Do you think they would confiscate a flask?

Bo59rt

Has anyone had an empty flask confiscated while returning to the ship from a port? I was planning on bringing a flask with me on my next cruise to take onto the islands. I just don't know if they would care when you return to the ship if your carrying an empty flask.

They didn't take mine from Cozumel. And it was in the bag my 16 year old was carring. :eek: I totally forgot about it when we boarded. Went through the scanner and nothing was said. YMMV

Thanks for the reply. I hope they don't take it, its really small, too. just enough to take a few oz off the ship to throw in a soda while DH enjoys his beers on the beaches of the Caribbean!

Empty is the key word. Empty it is just a container. No reason to confiscate. Now if it has something in it, that is another story. I have one ship person ask me to pour out my insulated tumbler before coming back on board. It was ice tea but since the color similar to whiskey I guess they didn't want to take a chance.....

Empty is the key word. Empty it is just a container. No reason to confiscate. Now if it has something in it, that is another story. I have one ship person ask me to pour out my insulated tumbler before coming back on board. It was ice tea but since the color similar to whiskey I guess they didn't want to take a chance.....

Thanks! I hope empty is the key word. i bought a flask special for this because my normal party flask was just too big. knowing me i would pour a ton of whiskey in it and then have to dump it out because I didn't want to finish it. Found a nice zippo 3oz one on amazon. Good for two drinks while off the ship!

Mine happened to be full. But I think I just got lucky. I totally forgot it was in there. I WONT be doing that again. :D and it was a hot pink metal flask.

you got lucky! wouldn't that have been fun for you son to be questioned over a hot pink flask!

Has anyone had an empty flask confiscated while returning to the ship from a port? I was planning on bringing a flask with me on my next cruise to take onto the islands. I just don't know if they would care when you return to the ship if your carrying an empty flask.

Why would you bring an empty flask back on board? Taking alcohol from the ship to a port is like bringing sand to a beach.

The question would be getting the flask (or the booze to fill the flask) on board the ship at embarkation. If the flask is empty and doesn't "ping" the security screening for your carry on or luggage screening if you pack it, you'll probably be able to get it back on board at a port once empty.

But what's filling the flask? Bon Voyage booze out of your cabin? Smuggled booze via a rum runner or shambooze container? Buying drinks on board and clandestinely pouring the drink(s) into the flask? Unless you truly "need" to have some rare long aged top of the shelf bottle because all the "bar stock" tastes like a bad batch of Grandpappy's imitation moonshine:D, there are plenty of places to buy a drink in port at equal or lower cost and certainly fewer grey hairs from sweating about getting a container back on board.

That said, I have brought rare booze back in clear water bottles with zero detection. There used to be a restaurant in Mahahual, 100% Agave, where the owner had a private collection of tequila stored in oak barrels and he would sell you up to a pint (rather cheaply), provided you brought your own container. Alas, the place is no more.:( But it was a really good 100% blue agave anejo that was a great sipping tequila.

Why would you bring an empty flask back on board? Taking alcohol from the ship to a port is like bringing sand to a beach.

The question would be getting the flask (or the booze to fill the flask) on board the ship at embarkation. If the flask is empty and doesn't "ping" the security screening for your carry on or luggage screening if you pack it, you'll probably be able to get it back on board at a port once empty.

But what's filling the flask? Bon Voyage booze out of your cabin? Smuggled booze via a rum runner or shambooze container? Buying drinks on board and clandestinely pouring the drink(s) into the flask? Unless you truly "need" to have some rare long aged top of the shelf bottle because all the "bar stock" tastes like a bad batch of Grandpappy's imitation moonshine:D, there are plenty of places to buy a drink in port at equal or lower cost and certainly fewer grey hairs from sweating about getting a container back on board.

That said, I have brought rare booze back in clear water bottles with zero detection. There used to be a restaurant in Mahahual, 100% Agave, where the owner had a private collection of tequila stored in oak barrels and he would sell you up to a pint (rather cheaply), provided you brought your own container. Alas, the place is no more.:( But it was a really good 100% blue agave anejo that was a great sipping tequila.

We are partaking in the Cheers package. On our last cruise husband drank on island for free by taking unopened beers off the ship that he bought with the drink package the night before. I however do not drink beer so a couple of neat bourbons ordered right before turn in will fill my flask for me. Why spend money on the islands for expensive drinks when I'm already spending money on board for cheers?

Trust me. When she says she doesn't drink beer, she doesn't drink beer. She's picky about what likes so why not take a flask and put something in it that you like. "Bad batch" is a bad word to use for what she drinks.

Pretty sure Fernando is still there, different location. Bought a liter from last Nov, $16

There are no rules that prohibit bring flasks onboard, are there?

I know that knives and such are prohibited, but I don't recall ever reading about flasks.

My mom used to keep a plastic flask in her purse to carry water for taking pills.

It was smaller than a water bottle and fit into her purse.

Who is to say what may have been in an empty flask?

Pretty sure Fernando is still there, different location. Bought a liter from last Nov, $16

I think he's just at his store now. Might have something there. His relation ship with the Italian place ended recently from reports I've seen. He closed/sold his beach place, which was bought by someone trying to do American Barbeque and didn't work in the setting and they've closed as well.

Lots of activity on the malecon businesses these days as cruise ship visits increase. New places, renamed old places, new options for water activities, etc. No longer a sleepy beach side village catering to divers and some longer staying tourists. At least in Mahahual, reminants of Hurricane Dean in 2007 are going away.

There are no rules that prohibit bring flasks onboard, are there?

I know that knives and such are prohibited, but I don't recall ever reading about flasks.

My mom used to keep a plastic flask in her purse to carry water for taking pills.

It was smaller than a water bottle and fit into her purse.

Who is to say what may have been in an empty flask?

It's not the flask. Empty or filled with water or juice, no problems. It's filled with alcoholic beverages that makes it prohibited.

So the poster is going to actually put in 8 oz of soda so she can drink soda while husband is drinking a beer. So the husband will buy a beer and not get the wife a soda?

Of course, the flask will get warm very quickly only being 8 oz which is slightly more than a 1/2 can of soda.

I'm sorry, but it's not soda. It's hard to carry out a mouthwash bottle filled with rum, so you transfer it from the mouthwash bottle that was smuggled on, to the flask because really, you would get strange looks if you were chugging from a mouthwash bottle.

so the poster is going to actually put in 8 oz of soda so she can drink soda while husband is drinking a beer. So the husband will buy a beer and not get the wife a soda?

Of course, the flask will get warm very quickly only being 8 oz which is slightly more than a 1/2 can of soda.

I'm sorry, but it's not soda. It's hard to carry out a mouthwash bottle filled with rum, so you transfer it from the mouthwash bottle that was smuggled on, to the flask because really, you would get strange looks if you were chugging from a mouthwash bottle.

i thought the op said 2 shots of bourbon in the flask.

So the poster is going to actually put in 8 oz of soda so she can drink soda while husband is drinking a beer. So the husband will buy a beer and not get the wife a soda?

Im pretty sure i did say a smaller then normal flask of bourbon, which i would be purchasing with my cheers package to fill my flask. The drink package would also would be buying our beer that we take off the ship.

We have taken unopened beers off the ship before that were purchased with the cheers package. We have a cooler to take those unopened beers which would also keep a flask cold of whatever i chose to put in it but honestly. NO ONE who appreciates a bourbon minds if it is warm; most balk at cold whiskey.

So if i was to take a 6 pack of soda on the ship costing maybe 4 bucks. That would be my grand total to drink on the island over my cost of the cheers package.

Edited by Bo59rt

Soda? where did she say soda? And yes the husband (this guy) will actually be getting unopened beer from the bar using the cheers package.

Thanks for the reply. I hope they don't take it, its really small, too. just enough to take a few oz off the ship to throw in a soda while DH enjoys his beers on the beaches of the Caribbean!

OP, this is exactly what you need.... holds up to 6 oz, just enough for what you will need.

http://www.amazon.com/Bev-Brush-Paddle-Brush-Secret-Flask/dp/B00ESYPSHY

Good luck and have a great time !