Liquor for Cabin

ernieb

My DW and I will be sailing on the Royal on Sept. 21 for 20 days. We have previously sailed HAL for quite a few years. I have been trying to determine what scotch I might purchase from Princess for our cabin and I must say that I am highly disappointed in what I have found so far. It appears that the only brands available are Dewars (white) and Johnny Walker red. I prefer a much better brand than that. Not only are the brands disapointing, but it also appears they are only available in a 350 ml size. This seems rediculous. Perhaps I just don't know where to find a better selection?.?

Nope. Cutty Sark and Johnny Walker Red are the only (gak!) scotch available for in-room purchase and only in 375ml size. It's a truly HORRIBLE selection of scotch.

Is it any wonder some people choose to try to smuggle decent scotch onboard? You can purchase Glenfiddich 12 and Glenlivet 12, and maybe a couple of others in the bars but you can't get anything that most scotch drinkers would consider drinkable for consumption in your cabin.

I really don't know how valid what I'm about to tell you is considering when calling and talking to a rep from Princess, sometimes they give out misinformation. That being said. I called them and asked this very question because both my husband and I drink Glenlivet. They told me that once we boarded we could go to a bar and order a bottle from the bar and they would have it sent to our cabin. We found the lack of a good scotch rather disappointing to say the least and that's why I called Princess. I hope this helps and we'll find out in May whether what they said can or cannot be done. Good luck!

I really don't know how valid what I'm about to tell you is considering when calling and talking to a rep from Princess, sometimes they give out misinformation. That being said. I called them and asked this very question because both my husband and I drink Glenlivet. They told me that once we boarded we could go to a bar and order a bottle from the bar and they would have it sent to our cabin. We found the lack of a good scotch rather disappointing to say the least and that's why I called Princess. I hope this helps and we'll find out in May whether what they said can or cannot be done. Good luck!

You will be sadly disappointed!

Hello lake. Assuming that works, it is encouraging. I did think of this while reading a thread about Happy Hour where people mentioned buying multiple botles or cans of beer at the 2 for one price. My devious mind wondered if we might be able to pay for half a bottle during happy hour and get the whole bottle for our cabin.

I'm glad you are cruising in May. Please let us know if and how this worked out for you.

Thanks.

I strongly doubt that the information you received was correct. However, if they did allow you to purchase a bottle you would probably be charged for the 16 individual pours the bar would get from selling drinks one at a time. According to the Princess Beverage Package Evaluator (spreadsheet available elsewhere in these threads) Glenlivet sells for $8.95 per drink. The spreadsheet says that the pricing it shows does not include the 15% gratuity so, adding that in, each pour would actually cost $10.29. Multiply that by the 16 pours Princess would likely get from the bottle and you end up with a 750ml bottle of Glenlivet for "only" $164.64.

Would you really want to pay that much?

Since you'll be doing a B2B cruise stopping in St Thomas on the first leg, purchase what you'd like. If they don't collect it when your board (chances are they won't) they'll deliver it to your cabin before the next cruise & at least you'll have it for the second leg.;)

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

We were able to purchase bottles of wine at Crooners when on the Sapphire. (One at a time). We would go just before dinner and get a glass to take with us. We paid per bottle, not per glass.

In the evening, we would once again go to Crooners and get another glass of wine and take back to our cabin to enjoy on the balcony.:) Our server at Crooners was great. It was always chilled and waiting for us. We did a 14 day cruise to Alaska.

I don't know if you could do this with liquor. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.;)

Might be more trouble than it's worth but you could go to happy hour and get two scotches, neat, for the price of one and take them to your room. Do this a couple of times, pour it in a container of some sort and have a drink in your room when you want.