Tracy's Crab Shack - Worth It for Those With Access to Crab?

GreySkies

I keep reading over and over that one should go to Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Should people that have ample access to crab normally still seek this out?

It also looks like I'll be in Juneau just after they finish their Dungee season.

Thanks,

I keep reading over and over that one should go to Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Should people that have ample access to crab normally still seek this out?

It also looks like I'll be in Juneau just after they finish their Dungee season.

Thanks,

Personally, I don't think so. During Alaska cruise season the crab legs are frozen ones anyway.

Thanks,

I wouldn't bother. I honestly don't think the crab there is any better than what we buy from the freezer section at the grocery store.

Thanks,

Depends....

• what is the price of crab at Tracy vs where you live?
  • there is crab available in Juneau when you are there.... is there crab where you might be located? Is it seasonal?
  • When travelling.... do you seek out local foods? Are king crabs from Alaska?
  • Some cruise ships serve king crab (eg DCL). Does yours? How much?
  • If Tracy serves you a dead frozen crab.... what about having a live crab when in Vancouver when you have more time? Why not try a comparison? Will that be boil 'n butter? Deep Fried? Ginger? Garlic? Spiced? Baked? All of the above with the same animal at the same time?
    http://www.followmefoodie.com/2014/04/dynasty-seafood-restaurant-alaskan-king-crab-dinner-vancouver/ (scroll down!)

Personally, I usually go there a few times a year and I run my own Dungy lines in Juneau during the summer.

Is the king crab at Tracy's anything extra ordinary? No, not really. I will give them that their supplier has decent quality crab and they cook it right. I've bought frozen king crab in the midwest. Sometimes it wasn't bad. More than once, when the crab was cooked, they screwed it up big time. It was way too salty and it just ruined the flavor.

So is Tracy's a must do? If you are looking for a good king crab meal and have $100 to spend, yeah, I think it is worth it. If you have gotten a king crab meal on the ship or you have a good, reliable supply at home, then it isn't something I'd go out of my way for.

It was worth it to me to discover that King Crab tastes the same in Alaska as it does from Costco in Texas. Now I can happily eat crab from a local store and not worry that it tastes better in Alaska. :)

If you like crab and Tracy's is in your budget, then yes absolutely you should eat there!

7158323935_4e16e0bc7d.jpg

The real Tracy's Arms! by ikirumata, on Flickr

Enjoy!

A couple of years ago I went to Tracys due to all the talk. WOW expensive. So we walked along the walkway and found anoter place...Like a fast food shack and they had an incredible price. We sat and ate crab and watched the floatplanes land right there on the dock. This place was close to tracys but down the left on the dock

sorry do not remember the name

A couple of years ago I went to Tracys due to all the talk. WOW expensive. So we walked along the walkway and found anoter place...Like a fast food shack and they had an incredible price. We sat and ate crab and watched the floatplanes land right there on the dock. This place was close to tracys but down the left on the dock

Hey that's good to know, in case one can't afford those prices.:eek: Might have to look up all the fast food shacks in Juneau.

Hey languages, been lookin at fast food places, found the Flight Deck Restaurant, its near the dock. Could that be the place?

Virginia

• 2 weeks later...
So what restaurant would you guys suggest? We were going to go to Tracy's but are are open to other suggestions.

There’s no way I’d go to Tracy’s Crab Shack. Talk about an overpriced tourist trap. We normally go to the Hanger http://www.hangaronthewharf.com/ watch the planes come and go, drink a few beers and have some fish and chips.

Edited by Eaglecw

So what restaurant would you guys suggest? We were going to go to Tracy's but are are open to other suggestions.

none of these are grab a handful in the 45 minutes between your scheduled tours

the Sandpiper

the Prospector Hotel, next to the Alaska Museum

if you have wheels

Island Pub in Douglas

the Sandtrap

if you want to see how Alaskan politics work and maybe a chance to meet Wm Spear (you will go to his gallery for some of the best/convenient souveniers)

the Triangle Club

Hanger on the Wharf has the best views but very busy during meal hours.

Pizza Roma in the same building as the Hanger

the restaurant at the Gold Belt hotel seems to turn over every couple of years so it seems inconsistant

Seong's oriental sushi restaurant next to the federal building

if you want to go full on tourist trap with everyone else from your ship, there's this scarlet animal something or other.

i can't keep up with the seasonal places. if they aren't viable year round then they aren't catering to me.

There’s no way I’d go to Tracy’s Crab Shack. Talk about an overpriced tourist trap. We normally go to the Hanger http://www.hangaronthewharf.com/ watch the planes come and go, drink a few beers and have some fish and chips.

Hangar looks good for my family. I see items that everyone in our party would like. Thanks for the suggestion.

Maggie

I went 2 years ago in June.

It was expensive, but man was it tasty, the king crab was very sweet. Plus, the owner, don't remember his name, came out to our table and gave me an extra leg of crab! Yummy I have had it a couple times here in Northern Calif bought from grocery stores and it was salty and mushy. I like sweet firm crab, like our dungeness off our coast. I am planning on sampling again in August in Juneau