What airport for a cruise out of Galveston?

kelbell

It's not a ridiculous question. There are two airports, Bush and Hobby. Hobby is the closest but is also the smaller one and has limited airline choices. I believe Southwest is the only major airline utilizing Hobby.

Bush is about 1.5 hours away from the cruise terminal but is much larger and has many flight opportunities. The only difference on the ground is about a half hour to 45 minutes of extra driving each way.

Morning, we have never flown into Texas, and I am looking at

a cruise out of Galveston. What airport should we fly into? And if that

is just a ridiculous question I apologize:o

Thank you.

The shorter travel to the port of Galveston will be from HOU (Hobby) Airport, which is about a 45+/- minute drive.

The further drive is from IAH (Bush Intercontinental) Airport, which would take approximately 1 - 1/2 hour.

Happy Cruising!

I agree with everyone , if possible fly to Hobby, give yourself plenty of extra time to get to port, last year there was a accident on the one bridge to Galveston and what normally takes 40 mins took 2 1/2 hours , I like staying at hotel in Galveston the night before the cruise.

We are choosing to fly into Hobby on Southwest because we can leave from our smaller, local airport vs driving all the way to LAX. We will be staying at a hotel near the airport and driving to Galveston the next morning because hotels are cheaper in Houston (as a whole).

• 1 month later...

If you decide to stay overnight before the cruise, you can stay in Texas city or even Kemah. Straight shot to Galveston up i45 south. Although we live in Houston we have spent the night closer like in Galveston. We live in Nw Houston and it takes about 1.5 hours to get on the road and get to Galveston. Depending on what day you leave traffic leaving Houston can be hectic at tines although you are going against any rush hour traffic.

It's not a ridiculous question. There are two airports, Bush and Hobby. Hobby is the closest but is also the smaller one and has limited airline choices. I believe Southwest is the only major airline utilizing Hobby.

Bush is about 1.5 hours away from the cruise terminal but is much larger and has many flight opportunities. The only difference on the ground is about a half hour to 45 minutes of extra driving each way.

Delta has flights into Hobby.:)

I'm also considering a cruise out of Galveston. But i guess we would have to rent a car from the airport? I hate doing that. But it's not close enough to get a cab. We always go the day before, but in Florida, where the airport and port are nearby.

I'm also considering a cruise out of Galveston. But i guess we would have to rent a car from the airport? I hate doing that. But it's not close enough to get a cab. We always go the day before, but in Florida, where the airport and port are nearby.

There are other options. You can hire a private shuttle or take a public shuttle like Galveston Express. Either option is probably cheaper than hiring a cab or limousine.

There are other options. You can hire a private shuttle or take a public shuttle like Galveston Express. Either option is probably cheaper than hiring a cab or limousine.

you can not return a rental car in Galveston, closet place to return a rental I believe is Texas City and the rental companies charge $50 to transfer to the port. Galveston is a very expensive port to get to from the airports