Passport Snafu Caused Us to Cancel Cruise

Just a helpful reminder to check those passport expiration dates.

We were on the April 16th sailing on the Liberty. But over the weekend, we realized our daughter's passport was expired (a major DOH!) and went to the courthouse yesterday to get it renewed. Yes, I know this is dumb, dumb, dumb, but it was simply an oversight. We thought it expired later this year.

We paid to have her passport expedited but the passport office couldn't guarantee it would arrive before the 4/16 cruise.

The problem is she was adopted from Central America and does not have the typical U.S. birth certificate. (Although she's obviously a U.S. citizen since she's had a passport before.)

We have all kinds of documentation but RCI was afraid we would have an issue with customs. So better to be safe than sorry.

After several discussions with RCI, they strongly recommended moving our cruise date. So we booked the April 30 sailing.

I cannot say enough good things about RCI customer service. They bent over backwards to accommodate us and we didn't lose a dime. We should have been out 25% but they waived the fee if we rebooked another date. This was completely unexpected but very much appreciated.

I feel like one of those Rob Lowe commercials ... This is me. And this is bone-headed me. :) All's well that ends well.

Happy Sailing, Everyone!

Glad it worked out well for you. I know the feeling of thinking something is supposed to expire later than it really does. I thought my license expired in December 2014. The SC license is good for ten years. I knew I got my last license in 2004 when we moved into our new home. Unfortunately, it was just an address update (I thought it was a complete renewal).

Anyhow, in late October 2014 I was rear-ended at a red light. When the officer checked my license, I was told that I had been driving on an expired license for ten months :eek: I was not the one at fault for the accident, but my husband had to come and pick me up from the scene. I had to get another co-worker to give me a ride the next morning and go to the DMV. I had to retake my written AND driving test over b/c my license had been expired for more than nine months.

Talk about a bonehead!! :)

Just as a tip, for future reference or for others who may be reading, if you need a passport faster than the typical expedited service, the other option is to make an appointment at a Passport Agency.

Of course, if you don't happen to live close to a Passport Agency, that may not be a good option, but there is one in Miami. SO, that may have been an option for you, but I'm glad things worked out with rescheduling your cruise.

Thanks for all the well wishes! And regarding Rob Lowe ... I know, right?!

And as far as the title of the thread, we did have to cancel our cruise due to our error. We were lucky Royal offered to rebook us. But can't post anything on this board without a little criticism. I apologize to those misled. I was just trying to remind folks to check your documentation.

Luckily it worked out for us. Thanks again for the positive comments. :)

Edited by ksawyercruiser

Glad it worked out well for you. I know the feeling of thinking something is supposed to expire later than it really does. I thought my license expired in December 2014. The SC license is good for ten years. I knew I got my last license in 2004 when we moved into our new home. Unfortunately, it was just an address update (I thought it was a complete renewal).

Anyhow, in late October 2014 I was rear-ended at a red light. When the officer checked my license, I was told that I had been driving on an expired license for ten months :eek: I was not the one at fault for the accident, but my husband had to come and pick me up from the scene. I had to get another co-worker to give me a ride the next morning and go to the DMV. I had to retake my written AND driving test over b/c my license had been expired for more than nine months.

Talk about a bonehead!! :)

Glad I'm not the only one! We should hang out sometime. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Just as a tip, for future reference or for others who may be reading, if you need a passport faster than the typical expedited service, the other option is to make an appointment at a Passport Agency.

Of course, if you don't happen to live close to a Passport Agency, that may not be a good option, but there is one in Miami. SO, that may have been an option for you, but I'm glad things worked out with rescheduling your cruise.

Great tip. Thank you!