Best time to book a cruise with Cunard

jules57

To date I have only booked cruises with Celebrity but am thinking of booking the Venice and Adriatic cruise for May 2016 on Queen Elizabeth.

When booking with Celebrity I usually book very early and get a good price. We like the certainty of booking a specific stateroom. The price usually rises after a month and then offers appear with drinks packages etc but at a much higher fare. Is it the same for Cunard or do the prices stay around the same?

To date I have only booked cruises with Celebrity but am thinking of booking the Venice and Adriatic cruise for May 2016 on Queen Elizabeth.

When booking with Celebrity I usually book very early and get a good price. We like the certainty of booking a specific stateroom. The price usually rises after a month and then offers appear with drinks packages etc but at a much higher fare. Is it the same for Cunard or do the prices stay around the same?

I recommend booking as soon as you have determined which cruise you like and the price at the moment is in your wheelhouse. Cunard does basically the same thing as Celebrity. Fares bounce up and down within a narrow range and then they play with the deal with gimmicks to make you think it is a better deal. Book, relax and don't look back at what might have been.

Jules, here in the UK we sometimes get great offers at the last minute - but they would not suit you. With such offers you are assigned whatever stateroom they haven't been able to get rid of. Sometimes it might be very noisy. You need to book the 'Cunard fare' and not the 'Saver fare'. Choose a time when the offer sounds good in terms of low price or special offers like OBC.

Edited by fantasy51

All Carnival Brands use the POLAR booking engine. It's backed by an algorithm that automatically adjusts pricing in each catagory accoring to booking demand. I followed one particular voyage for last October and at times PG cost more than QG while the lowest grade inside was asking for more than the price of a balcony! It's impossible to predict what will happen to pricing because it's impossible to predict which categoies are going to be popular on a given voyage.

The main difference in your case however is that UK deposits are not refundable while they are in the US. Since choice and securing your stateroom selection are important for you, Lakesregion has the best advice for your situation: Book at the price which is agreeable to you and never look back.

We book as soon as we find an interesting cruise at a great price. We have one Celebrity cruise for 2017 booked (with free gratuities, drinks and OBC) and it was about half of what they are asking for the identical cruise in 2016. Go figure.

Our recent South Pacific cruise on the Queen Victoria was only booked about a month out and we paid a lot less than anyone else to whom we spoke and less than half of what the same cruise is selling for now.

I honestly don't think you can predict. You just have to keep your eyes open and jump on the good prices when you see them.

Our recent South Pacific cruise on the Queen Victoria was only booked about a month out and we paid a lot less than anyone else to whom we spoke and less than half of what the same cruise is selling for now.

I really hope it didn't partly spoil the cruise for those people, feeling that they had 'wasted' money because they did not get a bargain as good as yours.

I am now very careful not to tell people about my bargains unless they are in a position to emulate my prices in future (i.e. retired and able to go at short notice), and can learn from my actions.

It is so tempting to 'brag' about our successes out of the best of motives - that we are really thrilled with our success - and to forget the effect it has on those who hear our prices.

I really hope it didn't partly spoil the cruise for those people, feeling that they had 'wasted' money because they did not get a bargain as good as yours.

I am now very careful not to tell people about my bargains unless they are in a position to emulate my prices in future (i.e. retired and able to go at short notice), and can learn from my actions.

It is so tempting to 'brag' about our successes out of the best of motives - that we are really thrilled with our success - and to forget the effect it has on those who hear our prices.

I like your approach. Bragging about one's own good deal, especially to somebody who cannot take advantage of it for whatever reason, certainly cannot make the listener happy. And what does it accomplish? A claim to superior intellect, masterful fact finding, and shrewd negotiation skills?

We've taken advantage of last minute bargains on a couple of occasions but I was a bit shocked last time when someone asked how much we'd paid ! I just said I didn't like to discuss money.

'How much' has never ever been broached as a topic of conversation on any of our many cruises and if it were, we would do the same as you. It would not be up for discussion. At all.

Our recent South Pacific cruise on the Queen Victoria was only booked about a month out and we paid a lot less than anyone else to whom we spoke .

So you regularly brought up the subject of "we paid $...... much did you pay"

When did you say your next cruise was?

David.

I frequently coordinate the Meet & Greets on our cruises and some of the most popular topics of discussion at these meetings are always "How to Find the Best Deals", "When to Book", "How to Maximize OBC" and other money-saving techniques. So, yes, I do frequently discuss money issues with other passengers.

For me, getting the best value for my dollar is very important. I am one of those types who would prefer take 4 or 5 cruises a year, rather than one or two, so I work hard at learning to stretch my cruising dollars and help others learn to stretch their cruising dollars (and/or pounds) as well.

There may be some who find discussions of money vulgar, but, while others may take pride in having paid full price, I have always been a sucker for a big "SALE" sign. :p

I frequently coordinate the Meet & Greets on our cruises and some of the most popular topics of discussion at these meetings are always "How to Find the Best Deals", "When to Book", "How to Maximize OBC" and other money-saving techniques. So, yes, I do frequently discuss money issues with other passengers.

If this is what is discussed at Meet & Greets, then I'm glad I have not attended any of them on our previous voyages. I'm fairly certain that one could find answers to all of this type of questions by searching CC and other internet sites. However, I would venture that these are the type of questions that should be researched well before stepping on board the ship. I would not want to waste one minute of my on board time doing things that I can do at home. There is never enough time during the day to experience all of the interesting and entertaining things that are available on the ship.

Bob

If this is what is discussed at Meet & Greets, then I'm glad I have not attended any of them on our previous voyages. I'm fairly certain that one could find answers to all of this type of questions by searching CC and other internet sites. However, I would venture that these are the type of questions that should be researched well before stepping on board the ship. I would not want to waste one minute of my on board time doing things that I can do at home. There is never enough time during the day to experience all of the interesting and entertaining things that are available on the ship.

Bob

To each his own.

Meet and Greets cover a wide range of topics. When I organize them, I usually prepare written invitations to the Senior Officers and take them to the Purser's desk upon boarding for delivery to the appropriate officers. Depending on the number of officers who attend, we will either have a casual meet and mingle with the officers (when we get a bunch), or else a Q&A with the officers when we only have a few. We interact with the officers first, because they often don't have a lot of time. On our Panama Canal cruise we had 12 Senior Officers in attendance at our Meet & Greet.

Then, after the officers leave, we all introduce ourselves and indicate our home town and then open it up for general discussion. That discussion runs to whatever interests the attendees and that is invariably how to save money or get more OBC. Of course there are lots of other topics that are covered, but those are some of the most popular.

Personally, I have saved many thousands of dollars as a result of the information I have learned at Meet & Greets, and also acquired many thousands of dollars of OBC which I otherwise would never have received. Moreover, I meet a lot of people at the beginning of the cruise who become shipboard friends and have a whole lot of fun.

For me, that is well worth the investment of an hour's worth of ship time. But different strokes...........

Bob

That's not been my experience at Meet & Greets, generally the conversation revolves around the ship, excursions, travelling in general.

The Cunard ones are usually just an informal gathering, I've been to them on HAL and Azamara where officers attended but they were a rather different sort of event.

I think the type of event PunkiC is describing is more common on Princess.

That's not been my experience at Meet & Greets, generally the conversation revolves around the ship, excursions, travelling in general.

The Cunard ones are usually just an informal gathering, I've been to them on HAL and Azamara where officers attended but they were a rather different sort of event.

I think the type of event PunkiC is describing is more common on Princess.

Actually I was describing the type of Meet & Greets that I have organized most recently on Cunard, both the QE and QV, but, yes, I have also organized them on Princess. Of course, not every organizer goes to the trouble of inviting the officers, nor are they capable of coordinating a meeting that encourages lots of passenger input, or making it a lot of fun to share ideas publicly. I, however, had done a great deal of public speaking on the national level during my working years, and really enjoy encouraging audience participation. It always amazes me how much I learn during these exchanges, from both the officers and the other passengers. I love it.

While I have never organized a Meet & Greet on HAL, I must say that I was impressed with HAL's officer participation and the fact that they provide champagne, mimosas, and lovely hors d'oeuvres, which I have never seen on any other ship. On Cunard we get coffee, tea, cookies and donuts, and on Princess we get nothing. ;)

Try a Meet & Greet. You might even like it. :p

Edited by PunkiC

I have attended many Meet and Greets on various ships, and various cruiselines in 30+ cruises and I have to say I have never, ever heard anyone ask how much anyone paid, nor how much OBC they had.

It would never occur to me to ask someone, and I certainly wouldn't disclose it if asked myself.

Then you will have to just attend a Meet & Greet I organize and see how much you learn. :p

Typically, after I organize a Meet & Greet, many people will come up to me then and even later on the ship and tell me it was the most interesting and informative Meet & Greet they have ever attended, as well as the most fun. Fun is good.

:)

Then you will have to just attend a Meet & Greet I organize and see how much you learn. )

If the first thing I'm going to learn is how little you have paid I think I would rather decline thank you.

David.

I have attended many Meet and Greets on various ships, and various cruiselines in 30+ cruises and I have to say I have never, ever heard anyone ask how much anyone paid, nor how much OBC they had.

It would never occur to me to ask someone, and I certainly wouldn't disclose it if asked myself.

Do you think it's a cultural thing ? Is it generally the British who are a bit horrified at the thought of discussing how much they have paid ?

(Having said that it was someone British who asked me)

Edited by hattie the cattie

Actually I was describing the type of Meet & Greets that I have organized most recently on Cunard, both the QE and QV, but, yes, I have also organized them on Princess. Of course, not every organizer goes to the trouble of inviting the officers, nor are they capable of coordinating a meeting that encourages lots of passenger input, or making it a lot of fun to share ideas publicly. I, however, had done a great deal of public speaking on the national level during my working years, and really enjoy encouraging audience participation. It always amazes me how much I learn during these exchanges, from both the officers and the other passengers. I love it.

Try a Meet & Greet. You might even like it. :p

This reminds me of a discussion recently about the different styles of Meet and Greets, I've not experienced one of the "fun" type just the low key get togethers, usually over a drink in the Commodore Club.

As I said on a previous thread with a similar subject, the moment I hear someone boasting to all about the low price of their fare, the hot deal they got, how clever they've been... and in a loud voice tell everyone how little money they parted with... my immediate response is to say (in a caring, concerned and deeply worried voice)...

"as much as that?" ;)