Straw Market?

pansoup81

Straw market is a few blocks aways (do not remember 4 or 5). Go straight to the main street and make a left, it will be ahead three or four blocks.

Sorry I should have said "make a right" instead of left

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate it. We are traveling for the first time. First vacation, first cruise and taking our kids. Trying to find the safest, family appropriate things to do without breaking the bank doing it.

There are a whole bunch of people as you exit the pier trying to get you to go on tours, cab rides, horse drawn carriage rides, and other services. Can be very hectic. We just say no thanks and keep walking to get away from that area. Go to the right once you get to the street and follow it towards Senior Frogs. You can't miss it. The straw market will be on your left. Only a few blocks. Check out google earth and you will get an idea of where you are going. Also pictures on the map that you can click on to see the area better.

There is also a free beach not far past the Senior Frogs called Junkanoo for something cheap to do with the kids. Also a pirate museum near there too. Have never been there but I'm sure that you can search these boards or google that also.

Edited by bm6pm5

Just be prepared for what you will see at the 'Straw Market". If you are anticipating a whole market full of 'Made in Nassau' souvenirs, you will be sadly disappointed. There are literally 100 booths and just about everyone is selling the exact Made in China stuff. The prices are high, especially for this stuff and they simply pester you to no end. We walked in, walked down one aisle and headed out. Like many others, we were looking for something truly unique to the Bahamas and Nassau, and we found nothing here at all. It is literally, all, Made in China.

Cheers

Len

Giantfan13 you are exactly right they all sell the same stuff and it is crazy at how many of them come after you trying to get you to see their stuff..it's all the same...I hate the straw market in Nassau...I do however love the one in Freeport...same type of stuff but you can find some unique wares and it's not crammed in an enclosed space and they leave you alone....

• 4 weeks later...

As far as the shopping in freeport and Nassau were there plenty of handbags clutches etc? My wife always like to get one of those silly designer purses or wallet etc. Also I would like to find hopefully a good pharmacy for cold medicine not available in the states and possibly a discount on the rxes I have. Is that possible? I hadn't realized there was a straw market in both freeport and nassau, and I constantly get the two confused. The one I have been too multiple times will have the street vendors trying to sell Cuban cigars etc, and there was some excitibg wood workers who had sculpted some insane stuff. Not really my cup of tea but cool nonetheless.