Tahiti and French Polynesia cruise

Misty Blue 528

Also, Pago Pago can handle the larger ships.

True, that, but it's not French Polynesia. It is Polynesia, however.

If I was doing a single FP cruise (10 nights) on Princess, I would certainly consider Paul Gauguin because they do have that great free air deal. I toured the ship; it was quite nice, but I left unconvinced that it would offer a significantly better experience than on the Pacific Princess. I also would only consider the PG for their rare, longer itineraries. Same with Windstar. Oceania is a more likely alternative for us, but...$$$.

I think the Aranui still is worth investigating. We saw it several times, and in Bora Bora and Rangiroa, too (I thought they only did the Marquesas Islands, but obviously not). The experience would obviously be very different from a mass market cruise line, and it looked like the passenger demographic was very European, but I would enjoy that.

We are booked to do the Pacific Princess in French Polynesia again this fall, but the price is very high. DH keeps telling me it didn't start dropping last year until late April, but I am losing hope a bit. One of the sailings already has several closed cabin categories. I think that people realize that the opportunity to do this may be quickly coming to an end. DH claims he is willing to do it at any cost for that reason, but I'm not so sure...

You could always check into something like this:

https://www.freightercruises.com/voyages.php#anchor_world_cruises

or

http://www.aranui.com/

While it might be missing some of the amenities of a cruise ship, but still let's you hit the areas you might want to see.

I checked out the freightercruises link. Pretty cool. I can see that appealing to some people.

One hope I suppose is as other lines (like Oceania) add capacity they will, at least for a while, offer competitive rates in order to fill that added capacity.

I have to be hopeful as it sure appears that our first Pacific Princess FP cruise this fall will be our last -- at least on the Princess little ladies...

True, that, but it's not French Polynesia. It is Polynesia, however.

If I was doing a single FP cruise (10 nights) on Princess, I would certainly consider Paul Gauguin because they do have that great free air deal. I toured the ship; it was quite nice, but I left unconvinced that it would offer a significantly better experience than on the Pacific Princess. I also would only consider the PG for their rare, longer itineraries. Same with Windstar. Oceania is a more likely alternative for us, but...$$$.

I think the Aranui still is worth investigating. We saw it several times, and in Bora Bora and Rangiroa, too (I thought they only did the Marquesas Islands, but obviously not). The experience would obviously be very different from a mass market cruise line, and it looked like the passenger demographic was very European, but I would enjoy that.

We are booked to do the Pacific Princess in French Polynesia again this fall, but the price is very high. DH keeps telling me it didn't start dropping last year until late April, but I am losing hope a bit. One of the sailings already has several closed cabin categories. I think that people realize that the opportunity to do this may be quickly coming to an end. DH claims he is willing to do it at any cost for that reason, but I'm not so sure...

I considered the Aranui also. As a solo traveler they offer a single bunk in a dormitory style room for a reasonable price--but that could be good or bad.. depending on the people. However, I will give it a try at some point. I've read several blogs from folks that have sailed and the experience looks very unique.

I hope you (and G) are on the September 28th sailing. I know that one is not going down in price. It has done nothing but go up since I booked it last year.

And looking at princess' website, it appears there are only a few OVs and 1 or 2 of the huge suites open at this point. Will be interesting to see how much that changes closer to final payment.

Jill

I hope you (and G) are on the September 28th sailing. I know that one is not going down in price. It has done nothing but go up since I booked it last year.

And looking at princess' website, it appears there are only a few OVs and 1 or 2 of the huge suites open at this point. Will be interesting to see how much that changes closer to final payment.

Jill

I wonder why that September 28th cruise in particular is so popular. Last year there was a TA from South Korea who brought a sizable group on board, and I wonder if that might be it. I get a bit sad every day when I check prices. I think two cruises dropped by $45pp but that was it. I agree that September 28th isn't going to budge, though an inside became available one day and we grabbed it, since we really didn't want the higher ocean view that we had booked as our only option. But I still have hope for the others.

J and G -

So glad to hear you're on our Sept 28 Pacific Princess cruise! We'll be doing just that one while I'd imagine you'll be doing multiple...

After reading your blog we're even thinking of doing some of the things you guys did and you wrote about -- like a relaxing and scenic lunch at Kia Ora on Rangiora.

Brian

Does anyone know if Pacific Princess, or any other cruise line, does a cruise from Tahiti, visits French Polynesia Islands, and returns to Tahiti.........IN THE SPRING?

I am told that their schedule for 2016 is not out yet. I just want to know if any cruise ship does do this cruise in April or May.

Thank you,

MB

Paul Gauguin, absolutely the best by far. Did Fiji to Papetee (3 weeks) !

I wonder why that September 28th cruise in particular is so popular. Last year there was a TA from South Korea who brought a sizable group on board, and I wonder if that might be it. I get a bit sad every day when I check prices. I think two cruises dropped by $45pp but that was it. I agree that September 28th isn't going to budge, though an inside became available one day and we grabbed it, since we really didn't want the higher ocean view that we had booked as our only option. But I still have hope for the others.

That may be it. I just hope there is not a large group on the ship. Other times I've experienced that, the groups just tend to take over venues.

In a few years, I hope to do B2B2B2B etc.. like you are doing now. :)

Glad you are on board!

Jill