Martinque info

toes_in_sand

To PM

we will be in FDF on a Thursday in January from 8 am to 5 pm

we signed up for a ship's excursion on a catamaran to FDF bay, with stop at the beach, see Ramier Islet, a bat cave (ick) and sea turtles....go by Salomon Cape...to beach at Grande Anse (no bthrms)

tour ends at 12:30... so we will not have time to explore by ferry or beyond the port area...Is there any place to have a very lite lunch near the ship or any shops nearby? (we have Euros)?

how far is the library from the ship pier and can one enter?

Your photos were excellent!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

There are plenty of places to grab a bite to eat around town. The main street is about 6 blocks from the pier. The Library is only 3-4 blocks from the pier. 1 block right and about 3 blocks up. (1 block right and 3 blocks to the left after that). If you look on google maps, it shows all the points of interest and you can plan your route...there are a couple web sites that list walking tours also.

• 4 weeks later...
There are plenty of places to grab a bite to eat around town. The main street is about 6 blocks from the pier. The Library is only 3-4 blocks from the pier. 1 block right and about 3 blocks up. (1 block right and 3 blocks to the left after that). If you look on google maps, it shows all the points of interest and you can plan your route...there are a couple web sites that list walking tours also.

Thank you PM...for this very helpful and specific info.

We are looking forward to our visit.

Portmaster, thank you again for your input. You've given us many very good ideas to spending a day in Martinique, but I would like to go back to a question asked earlier for which I did not see an answer.

What changes in your thoughts for things to do/see would you make for a Sunday visit?

Thank you for your time again.

• 2 weeks later...
Portmaster, thank you again for your input. You've given us many very good ideas to spending a day in Martinique, but I would like to go back to a question asked earlier for which I did not see an answer.

What changes in your thoughts for things to do/see would you make for a Sunday visit?

Thank you for your time again.

I must apologize for this, but, I cannot answer this as We have not spent any time IN F-De-F during a Sunday to answer. We mostly kept to other places where we beached it or just went to a restaurant. I would assume safely though, that many places would be open to get the benefit of sales etc from a ship being in port on any given day. Some places may be closed, but there will be some open for the passengers arrival.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Portmaster,

Unlike many on CC, luckily we speak French fluently and will have Euro with us. We do love the beach, do love rum and want to see the Balata Gardens. We will be in FDF on a Tuesday in January. How would you put your day together? By 2PM my DW is usually all sunned out.

Hi Portmaster,

Unlike many on CC, luckily we speak French fluently and will have Euro with us. We do love the beach, do love rum and want to see the Balata Gardens. We will be in FDF on a Tuesday in January. How would you put your day together? By 2PM my DW is usually all sunned out.

Taxi's? Renting a Car? Buses? And what times are you in port?

Edited by PortMaster

• 4 weeks later...

Portmaster: I hope you're still out there.

We were thinking of taking the ferry to Pointe du Bout and walking around, eating and going to Anse Mitan for a bit. However, I would really like to take in a Rum distillery if time permits. What is the best way to do that. We won't have a car, we'll be walking and it looks like it might have to be near Fort-de-France? We'll be in port from 9am-6pm. Is this do-able?

What is the best way to do that.

If you want to be extremely rushed and not enjoy what you do or see..attempt it.

In my opinion, the best way to do that is.... more than 1 visit.

I like to see as much as possible every time I visit somewhere. But long ago I came to a realization. Generally, the more you cram in, the less you enjoy. So, I make a point to return to places I want to explore more in depth. I love Martinique, Grenada, Puerto Rico, Dominica and many many other places (just talking about the Caribbean here). I got to love them through paced exploration. Giving us time to appreciate what we saw and what we were doing.

Unfortunately, the Islands, or anywhere for that matter, do not come with 'Fast Passes' to get you to the head of the line and through all of the sights quickly. You can take a tour that touches on a little of everything, but that normally only serves the purpose of helping you decide what to do for longer, next time. We have taken tours and have many pictures of us in front of points of interest, but with little time to learn more about where we were other than a few lines from a tour guide or a sign before being hurried back onto a bus or a taxi. The most memorable times were when we ran into something 'unexpected'.

Take the ferry, enjoy the town, the beach, the people and the food. I've been to probably 7 Rum/Rhum factories...they all look a little different, but they are ALL the SAME. If you particularly like the rum from one island...maybe visit that factory when on that island. But, for the most part, just buying the rum that you like will suffice. Minus the picture.

The above is only my opinion, but what I stated about cramming too much in, in too little time is valid.

Have you ever been in a Tanning bed? They have stand-up ones also. The stand-up ones are supposed to get you a more even tan in many of the places the lie down beds do not BUT... you miss the 'relaxation' that comes with the experience while laying down...relaxing. Just as you would laying on a beach.

My point is, relax, enjoy, take your time and pay attention. If you like what you see enough, you will make sure you return. Then you can check off the important things to do... without feeling rushed.

BTW, my realization of all the above was through many years of traveling all over the world, many times over. Both in the Navy and on my own. My point in telling you this, is that I've had the opportunity to go many places, and in all of those travels, the idea is always the same. Explore... based on your time in a particular place, see as much as possible BUT give yourself time to ENJOY what you see. Most people that say they do NOT like a particular place..never gave it or themselves the opportunity to really see where they were. Sometimes that means the good and the bad... If someone hates Nassau...they probably hardly leave the port area. If someone Hates Dominica because its not a "beach" island... they are missing the beauty in the Rain Forests and all the wonders away from the shorelines. And, those that never leave Margaritaville in Grand Turk miss a complete opportunity of seeing a beautiful beach, island and people.

My Nickles worth... Sorry for being long winded.... I'm off on a cruise in 3 days and it always makes me reminisce..

Thanks so much. I really do appreciate the advice, and area whole heartedly. I will not worry about the rum distillery, as it wasn't top on my list anyway. I will just do the town and beach and be satisfied. One more question. Do you have any recommendations for a good place to have lunch? Would like French or Caribbean food, or are there many good places and we should just pick something walking around? Thanks again!

Thanks so much. I really do appreciate the advice, and area whole heartedly. I will not worry about the rum distillery, as it wasn't top on my list anyway. I will just do the town and beach and be satisfied. One more question. Do you have any recommendations for a good place to have lunch? Would like French or Caribbean food, or are there many good places and we should just pick something walking around? Thanks again!

There are many places to eat near Pointe Du Bout, more than you could go to in a week staying there. Well, unless you ate dinner twice daily.

Some are good, some are great, some have the ambiance that makes you KNOW you are somewhere different. My wife and I enjoy one particular place very much though... I may have mentioned it before in one of the other posts. However...as I said earlier, there are MANY good places to eat. The food WITH the staff and the restaurant itself makes it one of our favorites. Oh, and they have WiFi...

My wife loves their Caesar Salad... So I ended up trying it once.. and it was excellent!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

• 1 month later...

All right, so I don't know how to private message, so here goes. I will just ask everyone! We will be in FDF the week of Thanksgiving on the Celebrity Summit. We will be taking the ferry to the beaches. I am not a lay on the towel in the sand person, I prefer a chair and a bar with drinks. Should we go to the Pointe du Bout beach or the Anse Mitan? Which is better for me? Any particular area of the beach? I don't mind paying for my conveniences. Please advise!

All right, so I don't know how to private message, so here goes. I will just ask everyone! We will be in FDF the week of Thanksgiving on the Celebrity Summit. We will be taking the ferry to the beaches. I am not a lay on the towel in the sand person, I prefer a chair and a bar with drinks. Should we go to the Pointe du Bout beach or the Anse Mitan? Which is better for me? Any particular area of the beach? I don't mind paying for my conveniences. Please advise!

Okay... Ans Mitan. Unless things have recently changed, there are a couple restaurants on the beach but they do not widely offer loungers. Most put towels on the sand.

So, with that in mind and for what you said above about preferring a chair, I would suggest the small beach in Point Du Bout.

Its just up the walkway and down an alley type street from the ferry drop off point in the harbor.

ry%3D400

If you get there early, you can get a good chair. Its a small sheltered beach with the bar/food out in the water. They have chairs to rent here along with restrooms etc.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Bad picture of Menu.. sorry

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hello PortMaster and thanks for all the information here.

We'll be in Martinique in February and we just want to take the ferry to a beach, rent a chair (if available) and have a light lunch. I plan to bring about $100 in Euros...think that'll cover it?

Someone mentioned here a beach restaurant that had Panini's...I think that and a beer sounds just about right :)

I can get the Euro's from my local bank for a $7 fee...I thought that was reasonable but I just don't want to get too much or worse...too little!

Thanks again!

Hope you're enjoying your cruise!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello postmaster. I'll be in Martinque on a Sunday, I would like to know how much is the ferry ride and chairs at the beach in point du bout in American $ and what is the euro amount for a dollar. thanking you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello PortMaster and thanks for all the information here.

We'll be in Martinique in February and we just want to take the ferry to a beach, rent a chair (if available) and have a light lunch. I plan to bring about $100 in Euros...think that'll cover it?

Someone mentioned here a beach restaurant that had Panini's...I think that and a beer sounds just about right :)

I can get the Euro's from my local bank for a $7 fee...I thought that was reasonable but I just don't want to get too much or worse...too little!

Thanks again!

Hope you're enjoying your cruise!

I'm Sorry, I thought I answered this. Maybe I did not hit submit. I apologize. What did you do when there last month? Let us know!

Hello postmaster. I'll be in Martinque on a Sunday, I would like to know how much is the ferry ride and chairs at the beach in point du bout in American $ and what is the euro amount for a dollar. thanking you in advance.

Unless the prices have changed, The ferry is about $10 round trip pp. It says Euros, but they take 10 U.S. dollars. As for chairs. It has never been the same. Sometimes free, sometimes a charge. I would expect about 20.00 for 2 people depending on which beach you end up.

ry%3D400