Recent cruisers please tell us about your experience with the auto gratuity

jmele999

March 1st - increase of OSC to 12.95/14.95 pppd and 18% on booze - publicised by NCL

March 15th - first evidence on these boards of the 18% new gratuity for speciality restaurants

March 20th - NCL's reply to this board giving the start date of the 18% speciality gratuity as 20th March!

Could someone provide a link to their reply? Tried searching, cannot find...

The price on the web has increased to $140.42 which is exactly the 18% fee. However, NCL isn't calling it a gratuity:

Q. ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

A. No. ....

That page is not updated yet. This new charge is in fact gratuity.

I'm amazed that this is such a big deal on this board. I have always left a tip when I signed in one of the specialty restaurants, and never thought much about it and frankly I assumed everyone would have tipped.

You are completely missing the point but there is no point of starting the discussion again since it's been covered dozens of times already in other three threads.

I'm amazed that this is such a big deal on this board. I have always left a tip when I signed in one of the specialty restaurants, and never thought much about it and frankly I assumed everyone would have tipped.

I just think that people are mad because the cruiseline is forcing the tips, although many do it voluntarily.

I read in a former thread on this subject, that servers in the Specialties are no longer on the DSC.

You can read the other threads to get the gist of what most feel the "big deal" is. But in a nutshell, NCL always said the DSC covered the need for tipping. Now they have both raised the DSC and at the same time (with no explaination or clarification) added an 18% auto gratuity in specialties. Their website says, "There is no required or recommend tipping". Seems a little contradictory?

In light of NCls explaination of the DSC and the fact that all waiters were in it, I'm not sure why you would have "assumed everyone would have tipped". NCL says staff are permitted to accept cash gratuities for "exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them", and I took them at their word. How often to you have a really exceptional waiter? My service has mostly been good to adequate, a few times less than adequate, and seldom have I felt any need for additional tip. Now, it is not even optional, but a mandatory 18% for what will mostly be just standard or even substandard service.

I just think that people are mad because the cruiseline is forcing the tips, although many do it voluntarily.

I read in a former thread on this subject, that servers in the Specialties are no longer on the DSC.

Has this actually been confirmed? I haven't seen NCL come out with any statement other that the lame one which cited it as a convenience to passengers. The NCL website as far as I know still references the usual DSC explaination and the statement that no tipping is required. THIS is why I am ticked.

Edited by punkincc

So this will affect me. Not a happy camper right now....:mad:

If you are already booked and paid it will have no impact, because your balance is zero and the last time I looked 18% of $0 was still zero.

Could someone provide a link to their reply? Tried searching, cannot find...

It wasn't much...

Here it is in it's entirety.

Norwegian Cruise Line: "As of March 20, 2015, Norwegian Cruise Line will include an 18% gratuity on all specialty and entertainment dining. This gratuity has been added as a convenience for our guests, and is in-line with current tipping practices at land-based restaurants."

I only remember seeing someone having been told that by NCL's customer service - and information originating from there in cases like this is worth nothing to me (remember, we knew about this whole gratuity change days before them), in my opinion it has not been confirmed nor has any NCL documentation updated to back that claim.

Edited by Demonyte

You can read the other threads to get the gist of what most feel the "big deal" is. But in a nutshell, NCL always said the DSC covered the need for tipping. Now they have both raised the DSC and at the same time (with no explaination or clarification) added an 18% auto gratuity in specialties. Their website says, "There is no required or recommend tipping". Seems a little contradictory?

In light of NCls explaination of the DSC and the fact that all waiters were in it, I'm not sure why you would have "assumed everyone would have tipped". NCL says staff are permitted to accept cash gratuities for "exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them", and I took them at their word. How often to you have a really exceptional waiter? My service has mostly been good to adequate, a few times less than adequate, and seldom have I felt any need for additional tip. Now, it is not even optional, but a mandatory 18% for what will mostly be just standard or even substandard service.

Has this actually been confirmed? I haven't seen NCL come out with any statement other that the lame one which cited it as a convenience to passengers. The NCL website as far as I know still references the usual DSC explaination and the statement that no tipping is required. THIS is why I am ticked.

I do not believe that the servers in the specialties are not covered by the DSC. This would mean they work a max of 5 hours a day. Not likely at all.

I do not believe that the servers in the specialties are not covered by the DSC. This would mean they work a max of 5 hours a day. Not likely at all.

Please, let's not turn this thread to be all about that speculation too - there is already plenty of that in the other threads. All kinds of scenarios have been guessed but NCL has not given any reliable information about what the reality is. :)

I've always tipped the specialty restaurants more than the new auto gratuity so I'll be saving money.

I usually tip 20% at lunch or dinner where there's good service. Some restaurants have a service charge that they collect and distribute (usually this is because of an IRS mandate or something like that), and it is not considered discretionary; you must pay it.