Kids on Grandeur

LIT JR

Hi

We are leaving tomorrow on the Grandeur with our kids (10 and 4, both girls).

They are both looking forward to going to the camp. We took them on the Enchantment several years ago. Will anybody else be bringing kids with them.

Its almost here ! 1 more day

Thanks

Lee

I'm quite sure there will be other kids on your sailing....in many places there is Easter Holiday (for those who didn't get snowed out this year!!), and folks who had booked way in advance are still taking their kids out of school regardless!

Well, I am going to be Debbie Downer here. I am a high school teacher and it is really annoying when parents take their kids out of school for a cruise. I feel for the kids who have tons of work to make up and labs that they missed while they were on vacation. I always wondered when the parents expect the kids to make up the work and if they expected me to stay after contract hours to have their children make up the labs they missed. They also miss classroom instruction and when they return they are lost. I had one young lady tell me in tears that she would never miss school again because there was so much work to make up when she returned (her parents took her out twice for a Disney cruise in the first semester alone).

Just wondering what parents expect from us teachers in regard to making up work.

Well, I am going to be Debbie Downer here. I am a high school teacher and it is really annoying when parents take their kids out of school for a cruise. I feel for the kids who have tons of work to make up and labs that they missed while they were on vacation. I always wondered when the parents expect the kids to make up the work and if they expected me to stay after contract hours to have their children make up the labs they missed. They also miss classroom instruction and when they return they are lost. I had one young lady tell me in tears that she would never miss school again because there was so much work to make up when she returned (her parents took her out twice for a Disney cruise in the first semester alone).

Just wondering what parents expect from us teachers in regard to making up work.

While I agree taking kids out of school isn't generally a good plan, it isn't always avoidable. We had record snowfall this year. As a result, many cities & towns have cancelled, or shortened, their spring break. Families frequently cruise during that break & this change leaves parents with two choices. Take the kids out of school or lose the money spent on airfare & the cruise. Since the cruise was planned & paid in full before the excessive snow, they are taking their kids out of school. Under those circumstances, most people would consider it an acceptable reason for missing school.

I agree, scheduling a cruise during a holiday is the wisest thing to do and yes, the amount of snow we had this year was out of the ordinary.

I was referring to those parents who take their kids out of school on non-holiday times or extend their holidays passed the allotted days. I am also not talking about once in a lifetime vacation (celebrating grandma's 90th birthday) just vacations scheduled for the parents' convenience.

I wouldn't take my DD out of high school as I do agree that the workload can be too much, but before junior high, I think it depends on the student whether they can handle making up the work.

We're taking DD out of 5th grade in late May/Early June to do a 12 night Med cruise combined with a long weekend to visit some family in Ireland before the cruise, and since she is an great student, her teachers have already signed off on the trip and asked her to do a special presentation when she returns.

I also keep in mind the actual work that is accomplished at that time year, and the fact that she spent a lot of time the previous June assisting the front office with "shredding duties," and I know she will be learning a lot from this trip, but it is the last one that I plan to take her out of scheduled breaks on.

Grandeur is a great ship, and I'm sure the OP will find plenty of kid onboard this week and next.

Edited by powelweb

We sailed grandeur the first week of April last year and there are a ton of kids. We sailed in Feb this year but i consulted my son's teacher before booking and she said GO! She insisted that the culture experienced while traveling is invaluable. She did ask him to put together a slide show presentation to share with the class when he got home,.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

so i assume you have a perfect attendance record as well? no sick days no vacation days? i understand the workload is tough but to miss out on memory making moments on a vacation i think is worth it. i remember when i went to school teachers taking lots of vacations in fact i even had some teachers throughout my education who were retiring that year and burned up all there time off ....

i dont remember as a kid the affect a vacation had, but i know now after a vacation i always come back recharged and ready to work

we were on grandeur on march 3rd and there was 40 kids on the whole cruise and my daughter was one of three kids in her age group in the adventure ocean but she still had a blast there

Edited by Aintnofun007

Children NEED breaks, just as adults do, and the one thing that always has me scratching my head when people post about this topic is that it is always about the children and teachers. What about the adults, who are PAYING for the cruise from their SALARY? Most adults cannot just take off at any time of year without approval, and in my job and my husband's, summer isa very busy time when taking off is frowned upon. As a former teacher and child of two teachers, I say it is ridiculous for schools to expect that families can always vacation when school is out. Thankfully I have yet to encounter a single teacher here in MD who has the attitude previously posted. In fact, most are very nice about it and even offer to extend deadlines for work. I NEVER ask for any special effort to be made on my children's behalf. In the big picture of life, missing some days at school is not even worth mentioning!

It is interesting to read the perspective of parents who take their kids out of school for a cruise. I am wondering if any of the students mentioned are in high school with 8 classes and missing 5-10 days of school. That is a LOT of work to make up in a short amount of time. As a teacher who has to deal with those absences (late work) and also the students who are overwhelmed with the make up workload, I wonder if it is in the best interest of the child. Give the student a choice - a wonderful cruise or staying in school - you know which one they will choose. ;)

I am not referring to elementary or middle school students who won't miss much while they are gone, but high school students who will. I think of the one young lady who was in tears because her parents took her on two cruises in the first semester and couldn't catch up in any of her classes and so her grade suffered. Her parents called a meeting with all the teachers and wanted to know why their daughter's grades were so low when in middle school she was a straight A student. Gee, I wonder why...:rolleyes:

It's a parent's choice to take them out of school but they should consider how they can handle the workload when they return.

As for me, someone asked if I ever take a vacation. LOL Well, yes, but only in the summer. I am a rule follower and in my school district we only get 3 personal days per school year so that would preclude me from taking a week long cruise during the school year. Plus I HAVE to be there for my students so they can pass their standardized tests that are so important. :D

It is interesting to read the perspective of parents who take their kids out of school for a cruise. I am wondering if any of the students mentioned are in high school with 8 classes and missing 5-10 days of school. That is a LOT of work to make up in a short amount of time. As a teacher who has to deal with those absences (late work) and also the students who are overwhelmed with the make up workload, I wonder if it is in the best interest of the child. Give the student a choice - a wonderful cruise or staying in school - you know which one they will choose. ;)

I am not referring to elementary or middle school students who won't miss much while they are gone, but high school students who will. I think of the one young lady who was in tears because her parents took her on two cruises in the first semester and couldn't catch up in any of her classes and so her grade suffered. Her parents called a meeting with all the teachers and wanted to know why their daughter's grades were so low when in middle school she was a straight A student. Gee, I wonder why...:rolleyes:

It's a parent's choice to take them out of school but they should consider how they can handle the workload when they return.

As for me, someone asked if I ever take a vacation. LOL Well, yes, but only in the summer. I am a rule follower and in my school district we only get 3 personal days per school year so that would preclude me from taking a week long cruise during the school year. Plus I HAVE to be there for my students so they can pass their standardized tests that are so important. :D

My sister and I took our first cruise with our parents mid February when we were in high school...we were in 11th and 12th grade....average students....8 night cruise...and guess what...we got work done in the time it was expected to be done, made up test when we got back...etc, in fact we each had to write a paper on new experiences we had while on this vacation, what different cultures we learned etc as a required assignment from our school....its a public school by the way if that would even matter....

With that being said I think I would take my children during the school year as long as they were average or above average students, and as a responsible parent I would help my children get caught up if need be by holding them accountable and supporting them to ensure they are all caught up....