read electronically (despite having the e-chips and all the other bells and whistles) and they had trouble finding my records when they entered my passport number manually. Having my Visa confirmation on hand made it so much easier to clear immigration.

Edited by ellieanne

In the past HAL was able to get the Australian ETAs for us on board. "She" may not have been correct. Check the HAL website - For Booked Guests - Do I Need a Visa - then in the body of the discussion 'For information on certain visa requirements, please click here'. or try this link: hollandamerica.com/assets/Miscellaneous/Holland-America-cruises-ALL-Visas-info-sheet.pdf. Do know the on board visas are more expensive that what you can get on line.

Australian visas (ETAs) are so easy to get, would recommend you get one before you leave and bring the email printed out with you as previously recommended.

I would definitely recommend keeping a copy of the email with the Visa information with your travel documents. When I came through passport control in January, my passport was not able to be read electronically (despite having the e-chips and all the other bells and whistles) and they had trouble finding my records when they entered my passport number manually. Having my Visa confirmation on hand made it so much easier to clear immigration.

Good point. Technology doesn't always work as expected.

And don't let anyone talk you into doing the work for you. It is simple, easy and cheapest to do yourself online. Last summer my DD traveled as a chaperone for a school group going to NZ and Australia. The "education-based" travel agency that arranged the trip charged participants $45 each for an Australian ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) that cost <$20 online at the website mentioned by Scrapnana. My daughter even told everyone that they were overpaying but she was the only one who did it herself. The TA was very stern with her about doing it on her own and how she'd have to be flown home on her own dime if there was a problem.

There was no problem. Print the email for back up. BTW, we were in Australia in 2009 and the process and cost were identical.

Edited by 0bnxshs

We have been to Australia three times and our TA has arranged for visa (ETA) and as far as I know at no cost to us. There has not been any fuss at customs with the document we have receive.

Just got back from a Princess 12 day cruise from Auckland to Sydney. Australia has changed the information they require and the cruise lines are no longer able to furnish it. I concur with those who say get it on line. It is easy and fairly cheap. But you will need it so don't wait for HAL to provide it, go out and get it on line a the link the person above posted.

Oh, and enjoy your cruise!

Cheers, Kenn

Just got back from a Princess 12 day cruise from Auckland to Sydney. Australia has changed the information they require and the cruise lines are no longer able to furnish it. I concur with those who say get it on line. It is easy and fairly cheap. But you will need it so don't wait for HAL to provide it, go out and get it on line a the link the person above posted.

Oh, and enjoy your cruise!

Cheers, Kenn

Did you clear immigration at the first Australian port of call? I presume the immigration people came on board to clear everyone. How long did it take before you were allowed ashore?

We have been to Australia three times and our TA has arranged for visa (ETA) and as far as I know at no cost to us. There has not been any fuss at customs with the document we have receive.
We've only been to Australia twice, but like you, we've not been charged for our visa. The first time (1997) the airline took care of that. When we returned several years ago the airline (same one) no longer did that, but our TA took care it. Our TA is part of a huge consortium. He explained that they had access to a computer system where they could issue the visa and that most TAs didn't have that access.

Did you clear immigration at the first Australian port of call? I presume the immigration people came on board to clear everyone. How long did it take before you were allowed ashore?

It was strange but once our 1st Australian port was Darwin and I remember no formal immigration for passengers and once the ship was cleared it was off we went. Then a year later our 1st port was the new terminal in Sydney and we had the standard lines, customs and immigration check points, food and drug sniffing dogs, etc. in the terminal. The officials were efficient, there were many stations for check-ins and it took maybe 20 minutes to clear a long line of people as everyone wanted to get off as soon as possible.

We've only been to Australia twice, but like you, we've not been charged for our visa. The first time (1997) the airline took care of that. When we returned several years ago the airline (same one) no longer did that, but our TA took care it. Our TA is part of a huge consortium. He explained that they had access to a computer system where they could issue the visa and that most TAs didn't have that access.

Anyone with access to the Internet can process the visa. We have done it ourselves in the past for our trips to Australia. I cannot imagine any TA who would not have access to the Internet.

Last year DD and I flew to Australia. We applied for an Electric Travel A and it was attached to our passports in less than 2 minutes. I printed out the approval letter with the dates they were valid for my records as you can't "see" them. But as another poster said, they get checked at your home airport and you are not allowed on the plane/ship without it.

Fast, easy and inexpensive.

Anyone with access to the Internet can process the visa. We have done it ourselves in the past for our trips to Australia. I cannot imagine any TA who would not have access to the Internet.

I believe what Mary Ellen is saying is that not every TA has access to the computer system that allows them to process the visa at no charge, and that's why many of us didn't get that particular service from our TA.

It may be "no charge" but the TA, or whoever, still needs to take the time to enter the information, and assume whatever small exposure to liability there is in case of a SNAFU.

It may only take 10 minutes, but a whole working day can be consumed by dozens of these small tasks, and unless you are working for free, that can be a real problem.

That being said, I am all for "doing it for yourself". I love the freedom and power modern technology provides to travelers.

I'm sure you paid for your visas too. The point of my post is that 'some' TAs have access (or at least did in 2013) to a computer system (please note that I have not typed "Internet") that allows them get the visas for no charge. At the time he told me the name of the system, but as I don't have access to it, as I do the Internet, I've forgotten.

Our TA did say that if I did them myself, via the Internet, there would be a charge. We did receive a confirmation of our Australian visas and I did verify that our information was correct. No muss, no fuss, no charge.

Ruth, you have excellent reading comprehension. :)