NCL adds weddings at sea, tests expanded room service/order fee, drops Asian cover

InTheWASide

I know PARTS of this may duplicate other threads, but I feel some parts of this are new as well. This is all info from Andy Stuart from today's webinar

Norwegian Cruise Line is now offering legally recognized weddings at sea on two ships—soon to be three, is testing an expanded room service menu that carries an order charge and is making its Asian restaurants/noodle bars complimentary.

A wedding at sea package is available on the New York-based Norwegian Breakaway and the Miami-based Norwegian Getaway, and will be offered on Norwegian Escape when it begins year-round service from Miami late this year.

The ceremony is performed by the ship's captain, and the package includes a bouquet and boutonniere, a Champagne toast, a wedding cake and the services of a wedding coordinator.

Until now, the line has offered only destination weddings. Norwegian will continue to provide those, along with vow renewal packages. Also, same-sex destination weddings are available where recognized by law, including at port in Boston, Hawaii, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, Vancouver, Tampa, Miami and Port Canaveral.

Norwegian is also testing expanded room service offerings and a per order room service fee, on two ships.

This includes an expanded breakfast selection—the addition of eggs cooked to order, sides like breakfast potato/grilled tomato and hot cereals like oatmeal and Cream of Wheat—and more choices on the 24-hour room service menu.

There's no charge per item, but a per order (not per person) fee of $7.95 is being tested on Norwegian Breakaway and of $4.95 on Norwegian Getaway. That fee is waived in The Haven accommodations.

Following the enthusiastic response to the previous $15 cover charge being waived for the Asian fusion restaurant Ginza on Norwegian Star, the line has decided to make the Asian restaurants and noodle bars complimentary on 11 ships by mid-April.

This includes venues like Norwegian Gem's Orchid Garden, Norwegian Pearl's Lotus Garden, Norwegian Epic's Shanghai's Chinese Restaurant/Shanghai's Noodle Bar and Pride of America's East Meets West, as some examples. (The dining charge waiver doesn't apply to Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun.)

All the news was announced by Norwegian president and chief operating officer Andy Stuart during Tuesday's travel agent webinar.

Thanks for posting this. It's a concise explanation of how the Norwegian product is evolving. All good for me as I don't order room service but I will now eat in the Asian restaurants.

I'm just the opposite.....give me back my free room service, and keep the charge for the Asian restaurants.

.......Norwegian Cruise Line is now offering legally recognized weddings at sea...The ceremony is performed by the ship's captain...

Okay, not laughing anymore...this seriously takes the wedding cake for me...:eek:

I know PARTS of this may duplicate other threads, but I feel some parts of this are new as well. This is all info from Andy Stuart from today's webinar

Norwegian Cruise Line is now offering legally recognized weddings at sea on two ships—soon to be three, is testing an expanded room service menu that carries an order charge and is making its Asian restaurants/noodle bars complimentary.

A wedding at sea package is available on the New York-based Norwegian Breakaway and the Miami-based Norwegian Getaway, and will be offered on Norwegian Escape when it begins year-round service from Miami late this year.

The ceremony is performed by the ship's captain, and the package includes a bouquet and boutonniere, a Champagne toast, a wedding cake and the services of a wedding coordinator.

Until now, the line has offered only destination weddings. Norwegian will continue to provide those, along with vow renewal packages. Also, same-sex destination weddings are available where recognized by law, including at port in Boston, Hawaii, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, Vancouver, Tampa, Miami and Port Canaveral.

Norwegian is also testing expanded room service offerings and a per order room service fee, on two ships.

This includes an expanded breakfast selection—the addition of eggs cooked to order, sides like breakfast potato/grilled tomato and hot cereals like oatmeal and Cream of Wheat—and more choices on the 24-hour room service menu.

There's no charge per item, but a per order (not per person) fee of $7.95 is being tested on Norwegian Breakaway and of $4.95 on Norwegian Getaway. That fee is waived in The Haven accommodations.

Following the enthusiastic response to the previous $15 cover charge being waived for the Asian fusion restaurant Ginza on Norwegian Star, the line has decided to make the Asian restaurants and noodle bars complimentary on 11 ships by mid-April.

This includes venues like Norwegian Gem's Orchid Garden, Norwegian Pearl's Lotus Garden, Norwegian Epic's Shanghai's Chinese Restaurant/Shanghai's Noodle Bar and Pride of America's East Meets West, as some examples. (The dining charge waiver doesn't apply to Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun.)

All the news was announced by Norwegian president and chief operating officer Andy Stuart during Tuesday's travel agent webinar.

I could care less about being married at sea (can't wait to see the fees for that though).

Wow I can get eggs at a diner price, just what I wanted on vacay

Explain the price difference of $3.00 convenience charges between the same exact ship (4th request to that question)

Never been on the Star, could care less since Chinese food is the cheapest take out you can get land based......whoooppppppeeeeee to that.

Edited by iimmie

I love the Noodle and Sushi Bar on the Breakaway, glad to see at least one of them is free now - I care more about that than the room service charges. At least something free came out of this whole mess.

Edited by maywell

I'd like to know which ships Shanghai's will be complimentary on (not familiar with which ships it's on). If the Breakaway is one of them, my boyfriend and I will probably eat there even more than we did last year. In fact, I may not be able to drag him away from the place. I'm waiting to pass judgment on the room service debacle (except how they went about introducing its "test run," NCL can go sit on a cactus for that). Don't mind the increase to 18% on drink gratuities or the increase in drink prices, since I don't drink much, and I'm not really bothered by the not-quite-a-dollar/day increase to the DSC or switching gratuity for specialty dining to when you pay for that (buying UDP or when you go to one).

Really, the only thing that bugs me, personally, is how they're going about introducing things. All at once, springing it on cruisers the way they have been is worthy of a seat on a cactus in my book. Should have been gradual, alerting people well-ahead of time and not in a clump. That's just general courtesy to keep a strong fan-base.

I personally like these changes. The room service free items are still available, as per other posts,but now, if you WANT, you have the choice of an expanded menu, for a small fee. If you don't want it, don't order the for fee items. They are not taking anything away, just adding options. I personally think that is great.

And, I too am happy about the Asian restaurants now being free. Maybe it is the cheapest land based food, but many people, including my family, like Asian food and it is nice that it is a now free on the NCL ships.

What am I missing? I do not understand what everyone is freaking out about?!

For what it's worth, did anyone notice that Breakaway and Getaway were NOT included when they were talking about taking the charge away for the Asian restaurants/noodle bars. They said they were taking the charge away on 11 ships. I believe there are 13 ships total. So I would not get your hopes up that there is no charge on Getaway and Breakaway.

I love Asian food so East meets West has just been added to my list of places to eat. As food is included in the fare I was not going to pay for specialty dining (exception of Teppenyaki as I have never been).

I personally like these changes. The room service free items are still available, as per other posts,but now, if you WANT, you have the choice of an expanded menu, for a small fee. If you don't want it, don't order the for fee items. They are not taking anything away, just adding options. I personally think that is great.
That would be great, but it doesn't sound like that is what is happening. They are not charging you for any of the individual menu items (i.e. you can order as much as you want), but the entire order has a delivery charge no matter what you order. On the two ships currently being tested, there is no way to get anything from room service without incurring the "convenience charge".

That would be great, but it doesn't sound like that is what is happening. They are not charging you for any of the individual menu items (i.e. you can order as much as you want), but the entire order has a delivery charge no matter what you order. On the two ships currently being tested, there is no way to get anything from room service without incurring the "convenience charge".

Oh, ok, maybe I misunderstood. I thought you could still order the original free items, for free.

For what it's worth, did anyone notice that Breakaway and Getaway were NOT included when they were talking about taking the charge away for the Asian restaurants/noodle bars. They said they were taking the charge away on 11 ships. I believe there are 13 ships total. So I would not get your hopes up that there is no charge on Getaway and Breakaway.

There is NO CHARGE for the noodle bar on Breakaway and Getaway, per the webinar today.

The list on the webinar was this:

Gem - Orchid Garden

Pearl - Lotus Garden

Jewel - Chin Chin

Jade - Jasmine Garden

Dawn - Bamboo

Star - Ginza

Spirit - Shogun

Pride of America - East Meets West

Epic - Shanghai

Breakaway - Noodle Bar Menu

Getaway - Noodle Bar Menu

Edited by youngestof9

And, I too am happy about the Asian restaurants now being free. Maybe it is the cheapest land based food, but many people, including my family, like Asian food and it is nice that it is a now free on the NCL ships.

What am I missing? I do not understand what everyone is freaking out about?!

What your missing is that the food is free but there will be a $7.95 delivery fee. Doesn't matter if you order just a pot of coffee or order the entire menu. Its still $7.95. For our convenience....of course.

Edited by janpo

There is NO CHARGE for the noodle bar on Breakaway and Getaway, per the webinar today.

The list on the webinar was this:

Gem - Orchid Garden

Pearl - Lotus Garden

Jewel - Chin Chin

Jade - Jasmine Garden

Dawn - Bamboo

Star - Ginza

Spirit - Shogun

Pride of America - East Meets West

Epic - Shanghai

Breakaway - Noodle Bar Menu

Getaway - Noodle Bar Menu

AH! Yes! Thank you for this. My dearly beloved boyfriend would probably be a lot more excited at this news if he wasn't sick right now. Very glad they have done *something* really awesome. We will both be enjoying Shanghai's on the Breakaway multiple times in September.

AH! Yes! Thank you for this. My dearly beloved boyfriend would probably be a lot more excited at this news if he wasn't sick right now. Very glad they have done *something* really awesome. We will both be enjoying Shanghai's on the Breakaway multiple times in September.

Same for me for my 2 week trip on the Breakaway. :D

It said in the piece that Sun and Sky still have the charge

So 13 ships currently sailing in the fleet (as Escape is not yet), minus those 2 = 11

How about those ships that do not have The Haven. Will Owners Suites and Penthouse Suites still get free room service?

I'd like to know which ships Shanghai's will be complimentary on (not familiar with which ships it's on). If the Breakaway is one of them, my boyfriend and I will probably eat there even more than we did last year. In fact, I may not be able to drag him away from the place. I'm waiting to pass judgment on the room service debacle (except how they went about introducing its "test run," NCL can go sit on a cactus for that). Don't mind the increase to 18% on drink gratuities or the increase in drink prices, since I don't drink much, and I'm not really bothered by the not-quite-a-dollar/day increase to the DSC or switching gratuity for specialty dining to when you pay for that (buying UDP or when you go to one).

Really, the only thing that bugs me, personally, is how they're going about introducing things. All at once, springing it on cruisers the way they have been is worthy of a seat on a cactus in my book. Should have been gradual, alerting people well-ahead of time and not in a clump. That's just general courtesy to keep a strong fan-base.

Yes. It's the *WAY* they announced all of this.

NCL barely upped the DSC, and then with no advance notice, they added a "convenience fee" for room service.

(Yup, the food is free. So if you don't actually want it delivered, then there's no charge!)

NCL should have done something like announce this change to take effect on some future date, far enough in advance so no one would have any penalty to cancel.

Surely they could have waited a couple of months...:confused:

GeezerCouple

Yes. It's the *WAY* they announced all of this.

NCL barely upped the DSC, and then with no advance notice, they added a "convenience fee" for room service.

(Yup, the food is free. So if you don't actually want it delivered, then there's no charge!)

NCL should have done something like announce this change to take effect on some future date, far enough in advance so no one would have any penalty to cancel.

Surely they could have waited a couple of months...:confused:

GeezerCouple

Andy did actually accept the blame and apologize for not making an announcement about the service charge test on BA/GA for the room service.

I didn't hear him say why the different charges on each ship. My best guess is to see which one produces least food waste and brings the most money to the bottom line. Once the accountants figure that out, it will be time I am sure to roll it out across the fleet.

Heck the whole late night charge on most cruise lines for room service was adopted in an effort to cut down on food waste. (even outside the financial impact for the cruise line, I am not one who likes to see lots of food wasted because there are so many who don't know where their next meal comes from every day.)

It said in the piece that Sun and Sky still have the charge

So 13 ships currently sailing in the fleet (as Escape is not yet), minus those 2 = 11

My mistake. I figured that since Getaway and Breakaway were getting stuck with the room service fee, that they wouldn't be included in this either. Thanks for the clarification.

Some people have a penalty for cancellation no matter how far in advance they do it (e.g. if they go through certain TAs, or if they book through NCL UK, etc.) And the cancellation penalty period for some stateroom categories starts 120 days out. I don't think they need to announce things like this 4 months in advance. Of course it gives some people an easy complaint "I'm locked into this cruise and I can't cancel" but realistically, of all the people who could cancel now without penalty, how many have actually done so in protest over the recent changes?

The problem is that most of the recent price hikes were introduced with no prior notice at all. Compared to that, even one or two weeks advance warning would be a huge improvement.