Josefina's Cooking Class OR Bar Hop Bus Tour??

JohnandKatr

Josefina's Cooking Class OR Bar Hop Bus Tour? We've only ever gone to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel because that's what the others in our party end up choosing...this time, it's just hubby and myself and we want to do something different than a beach all inclusive....WHICH TO CHOOSE? We both love the water, love trying different drinks, Love Love Love Margaritas, and love cooking......help!! We're on Carnival Triumph and in port Saturday, May 2 9am - 4pm. Thanks for any advice!!

Kate

Personally, I'd chose Josefina. Only because I've been to the East Side many times. She's a great teacher and I think still takes you around to the different markets for items (that may have changed).

But, if you've never seen the East side the BarHop is a great way to do so.

Josefina's Cooking Class OR Bar Hop Bus Tour? We've only ever gone to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel because that's what the others in our party end up choosing...this time, it's just hubby and myself and we want to do something different than a beach all inclusive....WHICH TO CHOOSE? We both love the water, love trying different drinks, Love Love Love Margaritas, and love cooking......help!! We're on Carnival Triumph and in port Saturday, May 2 9am - 4pm. Thanks for any advice!!

Kate

Myself, Hubbie and 19 yr old son did this activity. We have been to Cozumel about 7 times and wanted to try something new. We all loved it even our son! Our son can make a well done grilled cheese but loved this class. Chef Luis was very friendly and catered to my food allergy and my sons allergy to anything that looked like a veggie. The package included round trip transportation to Playa Mia, unlimited drinks(Miami Vice my fav) and use of the park. We made a three course meal and it was 10 times better than the food in the buffet. If you have younger kids there is no use of knives, everything is already cut up. We learned how to make tortillas too! After class we ate our meal over looking the beautiful ocean with Chef Luis. We still had a few hours to enjoy the rest of the resort. The bathrooms & changing rooms are very clean. We look forward to taking this class again.

Thanks...We've never done anything but a cab from port to nachi cocum. on BarHop, can we swim? Is it nice place for swimming/playing in the sea?

I think you can swim at Punta Morena. They do have a pool. Typically the East side is called the "Wild" side because it faces the ocean directly and is hit with the currents. Chen Rio, where the BH doesn't stop, is one of the few places around with lifeguards and al lot the time there are warning flags flying. Bob Marley's Rasta Bar (Paradise Café) has a great beach but I think the currents are a bit rough for swimming.

Kate

Thanks...We've never done anything but a cab from port to nachi cocum. on BarHop, can we swim? Is it nice place for swimming/playing in the sea?

We have done both the cooking class and Bar hop and would highly recommend either!

I don't know if you have seen this but this, (it is not my video) but it is a fairly accurate description of the cooking class if you are interested in a preview to help you decide.

We thoroughly enjoyed the class and thought it was well run, a mixture of hands-on and demonstrations - plenty of food. Drinks were included as part of the demonstration. We were staying on the island at the time but there was another couple at the class, who were on a cruise ship. It includes a walk (not far) to the market but the rest of the class is indoors - some people may enjoy the relief from the heat, but I can see that some may not want to "miss-out" on beach time if you are only on a short cruise.

The Bar Hop is also really well run. They are very efficient at keeping you on time. You visit 4 bars on the east side, each with a specialty drink which is included. Each location offers different characteristics. You can read about them on the website. Extra food and drinks cost extra. It is not recommended to swim on the east side but there is a sheltered area at Punta Morena where some people do "cool-off" in the ocean and they have a small pool also for cooling off. Each stop is limited to about 40-45 minutes so not long to do much other than sample the location, relax, walk and explore, socialize.

If you have never experienced the east side, away from the crowds, I think I would probably recommend this as my first choice. I have travelled round the island several times, both with the Bar Hop group and privately. I think the Bar Hop is a good introduction. You are obviously not in control of where you stop, and for how long, but it is a fun tour in the company of others. At each location you are free to mix, or do your own thing, as you like. You have to get into town for the meeting place, depending on which pier you dock at, but on return you are dropped off at the individual piers.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.