Celebrity's passport validity requirement

el barato

Out of interest, do they not put the last 6 months onto your passport?

In the UK, when we renew our passport, we can have up to 9 months of our old one added onto the new one. So for example, I got a new passport when I got married. My old one still had 5 years on it (but I wanted to travel in my new name) so it was then valid for 10 years and 9 months.

If we book a holiday to Spain from the UK, we are always told we need 6 months left on it. I personally couldn't cope with the stress and would renew.

You will note on just about every invoice issued by travel agents AND by almost all cruise lines that it is the passenger's responsibility to make sure their travel documentation is current and all applicable visas are obtained prior to the trip, not the travel agent's responsibility.

What happens if the OP has an accident and ends up in the hospital for a week? You have to prepare for every possibility and to worry about wasting $14 on a $20,000 vacation is ridiculous.

Note I didn't say it was the agent's responsibility I said they should be offering (accurate and professional) advice. Of course its the passengers responsibility to take various sources of information and make up their own mind.

If you read the OP's first posting you will see that he was due to be flying home just short of 6 months from his passport expiry so even if God forbid he was in hospital for a month or two he would still be travelling with a perfectly valid passport.

In the UK, when we renew our passport, we can have up to 9 months of our old one added onto the new one. So for example, I got a new passport when I got married. My old one still had 5 years on it (but I wanted to travel in my new name) so it was then valid for 10 years and 9 months.

If we book a holiday to Spain from the UK, we are always told we need 6 months left on it. I personally couldn't cope with the stress and would renew.

I think they do - I also have my current passport being valid for a few extra months.

Interestingly enough the current regulations actually state that you may travel to Spain with a UK passport which is less than a year PAST ITS EXPIRY DATE! :eek:

For US folks this was put into place when the passport office had a meltdown a little while back when thousands of applications were held up I think by a staff shortage.

All I am saying is that the original question essentially was will I be ok because I don't want to do this now - I'm really busy with other stuff and I'd prefer to do it later. To which my answer was yes you will be fine. :rolleyes:

Edited by tomsafrica

Nope, that's not how it works in the US. I just renewed mine and despite it having 9 months left on it, the new one is valid for exactly 10 years.

(And in case anyone is wondering why I went ahead and renewed with 9 months remaining, I have a trip in July that will require a visa for one country, and the visa requirements include that my passport had to be good until late January, but it was due to expire in December. And with other international trips planned between now and then, I had to choose a window of non-travel in which I could be without my old passport.)

-----All of this for "wasting about 6-8 months on a passport that cost you under $20 per YEAR! Crazy idea. How much would it cost you if you cannot get off the ship in Europe?

In the UK we don't loose the months remaining, they are added on to the end of the new passport, so when you receive your new passport, it is valid for 10 yrs and 6 months.