Pre-cruise hotel in Boston

wyofuncrusier

Hi all

My wife, stepson, and I will be cruising out Boston on October 4, 2015. I am looking for suggestions for a pre-cruise hotel. We will be getting in at 7:30, so we will really won't have too much time to sight see and plus we plan on doing that for a few days after the cruise. We have been looking at Seaport or the Residence Inn Boston Seaport. I am correct we ride can the subway to a station just a block or two from these hotels for little or nothing (of course I know you have to deal the luggage). Just wondering what everyone things about these hotels. Also wondering about some of the hotels near the airport, as well.

Thanks

wyofuncruiser

What's your budget? Are you willing to spend the money on these two hotels?

I'm not really keen on the airport hotels. They are primarily located northeast of the airport in less desirable areas. However, the hotels on the airport property like the Hilton and Hyatt are very nice.

All the four Waterfront area hotels are 4* and very nice. The Seaport is closest to the Silver Line. Hotwire is showing a 4* hotel on Oct 3 in the Waterfront area with a 100% approval rating for $254 plus taxes and fees (about $310 total). This is highly likely to be the Westin Waterfront, but it could be one of the other hotels like the Seaport.

The Silver Line is free from the airport. You can pick it up at any terminal on the lower level near baggage claim. Get on the rear door for easier access with luggage and ride to World Trade Center for the Westin, Seaport, or Renaissance, and the Courthouse for Residence Inn.

The Hotwire choice comes close. Since you're getting in so late, you might want to consider the Best Western Adams in Quincy which offers an airport shuttle and a Cruiseport shuttle in the $200 range. They have an AAA rate and offer a prepaid rate as well. It's about 5 miles from the airport in Quincy.

Call the Best Western directly to find out what shuttle times are available before you book. Otherwise, you may have to pay about $30 fir a cab to the port.

Just booked the BW Adams on hotels.com for $169 base price. It has everything we need...free shuttle from the airport, free shuttle to the cruise port, free breakfast and, since we plan to buy liquid toiletries after our flight to Boston, a CVS and a Walgreens within walking distance. Thank you for this recommendation!

Just booked the BW Adams on hotels.com for $169 base price. It has everything we need...free shuttle from the airport, free shuttle to the cruise port, free breakfast and, since we plan to buy liquid toiletries after our flight to Boston, a CVS and a Walgreens within walking distance. Thank you for this recommendation!

Be sure to call them and book a shuttle time for your date.

There was a discussion on this forum a while ago about how close the stores are to the Best Western and if I remember correctly the consensus was a 15-20 minute walk across a big bridge. Could someone who knows the neighborhood comment on the location of drug stores and/or markets again?

Somebody recently complained that the only shuttle time available for them was 2 PM which was too close for a 4 pm sail time. They are going to take a cab which is an extra $30.

The only thing I can say is to try calling back to get a different person and a different answer. I just wanted to alert you to a recent issue that came up on this forum about the Cruiseport shuttle.

For such a long cruise this hotel is the only place folks can get 14 days parking and pay $5 per day to leave their cars for the extra days, so it's a good deal for anyone driving to the port.

Thanks to all who replied. I am finding the Best Western for around $20. While this is a great rate, I have heard a few bad comments (some about the shuttle) about this hotel, so I am not just jumping on the deal. In any event I also am finding a 5* hotel in the Fanueil Hall - North End - Waterfront area for just over $300 (would less with my a coupon code I have) on Hotwire. Just trying to figure what hotel it might be, but it is not listed at betterbidding.com. Also not sure about this area.

Thanks to all who replied. I am finding the Best Western for around $20. While this is a great rate, I have heard a few bad comments (some about the shuttle) about this hotel, so I am not just jumping on the deal. In any event I also am finding a 5* hotel in the Fanueil Hall - North End - Waterfront area for just over $300 (would less with my a coupon code I have) on Hotwire. Just trying to figure what hotel it might be, but it is not listed at betterbidding.com. Also not sure about this area.

138 East will probably know the hotel but the location is in the city and will be convenient to the sights

Edited by Traveling Library

I can't be sure either what hotel this might be. There aren't many 5* hotels in this area. I'm thinking it could be the Battery Wharf.

Whatever hotel it is, it will be very nice. You're getting in late, so you can wander around in the morning - no real reason to be on board first to sit on the ship all afternoon. This area has Little Italy - the heart of Old Boston and the home of Old North Church and the Paul Revere House. It also has Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market.

What makes you unsure about the area? I don't know what your post cruise plans are or where you are staying, but the North End could be an area that you don't devote a lot of time to. It's a place that's best seen by walking because the streets are so narrow - the trolleys and tour buses can't do it justice.

Somebody recently complained that the only shuttle time available for them was 2 PM which was too close for a 4 pm sail time. They are going to take a cab which is an extra $30.

The only thing I can say is to try calling back to get a different person and a different answer. I just wanted to alert you to a recent issue that came up on this forum about the Cruiseport shuttle.

For such a long cruise this hotel is the only place folks can get 14 days parking and pay $5 per day to leave their cars for the extra days, so it's a good deal for anyone driving to the port.

That was me, I called to confirm my reservation and I was told by a woman who answered the phone that they only go to the cruiseport every 2 hours and the 10 & 12 shuttles were full. I'm still pretty annoyed that their shuttles are full. ill check again when i check into the hotel

That was me, I called to confirm my reservation and I was told by a woman who answered the phone that they only go to the cruiseport every 2 hours and the 10 & 12 shuttles were full. I'm still pretty annoyed that their shuttles are full. ill check again when i check into the hotel

Ok - sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. You called a month out and were told the shuttles are full. The OP called and was told shuttle reservations couldn't be made until they checked in. Catch-22.

IMO hotel shuttles to the pier may be great in Florida, but they don't seem to work so well here in the northeast in Boston and Newark. It's a PITA for the hotel to coordinate and definitely not a profit center.

Ok - sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. You called a month out and were told the shuttles are full. The OP called and was told shuttle reservations couldn't be made until they checked in. Catch-22.

IMO hotel shuttles to the pier may be great in Florida, but they don't seem to work so well here in the northeast in Boston and Newark. It's a PITA for the hotel to coordinate and definitely not a profit center.

I never had a problem the other two times Ive stayed there, maybe it will all work out and they will take us, it sounds like their priority is the airport and not the cruise ship traveler?

We, too, were told the 10 and 12 shuttles were full. We are concerned the 2 pm will not get us to the ship on time. The hotel suggested we could go at 8 am. We're wondering if there will be any porters, etc there that early?

I live within 5 min drive (if that) of the BW Adams Inn... Taxi to the port is generally $30- $40 (if that).

ETA: we had a block of rooms there for our wedding and the people that stayed there liked it. Not a 5* hotel... But clean and comfortable.

Edited by welove2cruise2014

I certainly cannot promise but it is possible that hotel is the Omni Parker House. It is an older hotel which has had renovations and the rooms are not all cookie cutter. IF that is the hotel and IF you book it, be sure to be specific with them about room type you want.

Lots of cruisers stay there and perhaps a search here on CC may turn up some comments from other cruisers.