Carnival a disappointment ( 3-29 on the Magic )

We are currently on board the Carnival Magic and it's 8:10 am. We've been sitting just off the port at Roatan where we were SUPPOSED to dock at 8. All 3000+ passengers are walking around wondering whats going on and flooding customer service asking for an update. Customer service says, 'Yes we are docking but we don't know when. We will make a general announcement'. It would be SO SIMPLE, for an announcement to be made stating we are waiting for this or that to happen and then we will dock. Instead, Carnival is letting all of us just wonder, we can't plan our day, we don't know what to expect or when to expect it. It's just irresponsible, inconsiderate and bad service to leave us all in the dark when a simple update announcement would alleviate the issue. Update, we just heard we are not going ashore due to weather. Which is VERY odd because the weather is fine. Honestly, Carnival has been a disappointment around every corner. Line after line to do anything and everything. Calls to Guest Services or House Keeping go unanswered. Food in the Lido Marketplace Buffet is marginal at best. Tendering in Belize was disaster with lines several hundred people long. Misleading shore excursions with excursion operators who are unprepared and deliver a poor experience. The list goes on. If you've cruised Royal or Celebrity, then Carnival will be a disappointment for you.

Here we go again. There's more to weather than how sunny the skies are. Undercurrents, winds and other factors play a huge part in the decision to dock or not, specially at a port like Roatan. Keeping the ship and passengers safe and away from dangerous situations is the number one priority, NOT forcing a multi million dollar ship to dock in unsafe conditions just so that you can have a margarita at Mahogany Beach.

About not making announcements constantly: chill out. Sometimes there's nothing to announce simply because they are still figuring things out and options are still being evaluated. Captains usually prefer to refrain from making announcements until they actually have something to report.

Enjoy your SAFE day at sea and your port tax refund.

Edited by Tapi

The weather may look fine but there are many other things such as the wind and surf that will prevent a ship from docking. Sorry that the lack of information is so upsetting to you. This does happen but it shouldn't ruin your cruise.

The weather may look fine but there are many other things such as the wind and surf that will prevent a ship from docking. Sorry that the lack of information is so upsetting to you. This does happen but it shouldn't ruin your cruise.

Agree about the wind & surf since weather.com shows winds from the east at 18 mph :eek:.

Missing this port was just the final blow that prompted me to post. As I mentioned, the cruise has been a disappointment in many areas. To me its very simple, I have high expectations and they are not being met. Some may consider that complaining or think its unfounded. But expecting more out of others and out of life has served me well so far.

Edited by lasvegastraveler

Sorry you're not having a great time. The weather may seem fine, but there are so many other things that go into docking. Our tour guide in Roatan last year mentioned that the larger ships often need skip because it's such a tight clearance and they could easily damage the reef. I believe he said there was not even a foot on either side of the ship. It's always disappointing to miss a port, it's happened to us many times with Grand Cayman. Hopefully the rest of your cruise will be more enjoyable.

Missing this port was just the final blow that prompted me to post. As I mentioned, the cruise has been a disappointment in many areas. To me its very simple, I have high expectations and they are not being met. Some may consider that complaining or think its unfounded. But expecting more out of others and out of life has served me well so far.

Because missing the port is Carnival's fault right?

We are currently on board the Carnival Magic and it's 8:10 am. We've been sitting just off the port at Roatan where we were SUPPOSED to dock at 8. All 3000+ passengers are walking around wondering whats going on and flooding customer service asking for an update. Customer service says, 'Yes we are docking but we don't know when. We will make a general announcement'. It would be SO SIMPLE, for an announcement to be made stating we are waiting for this or that to happen and then we will dock. Instead, Carnival is letting all of us just wonder, we can't plan our day, we don't know what to expect or when to expect it. It's just irresponsible, inconsiderate and bad service to leave us all in the dark when a simple update announcement would alleviate the issue. Update, we just heard we are not going ashore due to weather. Which is VERY odd because the weather is fine. Honestly, Carnival has been a disappointment around every corner. Line after line to do anything and everything. Calls to Guest Services or House Keeping go unanswered. Food in the Lido Marketplace Buffet is marginal at best. Tendering in Belize was disaster with lines several hundred people long. Misleading shore excursions with excursion operators who are unprepared and deliver a poor experience. The list goes on. If you've cruised Royal or Celebrity, then Carnival will be a disappointment for you.

How about you go into work for me today and I will take your place on the ship?

I can't believe y'all are being so unsympathetic. I cruise twice a year and one of those cruises is Carnival and none of the things happening to OP ever happened to me. Other than not being able to dock, the ither complaints reek of poor management and I think it should be pointed out and future guests warned. Thank you.

Agree about the wind & surf since weather.com shows winds from the east at 18 mph :eek:.

It may not be the winds at the present time. the winds in rotan are forecast to increase to over 45 miles per hour later in the day. This could prevent the ship from departing. Depending on wind direction, if tugs are available and strong enough to assist. If its a cross wind the thrusters may not have enough power to control the ship. It's a long day and the captain dosen't just look at the present, he has to think ahead, which the op is only thinking about themselves.

Complaining all the time, about long lines for tendering is when I found there post a joke. Some people are never happy.

Im kind of agreeing with getupgo. We are taking our kids on their first cruise in a couple weeks. Last year was OUR first cruise ever. They chose this cruise as they wanted to do the stingrays in Grand Cayman. We arent that cruise experienced and loved it last year and will this year as well, but if for some reason we werent able to make that stop in GC, it would be a huge disappointment for my kids and us as that is the main thing they are looking forward to.

Im sure none of you have ever had anything not go your way on all of your cruises? Maybe you didnt post about it and probably it didnt bother you all that much. Some people sail for the ships some people sail for the different ports. This port may have been important for the OP.

I realize that weather and conditions are no fault of the ship or crew but its still a disappointment when you cant stop somewhere you've been looking forward to for a year or more.

Did you end up missing the port entirely? Your last post made it sound like they were 10 minutes late for docking and you were still waiting.

If they don't think it's safe to dock what do you think they should do?

People need to understand that sea conditions can and do change rapidly. If missing a port would ruin your vacation, perhaps a land vacation is in order.

I agree with this too. Although, lets be honest, those don't always go perfectly, but then you have no one to blame.

Here we go again. There's more to weather than how sunny the skies are. Undercurrents, winds and other factors play a huge part in the decision to dock or not, specially at a port like Roatan. Keeping the ship and passengers safe and away from dangerous situations is the number one priority, NOT forcing a multi million dollar ship to dock in unsafe conditions just so that you can have a margarita at Mahogany Beach.

About not making announcements constantly: chill out. Sometimes there's nothing to announce simply because they are still figuring things out and options are still being evaluated. Captains usually prefer to refrain from making announcements until they actually have something to report.

Enjoy your SAFE day at sea and your port tax refund.

This is GREAT info to know. I never knew about this. I LOVE this site because you find so much great info.

Ship happens. Get over it!! Roatan is missed sometimes because of wind. It is a very shallow port making it hard to dock in bad weather conditions. Just because it is sunny doesn't mean the weather is perfect! Kudos to the Captain for keeping all guests and crew safe.

Unfortunately we missed the same port last year due to high winds. I would LOVE to visit this port and the next time I make plans to go to this port, it will probably be on an NCL ship which docks at Coxen Hole.

Unfortunately we missed the same port last year due to high winds. I would LOVE to visit this port and the next time I make plans to go to this port, it will probably be on an NCL ship which docks at Coxen Hole.

We have been there twice, and enjoyed it both times. There is a cove beach break through carnival that is very nice. It's less than $50 per person, and it includes carnival type drinks(lemonade, tea, water), transportation which was about 45 minute drive and entrance into the location, which had an amazing beach, probably the best I have ever seen, hammocks, a little gift shop etc.

I too have been disappointed with poor service but I find that, for the future, the best way to deal with it is to place things in their proper perspective.

A bad cruise experience is better than a good day at work LOL. Lower your expectations and adjust your attitude because anything can happen.

Cruising too often can jade your perspective.

Edited by Babycat

Other posters are correct that there are many reasons that you may not be able to dock, but the OP is correct also in that there is no reason not to keep the passengers updated and explain fully why this is not going to happen.

"Weather" is not a reasonable explanation if not clearly bad conditions. When Norwegian cancelled a port, the Captain created a detailed explanation including maps and his necessary route and played it multiple times during the day on TV. This is the proper way to handle the situation.

I'm quite certain if I were on this cruise I wouldn't be spending my day complaining on Social Media. I would be out and about enjoying my day and trying to make the best of it :) I also don't understand why this OP only decided to start posting on here just to complain??? Where are all the compliments for his other cruises on the "better" lines?

I wish I was on the OP's cruise right now. And I too have high expectations. I would not be on CC complaining but having a blast having another sea day !!!!

Hopefully they do afternoon tea on surprise sea days! What about the C-day BBq does that fire up?

Oh yes I wish I had the OP's problem today. :cool:

If things are as bad as you indicate, and I believe that they have been that way from the start, why did you not take advantage of the guarantee and leave the ship? I know, at times, things are disappointing and it's just not Carnival. We have had some minor problems on Royal Caribbean, NCL and Celebrity, but they didn't ruin any of our cruises, nor did we feel we needed to post about them.

It appears to me that once something happened, whatever it was, you let it gnaw at you and everything then annoyed you. If I were that miserable, I'd have gotten off with the guarantee.

By the way, I also have high expectations and most times they are met, but there are times when things are beyond my control and I live with that. Also, as far as Roatan is concerned, I believe the Magic, like Dream has to back into the port and the channel is very narrow. If there is any wind, the port gets canceled. Had you done some research, you would have known this was a possibility. It happens and other ships that are smaller have been able to get into the port while we weren't.