Will you reduce DSC

By tipping do you mean paying the DSC or giving him or her cold hard cash? Do you think that there might be a reason that discussing gratuities is cause for termination? Every steward would prefer my $70 cash to your DSC. It is only logical.

I prepay my DSC and forget about it. And on top of that I bring extra money to tip my room stewards. I tip at the buffet. I tip for lunch. I tip for dinner either in the MDR or a specialty. And when I purchase a drink I tip extra on top of the mandatory 18%. When I do a spa service I tip extra for that. I'm not saying for folks to tip like me but I'm trying to implant that folks shouldn't remove or even reduce their DSC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prepay my DSC and forget about it. And on top of that I bring extra money to tip my room stewards. I tip at the buffet. I tip for lunch. I tip for dinner either in the MDR or a specialty. And when I purchase a drink I tip extra on top of the mandatory 18%. When I do a spa service I tip extra for that. I'm not saying for folks to tip like me but I'm trying to implant that folks shouldn't remove or even reduce their DSC!

You don't want to tell people what to do, you just want to tell them what to do? Choose one. Unless you are running for public office.

You don't want to tell people what to do, you just want to tell them what to do? Choose one. Unless you are running for public office.

I choose the side of the Hardworking Employees in the cruising industry that make your vacation special.

Notice that the DSC Defenders, when backed into a corner after hitting them with relentless logic, will always resort to, "B-b-b-b-but I don't believe you will actually pay those cash tips! You're lying!"

Why would we lie?

It's not like we are required to announce on Cruise Critic that we are reducing the DSC. If the goal was to surreptitiously stiff everyone of tips, we could just remove the DSC and never post a word about the subject here.

I think it's likely that those advocating reducing the DSC and giving more cash tips actually plan to do so.

I know I do.

Edited by pokerpro5

I choose the side of the Hardworking Employees in the cruising industry that make your vacation special.

So do I. I just don't belittle people and tell them what to do.

You state you don't believe people that claim to tip others in cash, but then you claim to tip people in cash. No one said they don't believe you. No one called you any names. And no one has told you what to do. The fact that you're on here badgering people and making these false analogies smells to me like a compensatory measure, but who am I to believe you or not?

Just a point of clarification among all the noise here.

I actually overlooked my skepticism of the DSC during my two NCL cruises and paid it in full.

But the turning point for me was the removal of the specialty restaurants from the DSC pool. That completely breaks the DSC concept, and I have changed my attitude about it from "skeptical but willing to go along with it" to "I have to adjust it to what I think is fair".

So do I. I just don't belittle people and tell them what to do.

You state you don't believe people that claim to tip others in cash, but then you claim to tip people in cash. No one said they don't believe you. No one called you any names. And no one has told you what to do. The fact that you're on here badgering people and making these false analogies smells to me like a compensatory measure, but who am I to believe you or not?

If u are going to give out advice about belittling, then U need to also follow your own advice. Maybe read back on some of your posts.

It's funny how many people defend those that reduce/remove DSC and some folks even Tell you how to do it when getting on board but the ones that defend the workers of the cruising industry is being bullied.

This will be my last post. I just WISH for all the NEW readers to cruise critic......please Don't remove or reduce DSC. The employees work truly hard to make your vacation wonderful.

It's funny how many people defend those that reduce/remove DSC and some folks even Tell you how to do it when getting on board but the ones that defend the workers of the cruising industry is being bullied.

This will be my last post. I just WISH for all the NEW readers to cruise critic......please Don't remove or reduce DSC. The employees work truly hard to make your vacation wonderful.

You are asserting that staff prefer the DSC to cash. I assert you are wrong. Most front line staff prefer cash. Period. I see no reason to let NCL take a cut of their gratuities. NCL is the only major line that refuses to offer customers an itemized break down of where the DSC goes. NCL is the only line that will terminate any employee who speaks to passengers about gratuities in any way. It is a shady deal and I won't participate. I am within my rights (the contract) to do so.

Funny how so many of the hard working crew commonly come and find me before I disembark to hug me and tell me to come back. Say whatever you want, anyone who bothers to observe and think critically will deduce that front line staff prefer cash to DSC. It is investors who prefer the DSC.

You do what you want. It is your money, your vacation and your choice. But to insinuate that those who tip cash are liars and don't care about staff is blowing smoke. Live and let live.

You are asserting that staff prefer the DSC to cash. I assert you are wrong. Most front line staff prefer cash. Period. I see no reason to let NCL take a cut of their gratuities. NCL is the only major line that refuses to offer customers an itemized break down of where the DSC goes. NCL is the only line that will terminate any employee who speaks to passengers about gratuities in any way. It is a shady deal and I won't participate. I am within my rights (the contract) to do so.

Funny how so many of the hard working crew commonly come and find me before I disembark to hug me and tell me to come back. Say whatever you want, anyone who bothers to observe and think critically will deduce that front line staff prefer cash to DSC. It is investors who prefer the DSC.

You do what you want. It is your money, your vacation and your choice. But to insinuate that those who tip cash are liars and don't care about staff is blowing smoke. Live and let live.

Cash is still king. That hasn't changed

We sailed on the Breakaway on 3/22 and after meeting and getting to know the staff, we ended up tipping above the DSC. Initially, I didn't think we would but the staff work so hard and are so very accommodating. In the end we decided that a few dollars would not break us and would mean more to them. But to each his own.

Thanks and I agree. I wouldn't consider reducing and am always happy to tip above and beyond with cash on the side. Also to folks who bus the tables in the buffet and those who I see sweeping the floors or cleaning the pool area etc. They do work very hard for their money and they so appreciate being recognized with not only some cash, but also a sincere thank you.

If I ever saw anything credible showing that NCL was indeed taking a cut of the service charges rather than passing it on to the crew in one form or another I would never set foot on another NCL ship.

Same here. Those folks work so very hard and provide a wonderful cruise experience. And with a smile and a helpful attitude. I like to tip them some cash and along with that, I say thank you for making things so nice for us.

If I ever saw anything credible showing that NCL was indeed taking a cut of the service charges rather than passing it on to the crew in one form or another I would never set foot on another NCL ship.

That's the whole of it isn't it? By NCL not being forthcoming about where that money goes, it leaves room for all sorts of speculation. If they did like every other cruise line does which is to itemize your tips, this would be moot.

"Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs."

Please note that the contract states all departments and job categories. IT mentions no exclusions, other than the term "certain" even though we often hear from NCL that there are exclusions. Managers and supervisors are included too! Crew welfare programs? NCL uses DSC to host staff parties and team building exercises.

Until NCL can be more transparent with where my gratuity money goes, I will pay the hard working staff who serve me directly. If NCL wants to to have incentive programs they can foot the bill. I get to decide who gets my tip money based on my service determinations, not NCL's. NCL and I have conflicting agendas about my needs. If they came out with a breakdown and stopped holding employee tips as "welfare programs" I would probably pay it. Until then, eliminating the middle man is how I see it.

That's the whole of it isn't it? By NCL not being forthcoming about where that money goes, it leaves room for all sorts of speculation. If they did like every other cruise line does which is to itemize your tips, this would be moot.

I don't particularly care which employee gets what, as long as they get their share. If they weren't getting their share then I seriously doubt that any of them would keep working for NCL contract after contract.

Jane Don said: "Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs."

Please note that the contract states all departments and job categories. IT mentions no exclusions, other than the term "certain" even though we often hear from NCL that there are exclusions. Managers and supervisors are included too! Crew welfare programs? NCL uses DSC to host staff parties and team building exercises.

Until NCL can be more transparent with where my gratuity money goes, I will pay the hard working staff who serve me directly. If NCL wants to to have incentive programs they can foot the bill. I get to decide who gets my tip money based on my service determinations, not NCL's. NCL and I have conflicting agendas about my needs. If they came out with a breakdown and stopped holding employee tips as "welfare programs" I would probably pay it. Until then, eliminating the middle man is how I see it.

Yes, I am aware of the contract language, that's why I said "in one form or another" ;). If NCL was playing fast and loose with the service charges I am sure that the crew wouldn't keep coming back for more and to me that is the best evidence that it's not happening.

jane don said: "service charges: Certain members of carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to carrier's evaluation of job performance. a portion of the service charge collected by carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs."

please note that the contract states all departments and job categories. It mentions no exclusions, other than the term "certain" even though we often hear from ncl that there are exclusions. Managers and supervisors are included too! Crew welfare programs? Ncl uses dsc to host staff parties and team building exercises.

Until ncl can be more transparent with where my gratuity money goes, i will pay the hard working staff who serve me directly. If ncl wants to to have incentive programs they can foot the bill. I get to decide who gets my tip money based on my service determinations, not ncl's. Ncl and i have conflicting agendas about my needs. If they came out with a breakdown and stopped holding employee tips as "welfare programs" i would probably pay it. Until then, eliminating the middle man is how i see it.

Yes, i am aware of the contract language, that's why i said "in one form or another" ;). If ncl was playing fast and loose with the service charges i am sure that the crew wouldn't keep coming back for more and to me that is the best evidence that it's not happening.

lol

Do you honestly believe all of these changes solely benefit the crew, and NCL doesn't pocket any of it?

Yes.

All of the above sounds great, until you really think about it.

The bottom line is that we are expected to give our "tips" to NCL to forward on to their employees. We are given no information what percentage of our tips actually make it to them, and what percentage is kept/spent by NCL in some way.

We have no way to adjust off the DSC to remove/reassign tips from major areas we don't use, such as the MDR when we dine exclusively at specialties.

If you really feel bad about the plight of the NCL crew, then walk around the ship and hand out cash tips to random crewmembers, as well as tip those who directly serve you. Hand a $10 bill to the guy you see painting the deck. Hand a $20 to the guy cleaning the bathroom. Hand a $5 to the washy-washy person.

I can respect that, because I know that these tips are directly entering the hands of those they are intended.

But NCL wants us to just hand them a lump sum of money, and hope that it really makes it where it should. I'm already uneasy that they are spending some of our tips on "team building" exercises. That should not be happening.

I am also not convinced that workers are actually penalized when we adjust off the DSC. It's very possible that NCL covers the difference, and has already set a constant wage for their workers, using the DSC to simply reimburse themselves.

Bottom line is that if you want to give charity to NCL workers, that's great. Just don't do it via the DSC.

I am cooperating to some extent with the DSC. I have 3 in my party. I am paying the DSC for two, and I am opting out of the other to hand out in cash tips where I see fit. I'm not eating in the MDR, so I feel this is fair. And I know that 100% of my cash tips won't end up in "team building" or NCL's bank account, which is the best feeling of all.

I'm really confused by your posts.

When you buy a new car, do you insist on a factory tour to ensure that the person who tightened the bolts on YOUR vehicle is properly compensated? The people in the paint shop? The Sales Manager, the Sales Rep? The marketing person?

I'd wager that you don't. You're probably (like most people) comfortable with the concept that the employer has successfully negotiated with their employees such that they are adequately and competitively compensated. It may even be that some portion of the vehicle purchase price funds the annual company picnic and staff Christmas Party, and maybe even subsidizes the cafeteria so that employees get nutritious food at a reasonable price.

Why do you feel that NCL is incapable of this?

Stephen

Yes.

When you buy a new car, do you insist on a factory tour to ensure that the person who tightened the bolts on YOUR vehicle is properly compensated? The people in the paint shop? The Sales Manager, the Sales Rep? The marketing person?

I'd wager that you don't. You're probably (like most people) comfortable with the concept that the employer has successfully negotiated with their employees such that they are adequately and competitively compensated. It may even be that some portion of the vehicle purchase price funds the annual company picnic and staff Christmas Party, and maybe even subsidizes the cafeteria so that employees get nutritious food at a reasonable price.

Stephen

I was just going to post the exact same thing lol

Yes.

Stephen

When I buy a new car, a fee is NOT added to compensate employees who went above and beyond. Employee wages are included in the price of the car. Another disingenuous analogy.

And people have doubt because unlike other lines, NCL will not provide any information on how the DSC is distributed. Who gets what? Does management get a cut? What percentage is not directly distributed to staff? Why can't staff discuss this with us? These are all questions I want answered before I trust NCL.

Edited by Jane Don
Additional comment