Formal Evenings

It was never a big ship event in my experience, and I've sailed my share on RC. You dress up, you eat. Always a mix mash of attire all night long. Dining room looks the same as the other nights. While the early diners are eating, the late diners are still in their shorts and flip flops wandering around. When the early diners are finished eating, they change back into casual clothes for the rest of the night. Then there are those that don't dress up at all, which doesn't bother me. Besides the free champagne for an hour (I don't drink), it's not that big a deal. At least the Grande will be designed especially for a real formal evening. I usually book the specialty restaurants these nights, but I am in late dining on the Jewel in Nov with a group. I'll wear a cocktail dress, but it's more of a hassle than anything. Too bad Anthem doesn't have an attractive itinerary for me, the dining concept is appealing.

Edited by sr4mjc

explanation ........

A formal "gala" night is an event once or twice on a 10-14 night cruise. where people all look great and all the ladies look exyra special and more beautiful.

formal dining is basically ..... going to dinner in a dinner suit.

now ........ its not rocket science to know the difference is it really.

We don't want the formal dining experience, we want formal nights :)

'Formal nights' will never happen on commercial cruise lines unless it was a full ship charter.

Cruise lines don't want to enforce a dress code in the MDR, forget about an entire evening.

Most cruisers today would see 'formal nights' as a form of 'alternative lifestyle'!:D

'Formal nights' will never happen on commercial cruise lines unless it was a full ship charter.

Cruise lines don't want to enforce a dress code in the MDR, forget about an entire evening.

Most cruisers today would see 'formal nights' as a form of 'alternative lifestyle'!:D

define a commercial cruise line please bear x

hi.

I'm so glad you love the formal nights.

its so wonderful, one of the things I look forward to most on a cruise.

I've just booked anthem of the seas and am devastated as they have no formal nights and RCI won't let me cancel or transfer cruises.

"Devastated"? Wow. A bit dramatic? LOL

hi.

I'm so glad you love the formal nights.

its so wonderful, one of the things I look forward to most on a cruise.

I've just booked anthem of the seas and am devastated as they have no formal nights and RCI won't let me cancel or transfer cruises.

We were on the Quantum of the Seas a few weeks ago. They do have one formal restaurant- People do dress up. I saw Tux's, gowns, cocktail dress, suits and sports coats. In fact, men must wear a sports coat or will be given one to use. Most that are given look tacky at best- do not fit properly and or the colors do not match- salvation army chic.

You should dine at that restaurant at least two times giving you two formal nights. Makes for great pictures. I believe the name was The Grand-but check in the description of the restaurants and make your reservation in advance to all restaurants. Enjoy

Just got off Liberty last Monday (4 night cruise). Formal night was on day 2. My wife & I ate at Portofinos that night. In Portofinos (Early seating) I was the only one wearing a complete suite. One other had a sports jacket and no tie. Everyone else was wearing a Button shirt either with or without a tie. When we were having desert my wife asked where we were going after, when I said we should go to the promenade, she was worried that we would be overdressed. I said not to worry. Sure enough, the Royal Promenade was hosting the captain's reception, free champagne was being handed out. The environment felt very chic. A few men wore tuxes, there were several with complete suites, many shirts with sports jackets, a few golf shirts, and I kid you not, one guy (He might have won the belly flop competition) was wearing a red wife beater cut off sleeves shirt (Can I even call this a shirt?) that did not quite cover the entirety of his... how can I put this politely.... his belly flop equipment. His shorts looked like they used to be long jeans but had been cut off a few years ago, and the matching footwear... Flip flops, not sandals, the big toe thong flip flops. I don't really usually care about what others are wearing but it did sort of look out of place. The Liberty Band was playing jazz and they sounded and looked great.

On the first night in the MDR, I wore a Shirt & tie, and I felt I was over dressed. I feel that is normal because many probably had not received their luggage yet but we had.

On nights 3 & 4, I chose to wear a nice shirt but no tie and I did not feel out of place at all. But the rest of the crowds were better dressed than on night 1.

All in all, the dress pants and opened collared, tucked in, shirt is probably the most common choice for most men on most nights. And then runs all the way up the scale, and all the way down as well ;)

dp

A bit dramatic for sure. Especially since Anthem will have The Grande where EVERY night is "formal night" if you so want it to be :)

hi ryano ...... Thank you .... and everyone for their response.

I am booked on classic 2 which will (should) guarantee 2 sittings in the grande......... but it's the gala night thing I look forward to. Not the dining.

I booked the newest ship in the world and thought it would be the same as the other RCI cruises.

2 formal nights. as my travel agent said, this won't go down well with the British market.

It seems that the general consensus in the American cruise market is "no to formal nights"

Someone else said ...... you can go formal in the grande every night if you wish ....... well how does that work out on a 3 night cruise when 4000 odd people want to eat in there ?

I know a lot of people on here think I'm being stupid about the whole thing, but that's life.

to be honest. I've Been really slated on CC ...... and yes ... I am devastated. But that's me.i booked

Edited by Stitchman

Not realising they had scrapped formal nights completely.

also ...... I realise people are jumping in in the middle of threads and don't know that I find there is a vast difference between formal nights and formal dining.

I want the formal night not the restaurant :)

certain CC members hit me with their words, so I bit back but not in the Oscar wilde sense.

Apologies about that.

Stitch ..... (still a bit annoyed ... but I'll have a great time anyway)

hi ryano ...... Thank you .... and everyone for their response.

I am booked on classic 2 which will (should) guarantee 2 sittings in the grande......... but it's the gala night thing I look forward to. Not the dining.

I booked the newest ship in the world and thought it would be the same as the other RCI cruises.

2 formal nights. as my travel agent said, this won't go down well with the British market.

It seems that the general consensus in the American cruise market is "no to formal nights"

Someone else said ...... you can go formal in the grande every night if you wish ....... well how does that work out on a 3 night cruise when 4000 odd people want to eat in there ?

I know a lot of people on here think I'm being stupid about the whole thing, but that's life.

to be honest. I've Been really slated on CC ...... and yes ... I am devastated. But that's me.i booked

FYI the restaurants are the least problem of the Quantum . Perhaps the ship was designed for the Chinese market- as it didn't win me over- We cancelled our Anthem cruise scheduled for next March- Hope that you have a better experience then we did! Just prepare yourself for very long waits at all venues. While the ship is beautiful and the wifi wonderful- our grandsuite great- I prefer the Oasis Class and will stick to it in the future. Fortunately suite guests have a dedicated restaurant that wasn't crowded and we dined their for many meals. I am sure others might differ from my opinion- but my idea of a great vacation is excellent service and no stressful waiting.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Majority of "gentlemen" will respect the suggested attire for the evening. Others will at least wear a tie. A small minority, despite what many people say on these boards, will do what they want. There is no real excuse for not looking decent on formal night. Kids will say they are not comfortable in dress clothes, but by the time we reach adulthood, those silly excuses should not apply. That is what being an adult is about. Sure, I will be blasted for thinking this, but my young adult kids, won't even think of dressing anything less than wearing a jacket in tie at a "formal" dinner, even if it on a cruise ship. It's not an age thing, or a temperature is hot, or a baggage fee issue, but really, simply I don't want to, so let's find an excuse not to thing to use as an excuse.

@ cruise a holic .......

to be honest ..... The whole "booking a table" thing filled me with dread. and as my cruise will be about the 5th/6th on anthem, it might get messy.

people are saying stop moaning, but it's 3 grand !!

and before people say it yet again ...... yes, I did try to cancel and yes, I did try to change cruises.

and I agree big time about the scruffy thing ......

A load of idiots saying "I want to feel comfortable" .....

@ cruise a holic .......

to be honest ..... The whole "booking a table" thing filled me with dread. and as my cruise will be about the 5th/6th on anthem, it might get messy.

people are saying stop moaning, but it's 3 grand !!

and before people say it yet again ...... yes, I did try to cancel and yes, I did try to change cruises.

and I agree big time about the scruffy thing ......

A load of idiots saying "I want to feel comfortable" .....

I do not want you to think you will not enjoy the Anthem- I am sure you will, it is great to experience this class at least once. The Robot bar is very interesting as are many other features. Just be prepared for crowds- Maybe I am getting old and have lost my patience for crowds and long lines. I did have the ultimate drink package- so the drinking kept me happy!

Majority of "gentlemen" will respect the suggested attire for the evening. Others will at least wear a tie. A small minority, despite what many people say on these boards, will do what they want. There is no real excuse for not looking decent on formal night. Kids will say they are not comfortable in dress clothes, but by the time we reach adulthood, those silly excuses should not apply. That is what being an adult is about. Sure, I will be blasted for thinking this, but my young adult kids, won't even think of dressing anything less than wearing a jacket in tie at a "formal" dinner, even if it on a cruise ship. It's not an age thing, or a temperature is hot, or a baggage fee issue, but really, simply I don't want to, so let's find an excuse not to thing to use as an excuse.

Wow. I think you may have dropped your soapbox when you left...

of course I'll enjoy anthem.
but I'm probably a little like you, my patience wears very thin.
I hate waiting for anything, most of the time, if I know I have to wait, I don't bother.
I'm going to upgrade my drinks package to ultimate too. I think I may need to ;)

as I sit here on my balcony ... watching the boats all pass me on the River just past Vauxhall bridge ..... I keep thinking...... I just can't wait to get on a ship again :)