The truth and not the hype

In addition it is common to get decent deals to Miami from within the U.S., less so to European points. In other words, it's often cheaper to fly to Miami than to London, Paris, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Barcelona, Rome, Istanbul, etc.

Most especially if, like me, business class is the bare minimum.

Got to tempt those folk in the U.S. to cross the great pond, foreign parts, and so on. Longer flights, jet lag, more expensive. Got to sweeten the pot, make it seem an attractive deal. For the Caribbean from the U.S., the main port is Miami which is to say home ground, familiar territory. English is spoken at the airport.

Definitely agree but isn't what you describe to be driven more by longer flights than seasonality!? We do use Regent air as we are perfectly content with Business Class air (on certain airlines). We always pay more based on the length of the flight than the season. We paid over $3,500/person (if I remember correctly) to upgrade to Business Class on our cruise from Singapore to Australia (the same season as Caribbean cruises). To complicate matters further, we are only paying $2,000/person to fly from Vancouver to Cape Town (round-trip - Business) on British Airways. You can't touch that price doing it on your own. It takes two days on the calendar and approximately 20 hours flight time to reach Cape Town.

My point is simply that airfare prices are much more complicated than we think.

No, it's not only longer flights. Europe in summer is high season thus, hello!, seasonality. The larger credits for flights to Europe are seasonal, and so are the profits Regent garners from same. More folk want to cruise Europe in summer = higher demand AND higher air fare SO more latitude for Regent to "discount" flights. It may seem counter intuitive but it's not and a Regent is here to tell you all about it.

No, it's not only longer flights. Europe in summer is high season thus, hello!, seasonality. The larger credits for flights to Europe are seasonal, and so are the profits Regent garners from same. More folk want to cruise Europe in summer = higher demand AND higher air fare SO more latitude for Regent to "discount" flights. It may seem counter intuitive but it's not and a Regent is here to tell you all about it.

On my -- this is making my head hurt but I'll try to figure this out again:) So, are you saying that Caribbean cruises have low air credits because of seasonality and that European cruises have high air credits for the same reason? IMO, that is not possible.

In terms of your other post....... we absolutely do not allow Regent to make air arrangements for us. We deviate (the cost for people that are not Platinum or above is $350/couple -- if it has not gone up.). We pay nothing for this benefit. We pick the flights and the airlines. If the airline is not contracted with Regent, we pay a supplement that still is less than if we booked the airfare ourselves. We typically fly Cathay Pacific and British Airways. On our upcoming cruise (that we cancelled THREE times before giving in to the lousy flights) we will be flying Delta. While we are not happy about it, there are few choices -- even if we paid for it ourselves. At least there are flatbed seats instead of angled ones. We are very fussy but do not feel that First Class air is worth it. You obviously feel differently.

We traveled internationally for 18 years prior to our first cruise with Regent in 2004 so we have hit everything on our bucket list. We are not high maintenance and do not require everything to be first class. We do not need a Master Suite or even a Grand Suite (although they are nice - they are not required). We enjoy good service and food and Regent provides that for us.

Not really sure why I am explaining this except that you bring up the need for flights, suites and service that are above and beyond what most Regent passengers require. While I have no issue with that, it is difficult for me to understand and respond to some of your posts. IMO, if Regent did not exceed your expectations, I question whether Silversea or Seabourn will. Hopefully I am wrong.

Edited by Travelcat2

Of course it's possible, in fact happens. Try this: the higher the overall air cost as perceived by cruisers, the more profit for Regent. Regent can appear generous whilst raking it in with regard to Euro air which many cruisers think is difficult so another reason book Regent.

It's not one size fits all and from the U.S., the Caribbean and Europe are mondo different critters.

Edited by OctoberKat

To complicate matters further, we are only paying $2,000/person to fly from Vancouver to Cape Town (round-trip - Business) on British Airways. You can't touch that price doing it on your own.

According to the RSSC web site, for the R/T Capetown cruise which I believe you are referring to, the promotional business class airfare is $1999 EACH WAY PER PERSON.

How were you able to obtain $2000 R/T per person business class air?

gnomie :)

According to the RSSC web site, for the R/T Capetown cruise which I believe you are referring to, the promotional business class airfare is $1999 EACH WAY PER PERSON.

How were you able to obtain $2000 R/T per person business class air?

gnomie :)

You're right -- just double checked our Regent Guest Statement and realized that I was reading one line of the statement instead of two! My mistake - glad that you caught it!

As indicated in an earlier post, this was not our experience on the Navigator or the Voyager in a Master Suite. In terms of getting something in writing from Regent headquarters, good luck. Unlike Oceania, the policy you experienced (room service from specialty restaurants in the Master Suite) is not in writing anywhere. Unlimited visits to specialty restaurants is also not in writing. Definitely agree that there is a disconnect between the ship and headquarters. There are many things that are done on the ship that headquarters does not know about. Actually, IMO, the ships crew is much more lenient in their policies than headquarters.

Actually, I had no problem getting a list of the perks. Perhaps your TA and/or your butler neglected to properly advise you as to what you were entitled. Or perhaps the policy was different when you were onboard. In any event, I was clearly advised by my TA, "headquarters" and my butler regarding this policy. Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps you are sometimes incorrect? It seems not.

Actually, I had no problem getting a list of the perks. Perhaps your TA and/or your butler neglected to properly advise you as to what you were entitled. Or perhaps the policy was different when you were onboard. In any event, I was clearly advised by my TA, "headquarters" and my butler regarding this policy. Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps you are sometimes incorrect? It seems not.

Hmmmmm, I was incorrect just a couple of posts ago -- no big deal! In terms staying in the top suites, I can only post my experiences. I have not heard of (or read on CC) of ordering from the specialty restaurants and being served by my butler on Regent. However, we have done this when we were in a Vista suite on Oceania. It is clearly explained on the Oceania website. Kindly point us to the place on the Regent website where this benefit is described.

Thank you!

I have never heard of being served in one's suite from Prime 7 or Signatures on Regent. And when I asked the wonderful Pritham for an Indian meal he arranged for it to be served to us in the Compass Rose. (Thereby causing envy from other tables...) On Oceania being served in the suite from speciality restaurants is SOP for PH suites and above.

But as for airfares - I would cruise more often if I didn't have to pay outrageous airfares on top of the cruise fare... coming from Switzerland we do not get any air included by Regent (or Oceania) and when we do a TA crossing we have to pay what amounts to a RT business class fare just to get the one way to Miami to get the ship. (Of course when the cruise is in the Mediterranean there is either no airfare or very little...) We DO get the non use of air credit on our cruise bills but compared to what we pay (can be over $10'000) it doesn't amount to much!

It seems I have started a semi-s**t storm.

I humbly apologize.

:D:D:D,

Scott

Things are kinda different over here on the Regent board, as opposed to the Crystal forum, aren't they?!! The closest thing to this board that's on Crystal's, is the mini s--t storm about "flunkies" from the Edie thread (giggle). Oh, but then there's clothing debate....lol!

As someone who's cruised both and LIKES both lines, the Regent kids are a knowledgeable bunch, but they do get there panties in a twist fairly often.

Don't let 'em scare you!

Well, on the Voyager in the MS we were able to order anything for dinner including our wonderful Indian dinner and we invited two friends to dine with us....but that was several years ago. Maybe that has changed.

Edited by Suite Travels

Things are kinda different over here on the Regent board, as opposed to the Crystal forum, aren't they?!! The closest thing to this board that's on Crystal's, is the mini s--t storm about "flunkies" from the Edie thread (giggle). Oh, but then there's clothing debate....lol!

As someone who's cruised both and LIKES both lines, the Regent kids are a knowledgeable bunch, but they do get there panties in a twist fairly often.

Don't let 'em scare you!

Linda, good to see you posting on the Regent board! I read the Crystal board mostly to read Keith's comments and love CwazeAndCwaze videos (also the latest happenings with the buy-out). When I was a lurker on the Regent board many years ago, it was frightening (as it can be today). Finally I jumped in to ask questions and later to post what I learned from sailing on Regent. I continue to learn things by reading the board. In terms of "get there panties in a twist"........ ya think?;)

BeginTheBeguine: Apparently service from specialty restaurants is another unwritten policy. As I just posted, I learn new things all the time on the Regent board. IMO, it is important for the OP to understand that this is not a written policy (unless someone can find it on the website) - just in case they are not offered this option. Also, I do not think I would order from P-7 for delivery to my suite. After all, they attempt to cook their steaks to perfection and it may not be as perfect 10 minutes later when it arrives in the suite.

Edited by Travelcat2

Scott you asked a reasonable question and you got some good answers albeit different ones. No, you did not start a storm.

Mudhen I agree with you the Crystal board is different but in general has the same tone. The Edie thread is laughable as well as all the speculation about GHKG. Crystal has a few who love to stir the pot for no reason and probably are not happy with anything in life...just miserable people I would like to avoid. Well, that is life.

Hmmmmm, I was incorrect just a couple of posts ago -- no big deal! In terms staying in the top suites, I can only post my experiences. I have not heard of (or read on CC) of ordering from the specialty restaurants and being served by my butler on Regent. However, we have done this when we were in a Vista suite on Oceania. It is clearly explained on the Oceania website. Kindly point us to the place on the Regent website where this benefit is described.

Thank you![/quote

After I wrote my last comment, I remembered that on a cruise we took on the Voyager in December of 2010, we were also allowed to order from Prime Seven in the Master Suite. We did this for Christmas Eve and one other time. Really, do you think I am making this up? As I said, Regent is free to change the policies as it chooses, and the best idea is to have your TA check with Regent re: what special perks are included before you leave. I have not seen this policy on the Regent website, just as I have not seen many other perks for various suites on the website, but both times I have been in the Master Suite on two different ships (2010 and 2013) it has been allowed. Rather than tell a person that is paying for the MS that it is not allowed, I suggest it is far better to tell them to check. I will say I deal with a TA that is not a huge online agency, but is one of Regent's top sellers, and due to a south Florida location, has a personal relationship with many Regent officers. Maybe that makes it easier for her to get correct answers.

vrhiatt - No, definitely didn't think that you were making it up -- just had not heard of this policy before (and I'm apparently not the only one). We, too have stayed in Master Suites on the Voyager and Navigator and Grand Suites on the Voyager (they typically have the same perks). We did not ask for course by course service from a specialty restaurant simply because we did not hear of this type of benefit prior to sailing on Oceania.

The only reason I hesitate to recommend something that isn't a written policy is because it could set someone up for disappointment (just in case they are not permitted this benefit on board). It is difficult - even for some TA's -- to get to the right person or persons at Regent that would be able to give accurate information on these types of policies. Now that the OP (and whomever is reading this thread) knows that this perk may be possible, it is something they can ask for. As you posted, it is a good idea to get it in writing from Regent as this is not a written policy and your butler may not be aware of it.

Just to further explain my concern, there is a recent Oceania thread where there is a written policy but Oceania tries to dissuade passengers from taking advantage of the policy. It has to do with passengers in PH and above suites having the option to order from all four specialty restaurants (on the Marina or Riviera). Butlers have told guests that they must order from one restaurant only. Anyway, the discussion went back and forth and someone finally received a response from Oceania. "The correct answer is that we strongly encourage guests to order from one outlet. This greatly improves service and manageability of the process." Again, the policy is in writing but the staff is taught to not enforce it.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you![/quote

After I wrote my last comment, I remembered that on a cruise we took on the Voyager in December of 2010, we were also allowed to order from Prime Seven in the Master Suite. We did this for Christmas Eve and one other time. Really, do you think I am making this up? As I said, Regent is free to change the policies as it chooses, and the best idea is to have your TA check with Regent re: what special perks are included before you leave. I have not seen this policy on the Regent website, just as I have not seen many other perks for various suites on the website, but both times I have been in the Master Suite on two different ships (2010 and 2013) it has been allowed. Rather than tell a person that is paying for the MS that it is not allowed, I suggest it is far better to tell them to check. I will say I deal with a TA that is not a huge online agency, but is one of Regent's top sellers, and due to a south Florida location, has a personal relationship with many Regent officers. Maybe that makes it easier for her to get correct answers.

I feel your pain. :D

The only reason I hesitate to recommend something that isn't a written policy is because it could set someone up for disappointment ............ As you posted, it is a good idea to get it in writing from Regent as this is not a written policy and your butler may not be aware of it.....

To add to T/C above, there are many "unwritten policies" such as getting P7 or Signatures or special meals served in certain suites (As well as many other perks). And you probably will never get them in writing from Regent, but the Butler know what can and can not be done. And if you have a special questions or requests then ask the Maître d, F&B manager or the GM.

And if your travel agent doesn't know all of this, get another agent. Experience counts.

j

491/35