Carnival Elation--Sept 24, '15--Hubby worried about weather

denisewht11

Hi all,

So my husband and I are taking our first cruise together this September for our anniversary on the Carnival Elation out of New Orleans. He decided to surprise but then started reading.......

I have only been on one other cruise and that was in the winter time, long ago. :)

The hubby is concerned that September is still "hurricane season" and perhaps he should have booked it for next Spring. Has anyone else ever cruised during the fall? Is he overreacting?

Has anyone else ever cruised on the Carnival Elation and what did you think? He got us a room on the lowest deck (cheapest price, of course) and I'm considering calling and seeing about upgrading to surprise him but wasn't sure if it's worth the extra money or not.

Still looking forward to the trip but trying to console a nervous Nellie.

Happy Cruising Everyone!!

Denise

The cruise lines will not sail their ships into storms--especially a hurricane. If your cruise has already sailed when a storm or hurricane comes by, they will sail way around it. You can worry about the weather all you want to but, in the end, you can't do much about it.

Elation is one of the Fantasy class of ships. It is small enough for you to quickly learn your way around the ship, but large enough to provide a really great cruise experience.

Remember, it's a fun ship--so go have some fun! Bon Voyage!

Hi all,

So my husband and I are taking our first cruise together this September for our anniversary on the Carnival Elation out of New Orleans. He decided to surprise but then started reading.......

I have only been on one other cruise and that was in the winter time, long ago. :)

The hubby is concerned that September is still "hurricane season" and perhaps he should have booked it for next Spring. Has anyone else ever cruised during the fall? Is he overreacting?

Has anyone else ever cruised on the Carnival Elation and what did you think? He got us a room on the lowest deck (cheapest price, of course) and I'm considering calling and seeing about upgrading to surprise him but wasn't sure if it's worth the extra money or not.

Denise

Hi,

I don't think he is overreacting but I wouldn't fret about it. The ship will NEVER sail into a storm. If necessary, the Captain will deviate the itinerary in order to keep all guests, crew, and the ship safe.

Yes, I have sailed the Elation several times. I would not get anything other then an Ocean View on this ship.

All but one of my cruises were in the fall. We love the fall and have never experienced bad weather. Don't worry the captain will steer clear of any dangerous situations. Hope you have a great time!

Edited by Cinders411

Hi all,

Denise

We've sailed during hurricane season a few times. (Eight to be exact. :D) Only once were we affected by a storm. We were supposed to sail to Cozumel then Key West. We found out at the port that we were diverted to Key West and Nassau. We had beautiful weather at both ports. Our last sea day was a bust, though, as it poured all day long. But we came home with great stories.

No one can predict what will happen in five months from now. Worrying about it does no good.

That said, I would not hesitate to book again during hurricane season, which, btw, runs from June 1 to November 30.

The trade-off for sailing in the fall is worth it - warm ocean temps from the summer currents and jet streams.

Edited by stargate fan

Almost all of our cruises have been during hurricane season and the effect it has ever had on us was a change in the ports we called on . We like this time of year the best as there are way fewer kids on the ship.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Pretty sure all but one of our cruises are technically during hurricane season. We cruise in September frequently and have had only one day of rough seas - back in 2010 when we were supposed to go to Bermuda, but re-routed to Nassau due to a hurricane. The rest of the cruise was fine, but terrible undertow in Nassau, so no water time for us, only beach time. I wouldn't worry about it. My next cruise is in September this year.