Solarium?

thatdarnpunk

Is the water heated in the pool in the solarium? I hear pools on ships can be quite cold sometimes.

From our two sailings on the Solstice, we found the Solarium pools to be fine and very comfortable in water temperatures during our trips. In fact, we really loved this area as one of our most favorite locations on the ship. Below is one of my pieces of "photo evidence" as proof for why it is such an enjoyable location.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 104,470 views for this posting.

The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

On the Eclipse the temperature in the solarium pool seemed to vary. Sometimes it was very mild, other times slightly cooler (my wife said "cold", as she inched her way down the steps). pools will normally warm up (unless purposely chilled) during the day, particularly if the sun is shining. Indoor pools are usually slightly less prone to energy loss so should hold what heat they have slightly longer.

Our last trip on Solstice the first leg was to the South Pacific so the water was fine but then the next leg of the b2b was to NZ and there was a lot of people complained for a couple of days so then they heated the solarium pool. I think the staff just got caught out with it cooling down so quickly.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

I also love the solarium, but I find the loungers very uncomfortable, especially for reading. The angle of the highest notch is still too low for comfortable reading. I've tried putting towels behind, but it still doesn't work. I like to sit more upright when reading.

On both Equinox (S class) and Summit (M class) the Solarium pool was heated. Didn't notice any variation in temperatures during my sailings. I will say it can also be extremely salty, to where it stung my eyes on this years Summit cruise. I realize the water is source from the ocean, but it seemed much saltier than the regular pools. Maybe when it is heated there is more evaporation?