Fees and Charges

zqvol

There are multiple threads about fees and charges on the NCL board right now. Almost every post in these threads is a complaint. I am well aware that what I am about to say is going to turn into an good excuse to flame me but here goes anyway:

At most US hotels there is a delivery fee attached to room service orders of between $7 - $10 per person in the room, not per order.

At most US dining establishments the expected tip is now between 18% - 20%.

At most US hotels it is expected that the maid will be left $5 per day as a gratuity.

On a cruise line in the main dining room no tip is required for what most people consider an upscale meal that they would leave at least $10 per person as the gratuity. This doesn't include the other two meals that you eat daily - even in a land based cafeteria it is expected to leave a small gratuity to the people who assist with the trays.

On a cruise you are not asked or expected to leave the cabin steward anything other than his portion of the DSC.

On the meals and drinks that are not included you are asked to pay an 18% gratuity on the ship. Very similar to what you would pay on land, the big difference being in the specialty restaurants where you pay 18% of the very reduced cost of a meal. (A meal in Cagney's on land would be well over $100 /pp. ) The gratuity on the ship is about $6 while on land it would be about $20pp.

I can point you to a number of cruise lines that do not charge gratuities or a DSC, do not charge for alcohol, or specialty restaurants of course their average fares for ocean view cabins are over $500 per person per day. I can assure you that these cruise are a bargain for the value received, but most that cruise NCL can't or won't pay these costs.

The bottom line is that even with these changes cruising is an extreme value. No one is forced to cruise, and no one is force to pay the add on fees other than the DSC. If you don't like the costs and the changes then either find another cruise line that you like better or stay home.

There are multiple threads about fees and charges on the NCL board right now. Almost every post in these threads is a complaint. I am well aware that what I am about to say is going to turn into an good excuse to flame me but here goes anyway:

At most US hotels there is a delivery fee attached to room service orders of between $7 - $10 per person in the room, not per order.

At most US dining establishments the expected tip is now between 18% - 20%.

At most US hotels it is expected that the maid will be left $5 per day as a gratuity.

On a cruise line in the main dining room no tip is required for what most people consider an upscale meal that they would leave at least $10 per person as the gratuity. This doesn't include the other two meals that you eat daily - even in a land based cafeteria it is expected to leave a small gratuity to the people who assist with the trays.

On a cruise you are not asked or expected to leave the cabin steward anything other than his portion of the DSC.

On the meals and drinks that are not included you are asked to pay an 18% gratuity on the ship. Very similar to what you would pay on land, the big difference being in the specialty restaurants where you pay 18% of the very reduced cost of a meal. (A meal in Cagney's on land would be well over $100 /pp. ) The gratuity on the ship is about $6 while on land it would be about $20pp.

I can point you to a number of cruise lines that do not charge gratuities or a DSC, do not charge for alcohol, or specialty restaurants of course their average fares for ocean view cabins are over $500 per person per day. I can assure you that these cruise are a bargain for the value received, but most that cruise NCL can't or won't pay these costs.

The bottom line is that even with these changes cruising is an extreme value. No one is forced to cruise, and no one is force to pay the add on fees other than the DSC. If you don't like the costs and the changes then either find another cruise line that you like better or stay home.

True. But as an example. In Europe on Epic normally 60-70% are non US. On Spirit this month of 2000 guests only 150 were from the US. Maybe they should charge inclusive fares without all this tipping on European cruises and cheaper fares with the extras for US cruises?

You're right, we can all spend our vacation $$ where & how we choose. The main objections I see is NCL changing or testing these charges with no notice.

If a family of 4 is sailing on the Breakaway this week & planning on ordering a light room service breakfast every day and having a couple drinks a day, there would be over $100 more charged to their account. These charges were increased after final payment & maybe after they printed there e-docs, so they may be totally surprised.

As for me, the FCC I used for my scheduled cruise on the Escape may be the last I purchase. The OBC could well be eaten up by additional unexpected charges.

Edited by HarpHarp

Your point is well made however...that's really the point! If I WANT to pay all those extra charges, where's the incentive to cruise? Sure, visitng several "different" place in a week is great. But for this "new" cruiser, I've always thought of cruising as "all inclusive". Yes it's nice to have the option of specialty restaurants but just charge the fee!! And I don't know where you live but we have a very nice upscale steakhouse regionally that we eat at about once a month. It's cheaper than Cagney's, and more so now with the added 18% - which is what I just pointed out to DH when we ate out Saturday night!!

Except on land I don't have to haggle to get back a tip for services at restaurants I didn't go to. That is not the case with the new NCL policy. Let's say I eat room service breakfast, eat lunch on my excursions or in port(4 days), prior to boarding (1 day) and skip lunch on the remaining two days and only eat in a specialty restaurants for dinner. By your logic, I am tipping the room service person with the new 7.95 charge and an 18% gratuity is now paid directly to the specialty restaurant, so therefore I should be perfectly able to remove the portion of the daily service fee that goes to the general waitstaff since I didn't use any of them.

The bottomline is you either include all dining gratuities as point-of-service fees (like bars and spas) or include all dining gratuities in the daily service charge. By doing some combination you are either ripping off your staff because the customer will think the gratuities are already included in the DSC or rip off your customers by forcing them to pay gratuities for services they didn't get - like paying for gratuities in the non-specialty restaurants with the DSC and paying for gratuities in the specialty restaurants. I would have no problem with them removing dining from the DSC and swiping your room key before each meal and charging a set fee for each person for each meal received from room service, buffet, table service, or specialty. But the combination fees are disingenuous and do not have any analogous situations on land.

I also think that the $5 for a maid at a hotel in no way corresponds to the amount they are charging for a cabin steward. We have traveled with 4 in a cabin and paid the steward an equivalent of $16-20 per day in the corresponding auto-gratuities (assuming that the steward breakdown is 4-5 per day of the gratuities as it is on the few lines that still itemize). Are you saying I should use my "on-land" gratuity amount and just leave $5 per day??

Also I prefer a fixed price vacation I can budget for. Not one which between booking and going on vacation could vary.

I always prepay my DSC at time of booking and UBP in advanced so if I've done that and don't buy the junk in the shops or photos , bingo etc.. I get a nice 0 balance and use OBC to purchase a future cruise deposit . :D

The problem isn't that they've increased fees and charges. Any business is free to do that and we can take our business elsewhere. The problem is that they (still as of today!) list room service as complimentary and included in the cost of your cruise fare, and that is a lie. Many of us have booked and are past final payment date, and we signed a contract that listed room service as being included, and they are not honoring that agreement. This is borderline/possibly fraudulent on NCL's part.

Also I prefer a fixed price vacation I can budget for. Not one which between booking and going on vacation could vary.

I always prepay my DSC at time of booking and UBP in advanced so if I've done that and don't buy the junk in the shops or photos , bingo etc.. I get a nice 0 balance and use OBC to purchase a future cruise deposit . :D

There is my point. Why buy a future cruise credit, let NCL have use of your money, when the $100 OBC could be eaten up by unexpected charges. I'll just hold on to my money & look around for the best deal at vacation time. Cruises are fine & NCL is my favorite line, but I'm not going to commit to another cruise with them by buying a FCC.

I think NCL could have done a much better job of rolling out all of their new "fees" and perhaps there wouldn't be such an uproar of complaints!!!

For one, I think the new fees should have been rolled out slowly, one at a time. It's really startling to read here on cc the constant "announcement" from posters on the new fees. Much too much to take in all at once for me!!!!

For me, and my way that I think (ha!), I would feel better if I could have settled in with one new fee, and then down the way some, learned of another new fee. NCL customers are just getting slammed and slammed over and over.

I agree with the concept of free market rules and choices. However, the latest change comes to charging for what is listed as free under the "what is I included in my cruise fare" explanation of fees. I am part of the experiment next week on the Breakaway. I'm will use the room service as that is part of how my family enjoys our cruise vacations.

However, For the first time I will not purchase a future cruise credit as NCL has shown it will change the basic service it will provide. I can't book with a company that won't guarantee that I receive what I have purchased. I purchased a cruise that included free room service from 5 am to midnight, I will not receive that. Some do not use this service, my family does.

I do not know if they will start charging for pool chairs, towels, buffet access, etc. Once they have shown they are willing to not only change prices (their right) but to charge for previously included services, all bets are off that they will deliver what promised.

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced a new enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced a new enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

More money, more money, more money. How about letting me know about all these changes before I paid in FULL.

Thank you for responding.

For the complimentary basis items is the the convenience charge zero?

If not, it is not complimentary if we are forced to pay a charge of any sort,

I hope this concept of "convenience charges" is not rolled out to the rest of the fleet.

Luckily I will be on the Jewel in two weeks, not the Breakaway or Getaway. I will still be able to get my morning coffee and pastry in the cabin for what I choose to tip the server, not for some "convenience" fee decided on by NCL.

In the past we have purchased Future Cruise Certficate but will not be doing so this time since NCL has sprung new fees on unsuspecting guests even after final payment has been made.

This platinum member might be jumping ship from NCL.

Edited by NMLady

For the complimentary basis items is the the convenience charge zero?

If not, it is not complimentary if we are forced to pay a charge of any sort.

Doesn't matter what you order, a single pot of coffee, or 10 pizzas. You pay a charge for the convenience of having it delivered to your room.

Edited by softsands

When I booked my cruise on the Getaway (I am now past final payment date) your website indicated that my cruise fare included COMPLIMENTARY room service. How is it that you believe that you can arbitrarily violate the terms of the cruise ticket contract I entered with you when I purchased the ticket from you? This is a classic bait and switch and a completely unacceptable business practice on your behalf. You are free to raise fees to whatever you want for prospective customers, but you are violating the terms of your own cruise ticket contract by arbitrarily raising fees for those of us who have already paid for our tickets, and you should expect legal action if you persist in this course. You have also lost two customers who have been on 3 Seven Day NCL cruises in the past 14 months.

The food on the room service menu is complimentary (FREE). If you want to receive it, you must incur the convenience charge.

Bottom line:
Complimentary + Convenience Charge = NOT FREE

So, if you want to avoid the Convenience Charge, where can you pickup your room service items for free?

Doesn't matter what you order, a single pot of coffee, or 10 pizzas. You pay a charge for the convenience of having it delivered to your room.

Hmm. I wonder if NCL is going to remove coffee pots from balcony rooms and from suites or if using the pots will generate a "convenience charge" for the convenience of having 24 hour coffee available.