2 one-way tickets vs round trip

irishcropper

Anyone have any experience to share doing his? I will be using Choice Air to book tickets to cruise from Barcelona. We are in the U.S. Checking on Choice Air website we would save almost $400 by booking 2 one way vs. round trip.

Anything I should be aware of or check further?

Thank you!

Anything I should be aware of or check further?
The only thing that immediately comes to mind is the possibility that if you should need to change or cancel the trip, you may be in for two lots of change or cancellation fees instead of one. This is a common consideration for when you're doing this with tickets bought directly from the airline (whether cash or award tickets). The same may apply to Choice Air. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's not worth doing this, but you need to be aware of it.

Of course, since there are NO dates or cities mentioned, real factual answers have to be put on hold. But if you are confident you have done all the research needed, and you are aware of all the pitfalls, then do as you see fit. Caveat emptor.

I do this when I fly, mainly because I have multiple airports that I can choose from. For example on our cruise we have booked we are flying Midway to Miami and then on the way home it was cheaper to fly FLL to O'hare. I just do it to leave my options open to cheaper flights. It has worked really well for me. This trip, especially on the way home my trip into o'hare instead of midway was $360 cheaper. So, it worked really well for me.

My sister lives by midway, so I'll probably owe her some gas money to have her come get me at o'hare but it's worth it for the savings!

Lately we have primarily doing one way flights. We are very flexible and find that one way pricing can be very good if one shops. Our last one way Choice Air flight from Barcelona to Calgary was only 475 USD.

We are on the last leg home of a three month trip from Calgary to Australia via Thailand, Malaysia, and home with a stopover in Honolulu. Seven flights each (all one way) to Bangkok ( w/ 2connections) to start and three to get home from Perth Australia (because we want a stopover)where we disembarked from a cruise.

Our flights cost a total of $2,500 CAD per person. We did not use cruise air for any of them. ANA, airAsia, Tiger Air, Virgin, Jetstar(in three hours from now) and an Air Canada flight (with a connection) for the very last leg. We did the same out of thing last Sept/Oct in Europe.

One ways fit the way we travel. I would hazard a guess that we have actually saved money by doing one ways. But this is completely dependent on your travel plans, your destination airports, and your flexibility.

Edited by iancal

Have you checked directly with the airlines to compare prices with Choice Air? Also, be aware that Choice Air isn't WSIWYG - when you actually try to buy a ticket you will often find that the fare our routing that you want isn't available.

As for the question, yes, I've booked one way tickets for a round trip, but only when I want to lock in a really good price on the outbound portion of my itinerary.

I just spent a lot of time researching before buying on Choice Air -- and lo and behold, two one way tickets were a better value (by about $300/pp) than a r/t ticket. The price was significantly less than the airline (either r/t or o/w) and held consistent even as we have gotten closer to departure.

For reference, I was looking ORD-FCO/FCO-ORD, and was even flexible on days.