Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

It won't happen. They could eliminate it and roll it into the cruise fare. But what they won't do is make a service charge mandatory. Won't happen. Don't hold your breath

To make it non discretionary would require significant changes in the EU/UK as to have a charge like that would need to be included or VERY obvious in brochures, web and booking processes.

MSC and Costa operate at the edge of legality by splattering the service charge on just about every page you look at.

When someone says the new room service charge doesn't affect them, or that they don't have an issue with it, or that they have no problem paying it does not mean they understand the issue and are voicing their opinion about it. What they are saying is they don't care about the issue. There is a big difference in regards to having an opinion regardless of what side you are on and just not caring about it. Uniall has posted that he stays in suites, so even though the new RS charge has no effect on him, his interest and thoughtful participation in the discussion shows that he does indeed understand the issue being discussed. The same cannot be said about everyone who has posted on the topic.

Rochelle

How about this, I understand the issue, I don't care about the issue and if I'm hungry enough and lazy I don't mind paying for it.

While I agree with your point, that the room service fee adds no value, couldn't the same be said for any fare increase that does not include any new material or service?

The airlines added a checked bag fee, that didn't add any value. However, the fee was added after being publicized. No one booked airfare and then discovered at the check in counter that they owed even more if they had luggage that had to be checked.

Certainly NCL has the right to increase its fare or add a new fee. Had NCL done this the same way airlines did (meaning anyone who booked after a certain date would pay the new fee), would you feel the same way?

Or, suppose that NCL simply added $3 per day per person to EVERYONE'S fare and made ALL the passengers subsidize the cost of providing room service, even if someone did not use room service. Of course if the fee is added to the fare, no one will know. NCL will not publicize how much of the fare goes to the cost of the ship, the cost of the food, the cost of the fuel, the cost of staff salaries, the cost of shore side personal salaries ... In this scenario all you would notice is that a seven night cruise has increased in cost by $21. You would not know why. How would you feel about such a fare increase (keep in mind, you would not know the reason for the increase)?

In my mind, the new fee is fine, as long as it is implemented with a fair notice.

And before Maywell chimes in, when you show up at the airport, checked bag in hand, keep in mind that checking a bag is optional (just like room service) and the airline will allow you to fly without checking any bags, just like NCL will allow you to eat without ordering room service.

The difference is there is a cost associated with the luggage in manpower and in fuel consumption that can be calculated and this expense, if the airline chooses, can be passed on to the customer in many different ways (include it in the fare, charge an extra fee, etc.).

With room service the cost to the cruise line is negligible- the fare is available in other venues for free, the staff is compensated through the service charge. So even if they had pre-announced it (and yes, I agree, that would have at least reduced the sting) they are still at the end of the day charging for something that used to be included in the fare. Yes, they have the right to do that if they want to but it still doesn't add value for the customer.

As a stand alone issue I agree with many- it's a non-starter. BUT I don't see this as a stand alone issue. I have read Del Rio's interview and I see this as a completely new direction for NCL (if I hadn't read that interview I probably would feel exactly like maywell and motleyfan). While only time will tell the changes made so far certainly suggest it. As I said on the thread regarding the issue I have no desire to sail on Celebrity-lite or Oceania-lite.

If I were married to NCL this wouldn't be grounds for divorce by any means, but it does put them in the dog house. With time they may be able to work their way out of the dog house. But as I stated before they have lost what goodwill they had earned and price alone will decide who I book with.

Like I told the other one who I put on ignore yesterday - You don't have to believe me, just as I don't have to believe you either.

I care not a single whit whether you believe me or not.

I do care if others who are trying to find out truth are confused or led astray by your falsehoods.

The Contract is UNCHANGED. NCL has changed the wording on a variety of webpages, but the Contract, which is the only language that matters, is the same as it's been for months.

When someone says the new room service charge doesn't affect them, or that they don't have an issue with it, or that they have no problem paying it does not mean they understand the issue and are voicing their opinion about it. What they are saying is they don't care about the issue. There is a big difference in regards to having an opinion regardless of what side you are on and just not caring about it. Uniall has posted that he stays in suites, so even though the new RS charge has no effect on him, his interest and thoughtful participation in the discussion shows that he does indeed understand the issue being discussed. The same cannot be said about everyone who has posted on the topic.

Rochelle

How about this, I understand the issue, I don't care about the issue and if I'm hungry enough and lazy I don't mind paying for it.

Motleyfan pretty much summarize this for everyone that truly doesn't care about the fees AND what contract / FAQ states or doesn't - I understand the issue completely that does not mean I have to agree with the opinion that you have all 'been robbed' by NCL. When they pull a move that genuinely ' robs me', I will not be surprise your opinions would be that they 'did not' AKA What affects you doesn't affect me (others) the same way. ie: Going to the buffet in the morning hurts you, doesn't bother me at all because there's that and the other choices of the MDR / O'Sheenans.

I care not a single whit whether you believe me or not.

I do care if others who are trying to find out truth are confused or led astray by your falsehoods.

The Contract is UNCHANGED. NCL has changed the wording on a variety of webpages, but the Contract, which is the only language that matters, is the same as it's been for months.

They took out word discretionary from the bold Service Contract and wording is completely different by taking out 'gratuities' from when was there earlier last month. The only thing left old ' is the 'at your discretion" part. But like I said, you don't have to believe me not a whit; just as I don't have to believe you neither.

Please don't tell me you're claiming to have never heard of "grandfathering" for folks who have already booked?!

Just in case, it's quite simple... announce a beginning date for a change and all those booked before the beginning date are exempt from the change.

So the charge wouldn't take effect for the next 2+ years, as long as you'd "booked" a fully refundable cruise? More appropriate might have been anybody past final payment is grandfathered... but would that apply to last-minute bookers too? Those who are now making a CHOICE to take that cruise?

They were inundated with outrage complaints about the room service because of the secret planning and sneak attack. Many of the posters still don't get it. NCL has broken a bond of "trust" with many loyal customers that is the commercial equivalent of infidelity.

I'm beginning to suspect this type of back room one way street loyalty planning, following NCL's November aquisition of Regent & Oceania, may have had something to do will Kevin Sheehan's surprise January resignation.

John

PS

I've already expressed my angst with the situation.

If anyone wants contact NCL Management here's

Elliott.org's Corporate Contacts List:

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL)

Norwegian Cruise Line Corporation Ltd. (Norwegian), a wholly owned subsidiary of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., is an American company operating cruise line, headquartered in Miami, FL.

The company is best known for its Freestyle Cruising concept, which means that there are no set times or seating arrangements for meals, nor is formal attire required.

7665 Corporate Center Dr.

Miami, FL 33126

http://www.ncl.com

Phone Contacts

Main: (305) 436-4000

Customer Service: (866) 234-7350

Toll Free: (866) 234-7350

International: (305) 436-4000

Email Contacts:

Passenger Services: passengerservices@ncl.com

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

VEwart@ncl.com

Crane Gladding

Exec. V.P. Passenger Services

CGladding@ncl.com

Chief Operating Officer

Andy Stuart

President and COO NCL

AStuart@ncl.com

Chief Executive Officer

Frank J. Del Rio

President and Chief Executive Officer Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

fdelrio@ncl.com

Crane Gladding doesn't work there anymore.

That's perfectly fair too. :)

Question: If you really don't care, why continue to follow the thread and continue to post?

Rochelle

I think you may be on to something. It's just my speculation is that Apollo may have promised the keys to FDR, and they basically forced Kevin out. Sad if true, as Kevin brought the brand and line back from the brink of disaster.

Yes Sir,

Apollo may be the one in the background stirring the pot while intoning:

"Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble." LOL

Hopefully, Kevin Sheehan is enjoying the well deserved tranquility and respite of his country estate about 20 miles from Shannon Airport, Ireland.

They took out word discretionary from the bold Service Contract and wording is completely different by taking out 'gratuities' from when was there earlier last month. The only thing left old ' is the 'at your discretion" part. But like I said, you don't have to believe me not a whit; just as I don't have to believe you neither.

I can not find the text string "Service Contract" (bold or otherwise) anywhere in the Contract. If you can quote the exact text you believe has been changed, in the Contract, that will help me understand why you believe you're not lying.

So the charge wouldn't take effect for the next 2+ years, as long as you'd "booked" a fully refundable cruise? More appropriate might have been anybody past final payment is grandfathered... but would that apply to last-minute bookers too? Those who are now making a CHOICE to take that cruise?

Crane Gladding doesn't work there anymore.

Thanks for the Update.

When did Crane Gladding leave and where did he go?

John

Edited by Uniall

I can not find the text string "Service Contract" (bold or otherwise) anywhere in the Contract. If you can quote the exact text you believe has been changed, in the Contract, that will help me understand why you believe you're not lying.

After the way you insulted me, No - you can stay believing that's I'm not being truthful...I believe that a better course of action for everyone on this forum (I gain an epiphany around last night and it stuck me again at around 8am EST - Why should I help those that do not have common courtesy for others that have differing opinions from them?)

And I am typing in the most calmest tone imaginable - You and others that have differing opinions can decide if I screaming and being outright nastily rude in this post.

Loads of bookings years out are not fully refundable.

Edited by insidecabin

Loads of booking years out are not fully refundable.

Fine, then NCL can give you a window to cancel your cruise if you don't accept the new terms and conditions. Still shady because they're engaging in false advertising but not nearly as bad as what they've done here.

Page 2 of this document.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

Rochelle

I find it amazing that they don't understand the issue, because they don't agree with you. If room service was the only place to eat or they forced you to order room service, then I would agree with your stance, but they don't. Edited by NLH Arizona

I find it amazing that they don't understand the issue, because they don't agree with you. If room service was the only place to eat or they forced you to order room service, then I would agree with your stance, but they don't.

If you had booked a cruise and after you paid they said there is now an MDR entrance fee. The food is free, but you have to pay each time you enter, how would you feel about that? After all, the MDR is not the only place to eat and they do not force you to eat there. You could still eat at the buffet or the pool grill or at the pub.

This is about being advertised one set of amenities, and then finding that NCL is willing to change those amenities, and to do so by giving no notice to people already on a cruise. In the DSC thread many people say things like, you may be ALLOWED to reduce your DSC, but we don't think that is the right thing to do.

Well, NCL may be ALLOWED to impose any new fee it wants without giving anyone any notice at all, but I don't think it is the right thing to do. For a community of like minded members there sure is a very strong defense of the corporation and very little empathy for individuals that all are subject to the same changes and charges. Afterall, at some point they will put a fee on something that you consider core to the cruising experience, and they won't give you notice or make any concessions for you. Do you want to be a member of a community that defends the corporation, or one that will empathize and help you?

I find it amazing that they don't understand the issue, because they don't agree with you. If room service was the only place to eat or they forced you to order room service, then I would agree with your stance, but they don't.

NLH

I'm going to try one more time to explain to you why the intolerance of differing opinions is not held by those upst by NCL's new Room Service Convience Charge. The intolerance occurs most prevelent among thos who don't care about the change.

Those who assert your position keep arguing that the new charge issue is not a problem, either because it does not affect you or there are alternative ways to deal with it (e.g. go to the buffet for take out).

Those who are angered by NCL's new Room Service Convenience Charge are upset because it rescinds a long offered perk that affects their enjoyment level but, more importantly, it was removed like a thief in the night and they were stripped of a promised benefit that helped induce them to book the cruise.

The critical issue is the secret back room plan to remove a long time and well advertised offer of free room service. It's that breach of trust between NCL and its customer base that is the most upsetting issue.

Analysis of your postion is:

The change does not affect me, therefore I don't believe its a problem. Since I don't believe it's a problem, therefore others should stop posting complaints about an non existent problem.

Analysis of their postion is:

The change by NCL may or may not affect me but manner in which it was done violated legal and community standards, therefore NCL has breached a trust between us.

Since NCL has breached that trust once, they could do it again on another more encompassing issue, therefore everyone should oppose the process.