Tortola RMS Rhone

skeeter195

Has anyone dove the RMS Rhone site in Tortola? It is touted as a one of the best dive sites in the Carribean on some sites. If you had to choose to dive 1 day, would you dive here or in St Thomas some where? I know this a little vague, but I want to dive at least once on our cruise in March of 2016. Thanks

Been there - hev done the Rhone several times as well as other diving around BVI and been to St Thomas several times too (this was my 'work area' for about 10 years and R&R'd at both places many times)

one of the best? Not sure I'd go that far but so far as comparing to St Thomas I'll take Tortola diving any day . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

that's not my way .....

I've been on the same site 100 times .... a few were EPIC, a few were horrible and most were OK. I've been on the Rhone several times and for ME, it was OK .... nothing special.

So I don't recommend SITES. I'll say that if I average my St Thomas experiences and my BVI experiences I'd go back to BVI.

I try to talk to the divemaster / boat captain. This WORKS when I've been to the place often and they remember me ... other times it does not.

Asking to go to Bonnie's Arch in Cayman because I had a fantastic dive there once 3 years ago MUST be weighed against the boat driver looking at weather conditions and knowing it will be crappy there today.

if you can get to Rhone and have never been there I'm SURE you will enjoy it . . .

• 1 month later...

I dove the Rhone once on a cruise ship excursion and again from a liveaboard dive boat (Sail Juliet) and it's a great dive. Had great viz both times and no current to speak of. Saw octopus in broad daylight, schools of grunts and yellowtail, barracuda, rays, turtles, you name it. Be sure if you go to rub the 'lucky' glass porthole window from the ship for good luck. I'm going again in December when the NCL Escape stops in Tortola.

As you can imagine the Rhone is a popular dive site so be ready to have a good number of divers from several boats in the water with you. In particular know which boat you're diving off and know how to get back to your own boat's anchor line.

Edited by Underwatr

• 1 year later...
I dove the Rhone once on a cruise ship excursion and again from a liveaboard dive boat (Sail Juliet) and it's a great dive. Had great viz both times and no current to speak of. Saw octopus in broad daylight, schools of grunts and yellowtail, barracuda, rays, turtles, you name it. Be sure if you go to rub the 'lucky' glass porthole window from the ship for good luck. I'm going again in December when the NCL Escape stops in Tortola.

Hi. I'm on the Escape in a couple weeks. Was hoping to dive but their excursion is too deep for me. I'm a newbe, so 60'. Any suggestions on a private dive company. Will be by myself as hubby doesn't dive, so bit anxious about private trip. Thank you.

http://www.bluewaterdiversbvi.com/default.asp

these folks have been in operation for a LONG time .... it is who my ship agent set me up with every visit. They do private charters but expect to pay . . . .

I would mention that on the Rhone the wreck/dive is 85 feet MAXIMUM ... but there is stuff to see as shallow as 15 .. you can have a good dive and not exceed 60 feet .... you just need to find a buddy that wants to do the same. My suggestion if interested is to go on the regular excursion and SPEAK UP during the dive brief saying you would prefer to not exceed 60. IME the dive master will then ask if any others want to do this and set up a 'shallow' group and a deep group. A diver is responsible to monitor their own depth .... and while I am NOT recommending you exceed your comfort zone note that open water certification says you are good to 'sport diving depth limit' which is 100 feet (in practice, on air) PADI recommends new divers limit depth to 60 feet .... recommends ... and when you are experienced enuf to go deeper is YOUR call. dd went to 100 on her 8th open water dive .... under my supervision ... 6 months later had over 100 logged dives and was a research intern at CocoView in Roatan counting sea horses and surveying coral health

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

http://wikitravel.org/en/Scuba_diving_in_the_British_Virgin_Islands/RMS_Rhone

http://www.bluewaterdiversbvi.com/default.asp

these folks have been in operation for a LONG time .... it is who my ship agent set me up with every visit. They do private charters but expect to pay . . . .

I would mention that on the Rhone the wreck/dive is 85 feet MAXIMUM ... but there is stuff to see as shallow as 15 .. you can have a good dive and not exceed 60 feet .... you just need to find a buddy that wants to do the same. My suggestion if interested is to go on the regular excursion and SPEAK UP during the dive brief saying you would prefer to not exceed 60. IME the dive master will then ask if any others want to do this and set up a 'shallow' group and a deep group. A diver is responsible to monitor their own depth .... and while I am NOT recommending you exceed your comfort zone note that open water certification says you are good to 'sport diving depth limit' which is 100 feet (in practice, on air) PADI recommends new divers limit depth to 60 feet .... recommends ... and when you are experienced enuf to go deeper is YOUR call. dd went to 100 on her 8th open water dive .... under my supervision ... 6 months later had over 100 logged dives and was a research intern at CocoView in Roatan counting sea horses and surveying coral health

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

http://wikitravel.org/en/Scuba_diving_in_the_British_Virgin_Islands/RMS_Rhone

Thank you for all the suggestions. By the end of this trip I should be a bit more confident. I've got 1 open water dive besides the certification dives. The draw backs of living in Canada. There was ice on the ocean where we went Saturday. I'll play it by ear and see how experienced my buddies are. Thanks again.