Have the "new" menus been posted anywhere

flagger

Millennium had new menus, items & presentation (single sheet with a padded backing, truly like a fancy restaurant; dessert menus were separate, heavy paper with a cord in the spine sort of like the Cova Cafe menus), last December. I was surprised, then, to see the same old stuff (items & presentation -- the heavy paper with an orchid on the front) on Mercury last month; asked head chef Laurent Trias about it at the culinary demo Q&A, he said Millennium gets new stuff before much of the rest of the fleet, and he did not at that time have any info on implementation on Mercury FWIW.

What about others who've sailed recently? Did you get the padded-backing menus on any other ships? -- TR

Just off the Infinity last week and it was still the old menu with the Orchid and all paper. Was really impressed with the Millenium one in December so I was surprised to see this paper one. Now it makes sense since only the Millie has the new one. (I couldn't remember the food differences, but I know I didn't have turkey dinner on the Millie) I'll be on the Constellation in less than two months so I can report back on that as well, but I think now I'm expecting the old menu!

Not on the Infinity two weeks ago. There were changes that I noted here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=228334

but the dining room menu was the same as on the Constellation last year. Maybe with the coming of the New Year...?

(Hey Marjorie, stop chasing me around! :D You have mail....)

Andrew

We were on Millie in May, and yes there were two separate menus. Had not thought about it until I read this thread.

The alternative restaurant also offers a wine incluided with each course as well as the previous meal selection. I think that it was 25-30 additional. We decided not to eat there since we had selected it for the night in Venice and decided that we would not do it so that we could say goodbye to various friends in the dining room. We were in Venice for four days so missing that one night was no big issue.

Yes it was Ben Stein. I saw the current menus posted but now that thread kills my browser. We want to pick the night for the SS United States since we can now do that shoreside. Ms. Flagger's biggest complaint was the night we went had the best food. We might just go the second formal night since the food was not all that special, the lobster was tough and the baked alaska was well ick. You would think at the captain's table the food would have been the best, but only the service was better.

• 2 weeks later...

It was Ben Stein, from Win Ben Stein's Money. Also the clear eyes commercials.

He was a speech writer for Carter or something back in the day. His son went to a boarding school in Vermont, and while I was at Dartmouth he was known to show up on occasion because Hanover, NH has the only 5 star hotel in a many many mile radius . . .

flagger, I can't answer your question, but your quote made me smile.:) I think the guy saying that was an airline announcer in "Trains, Planes and Automobiles" too. His style and delivery were exactly the same.

Now back to our regular programming..........

Phil

Another Ben Stein trivia - he was a visiting law professor at my school - Pepperdine Univ. School of Law in Malibu - he taught a securities class in 92 or 93. He's wonderful/super intelligent/well rounded person and used to sit in the cafeteria and have lunch with the students all the time.

Archived