WOW sale clarification

Joby

We are new to RCL although not new to cruising and will be taking our first RCL cruise on the Serenade February 5, 2016. We just booked last week and this weekend I saw that there was a WOW sale and OBC that people were posting about on this forum.

I called our TA and she said we could get the OBC IF we rebooked our cruise. BUT, the caveat was-- the cost of our cruise would GO UP by about $400 PER PERSON to get the OBC for the exact same cabin we have now!

Obviously not a good thing for us to do. When I looked up the RCL Serenade price on the RCL website compared to what we paid for our cruise I was really surprised at the difference in cost.

Just thought I would post to help explain how the OBC situation works for this particular scenario as we haven't cruised RCL line before and really had no experience with their "sales". Maybe this will help others that don't know how the sale works.

Sounds like we got the better end of the deal this time :)

This has come to be the "way of the WOW" in recent months. Each sale seems to edge higher in price. I will say that the prices for many of the sailings I have checked for later 2016 have more realistic prices. Just my experience.

We are new to RCL although not new to cruising and will be taking our first RCL cruise on the Serenade February 5, 2016. We just booked last week and this weekend I saw that there was a WOW sale and OBC that people were posting about on this forum.

I called our TA and she said we could get the OBC IF we rebooked our cruise. BUT, the caveat was-- the cost of our cruise would GO UP by about $400 PER PERSON to get the OBC for the exact same cabin we have now!

Obviously not a good thing for us to do. When I looked up the RCL Serenade price on the RCL website compared to what we paid for our cruise I was really surprised at the difference in cost.

Just thought I would post to help explain how the OBC situation works for this particular scenario as we haven't cruised RCL line before and really had no experience with their "sales". Maybe this will help others that don't know how the sale works.

Sounds like we got the better end of the deal this time :)

Someone has posted that he/she got the OBC without any re-pricing by calling the C&A desk. However, since you booked via your TA, they probably will not speak to you and refer to your TA

I had a relative situation in that when I booked the March 26. '16 Oasis cruise, I was D, but after the last cruise on Quantum I made D+. When I originally booked, I mentioned to the Vacation Planner that I was going to be D+ and how will this be handled vis-a vis the balcony discount. Was told to call back and it would be handled. Called the RCL's vacation planner and after explaining, he told me after speaking with his supervisor that to get the add'l $25 in balcony discount my cruise would have to be re-priced which would have been some $200 more per. I hung up and called the C&A desk and explained the situation again, and she could not have been nicer and friendlier and added the $25 to the deposit without re-pricing.

After I understood how the WOW sale worked I think my thought was--thank goodness I have a good agent who gave me a price of $400 less per person for the 10 night cruise and I didn't have to wait or watch for any kind of sale.

Thanks for the comments :)