Loyal HAL cruiser Looking at Dawn

sail7seas

Sail, I know you're likely still thinking, but wanted to add that now is a great time to book a suite. I believe the current promo ends April 6, but with a suite, you get the UBP (most beverages under 11$ included, with bottled water and specialty coffees excluded, but you'll have a Lavazza coffee maker in your suite), UDP (so all your specialty restaurants upcharges are included), free gratuities (with exception of your butler and concierge), and a 200$ OBC. For folks like us who don't buy photos, book the spa, or buy excursions onboard, this package pretty much makes us "all in."

I had done some research on the SEs, and I have the square footage of each room somewhere, if that matters to you. I'd type in the room numbers that are left in the advanced search for reviews on each room. I know there are some rooms where you can't have your lights on at night, as that interferes with bridge operations.

I was widowed 16 years ago and for my first trip as a widow I also changed cruise lines . It did help but the first trip was hard but it opened the way to many enjoyable trips by myself . Each baby step you take is moving forward so go & enjoy Bermuda .

Sail, I concur with those who are recommending the forward SE suites. I have cruised in 9500 on the Dawn's sister, the Star. The balconies are HUGE on the 9th deck. There are similar suites on Deck 10, with the balcony being smaller and inside the cabin larger. What I found about wind on those balconies while underway is that you will feel it while sranding right at the bow but very little while seated in your lounger.

I recently cruised on the Eurodam and have cruises booked on the Westerdam and Maasdam. However, I love NCL and am excited to be going "home" to the line after that. I think you will enjoy the friendly crew and officers, the numerous alternative restaurants and wonderful entertainment.

I can't thank all of you enough. This is a tough decision for me to stray from HAL after over 80 cruises with them. I am not ready to see crew there who have not heard my DH has passed and to have to speak of it throughout my first solo cruise. I think this could be just the transition that will help me get back to sailing. We were a couple since we were 20 years old....... our whole adult lives. I'm trying to learn how to live without him.

I know..... TMI :D but you've all been so welcoming and helpful I so appreciate it.

A few questions:

Does anyone know the specific SE cabins that must turn off their lights because of bridge operations? Is it balcony lights or also cabin lights if the curtains are open?

My friends are in the really large corner Suite with the two verandahs.

I wouldn't sail without a verandah especially given we will be docked in Bermuda but I don't need a really big one. It's fine if it is large but alone it doesn't matter if it is much bigger than holds a chair and a lounger. :) My friends and I like will share a drink or snack or whatever but we'd be likely to use their cabin.

Last time I had a butler was on Celebrity years ago. Two cruises they were so annoying to us we tipped them each time to please stay away and only come if we called. :D We never called. I have heard great things about NCL's. It'll be fun to have someone to get me a snack when I want one. My DH used to make the 'snack runs' for us. sigh...

Sailor Sally........ thank you for the encouragement and for commenting making my first cruise on a different line is not a bad idea. If it goes well, I likely will return to HAL.

NY Teacher..... Thank you for your nice message.

Thank you all for your help. It is very appreciated.

Judy, I'm so happy to hear that you're considering sailing on NCL with friends and I think your reasoning makes perfect sense. I'm surprised Lisa hasn't answered some of your questions. She seems to like that line a lot. I hope this works out for you, and Bermuda is such a lovely way to get your feet wet.:)

Sail,

Sorry for your loss. And I thank you for your help while I was researching for my cruise with HAL back in 2011. I also booked my first NCL cruise in December. We'll see if we like the "Free style" cruise with NCL.

Sail, all the bow balcony lights need to stay off, and the room stewards will close the curtains. When we wanted to sit on the balcony at night, we would turn off the cabin lights before opening the curtains and the balcony door. The balconies are so large that it must seem like a mirror in the bridge when lights are on.

I'm going to search for some photos of the cabin for you. The balcony door on Deck 9 is a big steel door, and there is a large floor-to-ceiling window next to it.

Here are a couple of YouTube videos I just found that are much better than my photos. Both are videos of cabins on the NCL Star, but the layout should be identical to those on the Dawn. The carpet and furniture will probably be different, but this will give you an idea of what the cabins look like.

and

Judy, I'm so happy to hear that you're considering sailing on NCL with friends and I think your reasoning makes perfect sense. I'm surprised Lisa hasn't answered some of your questions. She seems to like that line a lot. I hope this works out for you, and Bermuda is such a lovely way to get your feet wet.:)

Hi Carol, Welcome Home. :)

Lisa has been wonderful. She wrote me two long e-mails and helped me a lot. There is so much I need to learn before deciding whether to book this and if so, which cabin that the posters here have been so helpful. Lisa has been most generous with her time and knowledge. :)

Here are a couple of YouTube videos I just found that are much better than my photos. Both are videos of cabins on the NCL Star, but the layout should be identical to those on the Dawn. The carpet and furniture will probably be different, but this will give you an idea of what the cabins look like.

and

Thank you so much. Great video. :)

The group here are so helpful you are making my decision easier. You seem like a really nice and welcoming group. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Dear Sail,

We had the pleasure to sail with you a number of years ago on HAL. I was sorry to read about Robert's passing, and am very glad to hear that you want to sail again.

While I admit that HAL is still first in our hearts, we have enjoyed every one of our cruises on NCL. The staff is wonderful and the perks for suite passengers are quite nice -- breakfast and lunch in Cagney's, and the concierge service is outstanding. We've stayed in the aft penthouse, and the 2-bedroom family suite, and think that every staff member we've encountered has gone out of their way to make sure we had a wonderful experience. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Welcome back, and I hope we'll meet again -- whether it be on NCL or HAL.

Edi

Dear Sail,

We had the pleasure to sail with you a number of years ago on HAL. I was sorry to read about Robert's passing, and am very glad to hear that you want to sail again.

While I admit that HAL is still first in our hearts, we have enjoyed every one of our cruises on NCL. The staff is wonderful and the perks for suite passengers are quite nice -- breakfast and lunch in Cagney's, and the concierge service is outstanding. We've stayed in the aft penthouse, and the 2-bedroom family suite, and think that every staff member we've encountered has gone out of their way to make sure we had a wonderful experience. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Welcome back, and I hope we'll meet again -- whether it be on NCL or HAL.

Edi

Hi Edi,

I wish I could remember just which ship/cruise on which we met. Can you share a clue? :) I'm intrigued to try to remember.

Thank you for your kind words about Robert.

I hope we meet again on one ship or another.

I believe it was either the Volendam or the Westerdam. (Faulty memory on my part!) I organized the CC meet & greet, and you were kind enough to attend. I know you don't do that very often, so that may narrow it down a bit.

Edi

I've sailed HAL over 80 cruises and only them exclusively since about 1994. Prior to that my late DH and I sailed Princess about 5 times, Celebrity the same, RCI once and Carnival once, sort of but that's a long story.

My DH passed away this last year and I've not been able to get myself onto an HAL ship but I want to sail again. Some very dear friends, with whom we sailed HAL in the past, invited me to join them for a Bermuda cruise on Dawn.

I am seriously thinking about it as the date is good and maybe it would get me back to traveling if I go first to a cruise line where I don't know anything or anyone. On HAL, it's impossible for me to sail and not know some crew.

So...... please help with a little info?

They are sailing in a big suite #9506. I have always sailed in HAL's so-called Neptune Suites and would like the equivalent on Dawn. Can you tell me which is the minimum category I can book and still be able to join my friends for whatever dining or pools or lounges they would be visiting. I don't need a huge cabin for myself but do need to know I have access to all facilities they can use.

If I make this booking, I know I'll have lots more questions. :o It feels so funny to be such an experienced cruiser and be so uninformed about this cruise line.

Thank you for any help.

Welcome to NCL Sail!!! I was a HAL loyalist until several years ago. I've switched and love it. I still pop up in the HAL boards from time to time.

I can't thank all of you enough. This is a tough decision for me to stray from HAL after over 80 cruises with them. I am not ready to see crew there who have not heard my DH has passed and to have to speak of it throughout my first solo cruise. I think this could be just the transition that will help me get back to sailing. We were a couple since we were 20 years old....... our whole adult lives. I'm trying to learn how to live without him.

I know..... TMI :D but you've all been so welcoming and helpful I so appreciate it.

A few questions:

Does anyone know the specific SE cabins that must turn off their lights because of bridge operations? Is it balcony lights or also cabin lights if the curtains are open?

My friends are in the really large corner Suite with the two verandahs.

I wouldn't sail without a verandah especially given we will be docked in Bermuda but I don't need a really big one. It's fine if it is large but alone it doesn't matter if it is much bigger than holds a chair and a lounger. :) My friends and I like will share a drink or snack or whatever but we'd be likely to use their cabin.

Last time I had a butler was on Celebrity years ago. Two cruises they were so annoying to us we tipped them each time to please stay away and only come if we called. :D We never called. I have heard great things about NCL's. It'll be fun to have someone to get me a snack when I want one. My DH used to make the 'snack runs' for us. sigh...

Sailor Sally........ thank you for the encouragement and for commenting making my first cruise on a different line is not a bad idea. If it goes well, I likely will return to HAL.

NY Teacher..... Thank you for your nice message.

Thank you all for your help. It is very appreciated.

Hi S7S,

We've crossed paths on the Cruise/Travel Insurance subforum.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

You are an inspiration, though, in "carrying on".

Now, about the Dawn cabins/suites.

We were in a DOS on the Dawn, Deck 12, last fall to Bermuda.

Those are above the Bridge, and have no balcony, but floor-to-ceiling windows all the way around (including facing back, just like the Bridge) that were breathtaking.

We are torn for our next Bermuda run, whether to get the DOS again, or the OS, for the two balconies.

(We bring some friends along with us in a separate cabin, and the extra space in our suite is great, especially with room for the little ones to race around!)

Those Deck 12 suites are very new, and very nice.

I'd suggest you try the so-called family suite on Deck 12, but get the one with the balcony (some do, some don't).

The bathroom will be very large and luxurious.

And you'll be near the front of the ship; the staircase (or elevator) right there is very convenient to use to visit your friends.

Because they are on the side (not forward facing), there is no need to worry about lighting at night.

I'd suggest choosing the opposite side from your friends.

Usually, the Dawn docks with port to the dock area, but sometimes the reverse (they need to exercise the lifeboats on both sides, etc., and there might be other reasons).

That way, no matter how she docks, you'll have views in both directions (over the dock area, and also out across the harbor area).

You'll probably want to use your friends' forward most of the time in Bermuda, as that is nice and large :)

And you can use the Butler as much or as little as you please.

Mostly, figure out what types of treats you'd like, and when, and make that known.

We bring along a short letter, introducing ourselves, and stating what we like and don't like (so food/treats aren't wasted), plus one food allergy.

The Butlers have many passengers to meet that first day, after all...

GeezerCouple