Quick review - Martinique March 2015

CRUIS4ME

It was rather hard getting solid information prior to our cruise. Now that we are back, thought I'd stop by and add a few details of our day in hopes it helps someone planning to go to Martinique. We were there on The Quantum in March 2015, went to Anse Mitan beach, had a very nice day.

English vs French. Yes - Martinique is just a French as any other city in France. French is spoken. However - Martinique Visitor Center does a fabulous job of posting English speaking Ambassadors all throughout the pier and in the city to help with the directions/questions/answers.

Dollars vs Euros. When in France - pay by Euros. This should not cause as much confusion as it seemingly did on our roll call when discussing what currency to use. Euros is accepted everywhere! On the other hand, dollars were accepted on the ferry for the ticket and the lady renting the beach chairs also took dollars. The little "mom and pop" cafes - took Euros. So if you plan to use dollars - have ones, fives, and tens to pay for your purchase rather than $50 or $100 bills.

What beach to go to? and how to get there? The ferry dock is a two minute walk from the ship pier to the ferry pier. Easily found. There is a large sign that tells when the ferry comes and goes (time tables). Sit down, wait for the ferry, get on....someone will come around and collect for the fare. The fare was 7Euros or $10 round trip ticket per person. Easy to do.

We went to Anse Migan as it was the first ferry to get to the pier. When we arrived at the beach, the ferry pulled right up next to a hotel. The back of the hotel has chairs and umbrellas. They are for the hotel guests only. However, there we could rent a chair (without the umbrella) for the day...and sat near the hotel which allowed enough shade for us. The lady collecting for the chair was rather ...um.....limited in her ability to wait on too many at one time. This caused the tourists to want to speak loudly with their English ...and she was rattled. My best advice, is one person speaking at one time...and patience as you work through any language barrier....she knew folks wanted to rent a chair and was able to help with that. Don't try to help yourself to chairs and move them around. This is her job....don't sit in a chair with an umbrella...this causes chaos in her world. Really....we had a good beach day and enjoyed the beach, the water, and our chairs were fine. We spoke French and it really was amazing watching the tourists try to overwhelm this lady and were very impatient. Talking louder doesn't help.

As far as the beach....it was small...but clean...and the water was very very nice. There were a couple places within the beach area to grab a drink or a bite. A couple in our group, walked over to the Pont du Bout beach area (about 5-10 mins) away. That beach is just as nice....my DH liked that area "better"....a friend in our group...liked our chosen area better. So it was a 50/50 decision...but similar sized beaches and amenities.

Shops in town? The first time we went to Martinique - it was a holiday. Things close up like a drum on a holiday. This time we were there on a Saturday. We went to the beach and then left the beach to head into town before going back to the ship. Beware....as they do in France - things close down at 2 o'clock on Saturday afternoons. So when we got back to town - everything was closed. We found a crepe place on the way back to the ship....mmmmmm good! But that was it.

There are vendors and tents at the pier for last minute souvenirs and that was a good touch also for the cruisers to pick up a sourvenir.

All in all....we liked our beach day in Martinique and will want to go back again!

Hope you have a good experience too.

So no umbrellas will be available to cruisers? My initial plan was what you did. Not sure if one of our super fair skinned traveling companions would survive without an umbrella. Even with 50 spf lotion this person manages to burn.

I might have to consider carrying one. We have a couple that break down to about 2 feet in a carrying case. I could see using it at at least 2-3 stops.

Thanks,

Sheal

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...