Norwegian Sun newbies -- what did you like about her? Any negatives?

treesah

We have done 3 cruises on the Sun in the past, and have one more booked for 2016. My favorite thing about the Norwegian Sun is the crew on board, they are in my opinion the best and most friendly in the NCL fleet.

The Italian restaurant (Il Adagio) is also one of my favorites on the Sun, because of its design. All tables have a sea view, either by the two-persons tables next to the windows, or by the elevated booths for 4 persons. That is the reason why on the Sun the VIP breakfasts and lunches (for people in suites) is served there and not in Cagney's.

sun_modal-ilAdagio.jpg

We also just sailed the Sun in Feb. and we felt like this ship was NEVER crowded. We ate at the Italian restaurant twice because we loved the views and the food. The Observation Lounge was a favorite of ours each night, with great entertainment and excellent views- always room to sit and never crowded. The cruise director was very good. Another thing we enjoyed was the Sports Lounge for a light dinner or snack. The staff was so friendly. We also had an aft balcony which was a new experience for us and the cabin was exceptionally large.

The Sun was not one for the excitement seeker, rather the happy sedate cruiser!

We just sailed on the Sun 4 months ago and had a blast and loved her (then sailed the following week on the Sky, her sister ship and also loved the ship).

I have a full review listed in my signature line if you are interested in it. It's pretty long (because it also includes the ports), but has TONS of pictures. :)

Thanks rpb718!!

Will use your comments especially about the shows we leave next Sunday!! And will make GOOD FRIENDS with Dimitri!!!!

RedRover96

Just back from the Sun yesterday, and I agree with everything so far. If you like acoustic music, check out Victor (in the Windjammer bar most nights). He was brand new to the Sun last week and we really enjoyed listening to him sing and play his guitar. Awesome server in the Windjammer, I don't remember his name but it started with a Z. Between him and the UBP, my husband and I never wanted for a drink.

We really liked the Sun, it really didn't feel crowded (except in the buffet) and we had a sold out ship for spring break. At peak times the bars were crowded but we were always served with a smile.

Wow! All positive postings about the Sun. My DH and I and two of our friends will be sailing Northbound out of Vancouver on May 25th. We are in an aft balcony. So excited for this trip. I'm glad that everyone had positive comments of the Sun.

One question about the "old vacuum" style hair dryers in the room. Have they been upgraded? Or do I have to lug my hair dryer with me?

Thanks, Joyce

Just off the Sun on 3/15.

Smaller ship with lots of nooks and crannies to get away from the masses. There's a walkway out front on deck 12 that you can only get to through from the Observation Lounge bar. Great forward views from the lounge as well.

One of the best crews I've encountered - very friendly and attentive.

Daily poolside BBQs were excellent. Plenty of chairs and tables on the deck.

Loved the Great Outdoors. Drinks from the Sports Bar and the bar by the Great Outdoors were the best. (Find Dimitri the bartender and ask for "the Mary-Ellen drink" with Malibu, Chambord, Sierra Mist with a squeeze of lime. He also make THE best bloody mary's - called a "Garden Mary" if I recall correctly - and uses Patron in the margaritas instead of a lower-level brand.)

Lost my way many times on the ship - getting from mid-ship to La Cucina requires walking through the mid-ship MDR as a shortcut. Strange elevator layouts - mostly concentrated towards mid-ship forward - there's 6 within very close proximity.

The buffet layout still confuses me, but I didn't do the buffet except when looking for a snack. Had cold soups too - I remember the blueberry one.

I appreciated the fact that they posted menus for both MDR in one place in the main atrium.

Not quite sure what to make of Las Ramblas. Seems a waste of space, and the tapas were passable. Get the spinach pastry.

Loved the Le Bistro location and layout on this ship. La Cucina was also very nice.

I didn't do many shows, but do catch the Tim Kaminsky late-nite show one evening. Not as much "nickel-and-diming" as I've seen on other ships, which means that there wasn't anyone selling those pull-tab tickets before shows.

There was one day late in the afternoon when the crew officers, concierge, CD, etc. held a big rally in the main atrium - listed as "Sing-Along with the Norwegian Sun Family". Fun to hear them singing "Take Me Home, Country Roads", "Sweet Caroline" and other songs.

A real small ship feel. One of our better cruises.

Saw Tim Kaminsky on the Jewel a couple of years ago. I hope he's still on the Sun in June :D

Love the size of the Sun. Extremely friendly crew. The aft mini suites are WONDERFUL. Sauna and steam room free but no thermal spa, miss those heated tile loungers. Will be on the Sun for the third time in May for Northbound from Vancouver in one of the aft minis. Can hardly wait.

Are you on the May 25th sailing? If so, come join our roll call!

Wow! All positive postings about the Sun. My DH and I and two of our friends will be sailing Northbound out of Vancouver on May 25th. We are in an aft balcony. So excited for this trip. I'm glad that everyone had positive comments of the Sun.

One question about the "old vacuum" style hair dryers in the room. Have they been upgraded? Or do I have to lug my hair dryer with me?

Thanks, Joyce

I have to lug mine because of the land portion of our trip. Fortunately, it's a light-weight, folding one.

Granted we don't really have any comparison knowledge, but being our 11 night southern caribbean cruise on the Sun was our first and has us hooked on cruising from now on, you will not be disappointed with her or the crew onboard!

enjoy

Just back from the Sun yesterday, and I agree with everything so far. If you like acoustic music, check out Victor (in the Windjammer bar most nights). He was brand new to the Sun last week and we really enjoyed listening to him sing and play his guitar. Awesome server in the Windjammer, I don't remember his name but it started with a Z. Between him and the UBP, my husband and I never wanted for a drink.

We really liked the Sun, it really didn't feel crowded (except in the buffet) and we had a sold out ship for spring break. At peak times the bars were crowded but we were always served with a smile.

Thanks for reporting...a couple of questions if you don't mind:

Have they started using the new MDR menus yet?

How big an impact did the UDP have on ability to be seated in the Specialty Restaurants.

TIA,

How big an impact did the UDP have on ability to be seated in the Specialty Restaurants.

TIA,

We ate a few nights in various specialties - La Cucina & Le Bistro (twice) - there were always open tables. But we also made our reservations in the 7 to 8PM range - and here's why. We just changed to DST the day the cruise started, so we were already 1 hour ahead (a res at 7 was still a res at 6 to us). And since the ports we hit on the western route are ahead of that, we had to push our clocks ahead 1 hour again the 2nd night - so now a res at 8 felt like a res at 6 for us. When you go, you'll be use to the DST change but don't forget that for most of the cruise you will be pushed 1 hour ahead. Most folks may not take this into account, so a later reservation is not as late as you think.

-- I have to make a correction here, we had to change our clocks back 1 hour the 2nd day. So it was a net wash and we ate at 7 until we had to move ahead 1 hour towards the end and ate at 8 (which felt like 7). How the time change will effect you will vary.

Edited by rpb718

As of the February 7th sailing they were still using the old menus.

Harriet

Interesting as it was stated at our Thanksgiving cruise that they would switch at the end of January to the new menus. Wonder if they new menus will be in place for our June cruise?

We are on the Sun out of Tampa for 29 day cruise. Tampa to Alaska. First time cruising! What can we expect. We are in ocean view on 9 deck. Packing is an issue because of 29 days plus variety of weather. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

We are on the Sun out of Tampa for 29 day cruise. Tampa to Alaska. First time cruising! What can we expect. We are in ocean view on 9 deck. Packing is an issue because of 29 days plus variety of weather. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

Wow that is quite a first cruise! Come join our rollcall for the first portion of your trip here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46051823&posted=1#post46051823

As far as packing goes, Ellis is right, you should consider planning to do some laundry aboard. It isn't cheap, but it is better than paying $$$ to the airlines to fly extra bags. Norwegian offers a "all you can stuff in the bag" special typically once a week - cost is somewhere around $25. Alternatively, you can plan on spending some of your port days at laundrymats:mad:

If you take me with you I can give you pointers in person! :cool:

Hi Momellis,

I am sure you are in for a great time! Wish I could continue to Alaska with you, but the boss has other plans... :( This is my 3rd cruise, but first on the Sun! Come join our roll call for the Tampa to Vancouver part of the cruise. There should be one for the 10 days after as well.

Thanks for reporting...a couple of questions if you don't mind:

Have they started using the new MDR menus yet?

TIA,

I didn't have the UDP, so we did not eat in any specialty restaurants, sorry.

I don't think they have the new menus, ours had the left side being a "daily selections" and the right side said "favorites" I believe. I forgot to take any pics, sorry. I remember the salmon and a pasta always being on the favorites side. If you point me in the direction of a pic of the new menus I might be able to tell you more.

Edited by becko2000

Just got off the Sun on Sunday, could not wait. We have only cruised twice before, first and last time with NCL. When we boarded the ship last week the first thing we noticed was a sulfur like smell, thought it would go away when we departed. It didn't. Found out it was actually a sewage smell and they acknowledged they were having a problem and they were working on it. It did go away mid week but returned later on. The smell was so bad that I could only sit on the balcony for 10 minutes or so. We went once to Seven Seas but could not finish the meal because of the smell. Their way of making it better was to send a plate of chocolate strawberries. I had read a review on cruise critic before we left about odor in the aft cabins and thought "it can't be that bad" ......Yes it can be. in Cozumel the Epic was beside us on the pier, you could get on the Sun blindfolded, just follow the stench. Should be renamed Norwegian Honey, as in honey wagon.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Just found this site shortly after booking my first cruise. I gotta say this site is awesome and I've learned so much from you all! I usually do all inclusive resorts but decided to try something new. I'm nervous but excited at the same time. So many questions I've had I've found the answers to here so thanks to everyone. Sailing April 12th-19th on the NCL Sun and this thread has put my mind at ease (I inadvertedly booked a "small" cruise ship). I think it sounds perfect for us. Hoping to meet lots of new friends :)

Just got off the Sun on Sunday, could not wait. We have only cruised twice before, first and last time with NCL. When we boarded the ship last week the first thing we noticed was a sulfur like smell, thought it would go away when we departed. It didn't. Found out it was actually a sewage smell and they acknowledged they were having a problem and they were working on it. It did go away mid week but returned later on. The smell was so bad that I could only sit on the balcony for 10 minutes or so. We went once to Seven Seas but could not finish the meal because of the smell. Their way of making it better was to send a plate of chocolate strawberries. I had read a review on cruise critic before we left about odor in the aft cabins and thought "it can't be that bad" ......Yes it can be. in Cozumel the Epic was beside us on the pier, you could get on the Sun blindfolded, just follow the stench. Should be renamed Norwegian Honey, as in honey wagon.:eek:

Was on the cruise after yours.

No smell anywhere at anytime the entire cruise.

Hi all! Just found this site shortly after booking my first cruise. I gotta say this site is awesome and I've learned so much from you all! I usually do all inclusive resorts but decided to try something new. I'm nervous but excited at the same time. So many questions I've had I've found the answers to here so thanks to everyone. Sailing April 12th-19th on the NCL Sun and this thread has put my mind at ease (I inadvertedly booked a "small" cruise ship). I think it sounds perfect for us. Hoping to meet lots of new friends :)

Welcome! If you haven't already, you should join the roll call for your cruise. They are pretty active . I've been lurking since we will be boarding Sun as you disembark. Have a great first cruise!