Cruises from Sydney

I am thinking about a cruise from Sydney for my hubby and myself and our teenage daughter and some friends. I would like to know from other cruisers, what ships (that leave from Sydney) have you been on an what you thought about them? I have been on the P&O Ship Pacific Pearl twice, and while they are cheap, I found that there is not enough to do on them. I am happy to pay a little more for a ship that has a lot more activities, a good mix of music (especially 70's/80's music to dance to!:D). And plenty of activities for older teens/young adults! Also, since I have done the south sea islands twice, I am thinking of other destinations, maybe New Zealand or SE Asia? But want to go for our 20th wedding anniversary at the end of October, 2017. I know this is two years away yet, but I am just doing my homework to see what ship fits our needs best! Weather is an important to me, as I don't like humid destinations. Any advice is appreciated!

I am thinking of other destinations, maybe New Zealand or SE Asia? But want to go for our 20th wedding anniversary at the end of October, 2017. I know this is two years away yet, but I am just doing my homework to see what ship fits our needs best! Weather is an important to me, as I don't like humid destinations. Any advice is appreciated!

If you don't like humid destinations then you will NOT like Asia, NZ might be more your cup of tea :)

I would agree. If you don't like humidity NZ is about your only option. We have done Asia to Sydney on Diamond Princess - great ship, Sydney to NZ on Sapphire Princess - also a great ship and Pacific Islands on Sea Princess roundtrip from Brisbane - all were great cruises. Oh yes we also did Pacific Islands on Rhapsody of the Seas roundtrip from Sydney. The only thing I would add is that the ship board experience is a great holiday in itself so if you were to mainly stay on board humidity would not be a problem at all. Just do it - you won't be sorry at all.:)

You have lots of options from Sydney. I would look at Carnival cruises with Carnival Legend and Carnival Spirit that have the monster water slide and would appear to have a younger demographic (not sailed on yet but friends have).

I would also go for any of the Royal Caribbean ships. 2017 schedules should be out soon and i would recommend booking early as prices rarely go down. There ships definitely have music ranging from 50s rocknroll to 70/80s and white night theme nights.

I would avoid going on the Holland America ships and Cunard as these cater for a more refined vacation.

Lots of info on the various threads to guide you.

Hugh

Although 2017 seems a long way off, it's never to early to start researching. I tend to agree with other posters who suggest NZ if you want to sail out of Sydney. There are some good shore excursions there that the younger ones might enjoy as well (depending on their interests). Have a look at the RCI site and see what you think. You can look at shore excursions without booking so that can give you an idea of what is usually on offer.

There could be new ships here by the time you are ready to cruise but you might like to look at Voyager of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas as being large enough to provide a good range of activities for a variety of age groups. Celebrity is more adult oriented IMO and the Carnival ones might be a bit too close to P&O in terms of quality. Agree that HAL and Cunard are for a much older demographic.

Enjoy the planning.

Having done two cruises with teens, I would recommend Royal Carribbean, in particular Voyager of the Seas or Explorer of Seas. Lots of onboard extras such as flowrider, ice skating rink, ice show, mini golf, 3D movies. Johnny Rockets 50s diner (with dancing waiters), cupcake decorating lessons, great variety of evening entertainment. 70s dance night in the promenade.

Watch Channel 7 this Tuesday night at 8pm. They will be doing a one hour special on this ship. Explorer of the Seas arrives in Sydney this summer and is the sister ship to Voyager so it will offer the same amenities.

New Zealand is a great destination.

Edited by aussielozzie18