Residency and promotion eligibility

cruising cockroach

I was going to book a X cruise until I found that my area of residency which may result in a significantly-lower resident fares for the sailing would deem that fare ineligible for the Spring Into Savings promo (OBC, free gratuities and drinks package).

So I checked the X website for another sailing where I wouldn't get any resident fare (no or at least very minimal difference in fare between no residency declared and residency declared). Savings for an Aqua suite is $62 but that makes my fare ineligible for the promo. Tried the Concierge and it offers the choice a fare with residency savings of $2 (<0.1% of the base fare) and no Spring Savings promo. Not difficult to guess which one would choose.

So the question is, can I pay the published fare on the site or would my area of residence deem me ineligible for the promo?

If X is playing this game., I ain't sailing.

It's optional - you pick what's best for you. You certainly don't have to take a resident rate that keeps you from - say a 123 promo [emoji3] This is sometimes tricky on their website. It may be easier to give them a call.

Edited by Oliver Wilson

It is entirely your choice. You are not required to check the residency box.

So if you would rather not have the residency rate, just don't pick residency at all and go with the rate that comes up without it.

The same is true for a senior or military or other discounted rate for which you may be eligible. It is always up to you to choose whether you would rather get the discounted price without the perks, or pay the higher price and get the perks.

It doesn't matter what value the cruise line puts on a drink package. All that matters is how much it is actually worth to us.

Edited by varoo

So I guess that the prices aren't as inflated to cover the perks as some claim they are.

Depends on how stupid you are. For the sailing I was considering booking/buying until a few hours ago, the price difference to get a choice of the perks is ~20%/C$400, and for all 3 perks, well over USD1,000 for A, C or S class (some 40% savings). All this for not all that long a cruise either.

Edited by cruising cockroach

The perks are cdertainly a cost to Celebrity. If they could sell every cabin for $5000 and offer no perks they would do so. The perks are offered along with various discounts to fill cabins.

As to the original question - some perks are combinable and others are not. Residency and age discounts are usually not combinable with say the spring Promotion or 123GO. Others are. You need to be smart enough to take the best deal for you. Check the boxes and then uncheck and try again. you never know.

So I guess that the prices aren't as inflated to cover the perks as some claim they are.

We also don't know the nature of the cruises being checked or the nuance of itinerary-to-itinerary booking patterns relative to those cruises.

As OP mentions an Aqua Suite, as those are only on Reflection, and become Sky Suites in April, they are likely looking at a very last minute, post-final payment booking. Also, Residency fares tend not to creep in until post final payments (not 100% but in general this is the case).

As mentioned above, your state of residence sometimes gives you the option of a special rate, but you are not required to take that discount. The same is true for senior discounts and military discounts. All of this can be confusing, but a little time spent can make your choice much clearer. Just go into the booking process on the Celebrity website and first check off what rates you might be eligible for and also enter the promo code for the perks of the moment. Write down the price and perks you get, then repeat the process but uncheck the boxes for residence, age etc. This will make it pretty clear which way to go. It's unfortunate that you can't combine those special rates with most perk deals, but it has always been that way, just the rules of the game. No need to look at a different cruise, just try to get the best deal for the trip you want to take. When you think of it, it's similar to other purchases we all make --- cars, hotels, cruises, vacation packages, we are all trying to get the best price we can.

Edited by cynbar

It depends on the particular sailing you're looking at. For instance, I'm looking at a sailing where the resident rate is a huge discount off the 'regular' fare that is combineable with the current Spring into Savings promo. By "huge discount", I'm talking $500+ per person at Concierge Class level.

It depends on the particular sailing you're looking at. For instance, I'm looking at a sailing where the resident rate is a huge discount off the 'regular' fare that is combineable with the current Spring into Savings promo. By "huge discount", I'm talking $500+ per person at Concierge Class level.

What is the sailing that allows you to combine a resident rate and the Spring into Savings promo?

Every single one I checked does NOT combine a resident or senior rate with the Spring into Savings promo.

It is either one or the other. However, in every case I checked, the Spring into Savings rate is still MUCH better that any of the other discounts when you consider the 3 perks at the Concierge Class level.

What is the sailing that allows you to combine a resident rate and the Spring into Savings promo?

There aren't any to my knowledge. In my post I was comparing resident rate to full price rate w/promo. In this instance, the amount of the discount on the resident rate was almost the same as the cost of the Classic beverage package.

There aren't any to my knowledge. In my post I was comparing resident rate to full price rate w/promo. In this instance, the amount of the discount on the resident rate was almost the same as the cost of the Classic beverage package.

The confusion is because you posted this:

I'm looking at a sailing where the resident rate is a huge discount off the 'regular' fare that is combineable with the current Spring into Savings promo. By "huge discount", I'm talking $500+ per person at Concierge Class level.

It certainly made it sound like the resident rate is combinable with the promo since "regular" fares are always combinable with the promotions :D

The confusion is because you posted this:

It certainly made it sound like the resident rate is combinable with the promo since "regular" fares are always combinable with the promotions :D

Apologies for any confusion. I'm on the Left Coast where the sun has barely risen. On top of that I accidentally brewed decaf when I normally brew full strength! :eek:

It is a good option for those that claim that they don't need, want or use the drink pack and complain that they don't like being "forced" into paying for it thru a inflated price.

Personally I like it even though I know that I am indirectly paying for it by choosing the promo price instead of a reduced rate without it. It is a method of sneaking in the drink pack with my wife's approval. ;). If it wasn't included in the price she would never allow me to have it as she would remind me that I (we) don't need it. Sincce I am the one that always does the bookings she just accepts it the way that it is when I tell her it is thru a promo and included in the fare. Not really lying just not telling or avoiding the whole truth. :D

drink up 🍸🍺🍻🍷🍹

👯

Edited by miched

Buying a cruise is the same as any purchase. There are sales, coupons, promotions, employee discounts, friends and family rates, door crashers and all sort of other methods to attract individuals from parting with their hard earned funds. The intrinsic value of something varies amongst us all. I do feel that cruise ship rates are not dissimilar to air fares...fluctuating massively with supply and demand. We have several choices if you don't find value in the rate you see...wait, walk or pay.

Apologies for any confusion. I'm on the Left Coast where the sun has barely risen. On top of that I accidentally brewed decaf when I normally brew full strength! :eek:

Oh no... That would do it....LOL

;)

It is a good option for those that claim that they don't need, want or use the drink pack and complain that they don't like being "forced" into paying for it thru a inflated price.

Personally I like it even though I know that I am indirectly paying for it by choosing the promo price instead of a reduced rate without it. It is a method of sneaking in the drink pack with my wife's approval. ;). If it wasn't included in the price she would never allow me to have it as she would remind me that I (we) don't need it. Sincce I am the one that always does the bookings she just accepts it the way that it is when I tell her it is thru a promo and included in the fare. Not really lying just not telling or avoiding the whole truth. :D

drink up

I have found that even though the prices are higher with the promotion, it is still less expensive than buying individual drinks for a week. While we would never BUY a beverage package since it doesn't make sense monetarily, we each still drink about $100-$150 worth of alcoholic beverages over the course of a week.

That's how we figure what the promo is worth to us.

Considering the OBC from our TA, as well as prepaid gratuities and the beverage package from Celebrity, it was still considerably less to take the promo and forego the resident or senior rate.

You just have to figure out what works best based on your typical cruise habits :)

So the question is, can I pay the published fare on the site or would my area of residence deem me ineligible for the promo?

As others have said, you can usually choose either the residency discount or the current promo. My problem was trying to figure out what the end result was when booking online. I would start out making dummy reservations with the promo, but mid-booking, the fare would recalculate to default to the residency rate and negate the promo. Ended up having to call one of their vacation planners (who was actually very helpful) to go over what the different options were by stateroom category and various promotions.

This thread prompted me to check my booking for a price decrease. I just looked yesterday and there wasn't any change. I am happy to report that I just saved $200 on my booking and I got to keep all three CC perks. I am so glad that I booked direct with Celebrity because I wouldn't dream of calling a TA at midnight. Thank you cruising cockroach for starting this thread.

This thread prompted me to check my booking for a price decrease. I just looked yesterday and there wasn't any change. I am happy to report that I just saved $200 on my booking and I got to keep all three CC perks. I am so glad that I booked direct with Celebrity because I wouldn't dream of calling a TA at midnight. Thank you cruising cockroach for starting this thread.

With a TA, all that would have been needed was you to put a 24 hour hold on the reservation you found, email your TA and they would tend to it in the morning. Either by modifying your original reservation, or by canceling that one and taking over the one you 24 hour held, and then the TA would ad their perks.

I've done this on several occasions.

The reservation was booked in Nov 2014. One call to apply the $200 spring savings. No cancelations no middle man to follow up with. Also for what it's worth, when this Spring sale was first released my sailing wasn't included as a matter of fact they also put an end to the special perks. Now they are offering the reduced price and the perks. I don't know how a travel agent would be able to keep up with the ever changing promos and I would never expect them to be on the look out to save me money.

This had me worried, so I went to check my next sailing which I booked in November 2014. The spring promo is considerably higher than what I paid to book on board. Plus I got extra OBC from the TA which I would loose if I rebooked.

happily staying where I am : )

This is exactly what I mean about all of the red tape with the promos and or open passages. I booked my cruise a few days after it was released so I know the price I'm getting now is lowest that it has been.