Experienced cruiser-new to family cruising

boysx2

Hubby and I went on 3 cruises before having kids (1 Carnival and 2 on RC). We are starting to look into our first family cruise. Thinking winter 2016/2017. We have 2 boys who would be 6 and 8.5 almost 9 at that time. I'm looking for any and all advice. Here are some of my thoughts so far

-most likely not doing a disney cruise, based on cost

-will be getting a balcony room regardless of cruise line

-thinking ports like Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Mexico would be good for their age and first time cruisers but open to suggestions (though we'd really like to take them to the turtle farm and sting ray snorkel in grand cayman)

-We live in Michigan so we will have to fly to our departure port

-initially thinking carnival, just because its cheaper, and we do know that it is a younger crowd, and we are ok with that. But open to suggestions of best cruise line with kids.

Thanks everyone!

If cost is a concern, see if NCL is still running their promo where passengers 3 and 4 sail either free or half price depending on the dates. Their bigger ships like getaway and escape have lots of stuff for kids. RCL's newer ships are also great for kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If cost is a concern, see if NCL is still running their promo where passengers 3 and 4 sail either free or half price depending on the dates. Their bigger ships like getaway and escape have lots of stuff for kids. RCL's newer ships are also great for kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say its a concern, but I do know some cruise lines offer better deals than others. I know Carnival always had a considerable discount on guests 3 and 4 and RC occasionally has 50% off 3 and 4.

We have to buy 4 plane tickets just to get to the port so I'm just keeping an eye on cost.

I would start looking at airfares to all of the Fl. departure ports..that's probably going to be a HUGE chunk of your budget! Then, I'd start looking for who sails from the cheapest port...and then look where it goes!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the main cruise lines/ships! Especially, since the kids are 1st timers!!!

We've cruised with our kids since the youngest was 3 - they are now 8 and 13. I personally prefer stress-free ports where you dock, get off the ship and everything is right there with little or no cost. Ports like Grand Turk, the new Amber Cove in D.R. and private islands are most appealing to us. We have cruised with Carnival, HAL and Celebrity with our kids. HAL and Celebrity we cashed in on 3/4 passenger free and we always go end of January/first of February.

I would start looking at airfares to all of the Fl. departure ports..that's probably going to be a HUGE chunk of your budget! Then, I'd start looking for who sails from the cheapest port...and then look where it goes!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the main cruise lines/ships! Especially, since the kids are 1st timers!!!

We always fly Southwest and they dont put their schedule out that far. Right now its only out through Oct 2015 I believe.

Airfare is only released 1 year out for most carriers so actual fares won't be out for a while (Southwest doesn't release until later). Keep in mind that some ports like Galveston and Port Canaveral are a ways from an airport so transportation to the ports could be more costly. If you are not traveling during holidays, it is possible to get decent air to Florida cities--especially if you watch for fare sales.

I'd find the best deal that you feel comfortable with for now and keep watching. You have a long time and could change if something else you liked better became a good deal.

We mainly sail RCCL now and love them for kids, especially their Oasis class ships. I've heard good things about Carnival with kids, but the only Carnival cruises I've been on were 3 days which I would not consider with DD (I hear their longer cruise are not near the party boats as the short ones though).

Edited by flhokie

Our son has greatly enjoyed the kids clubs on both Princess and NCL.

Royal also has an excellent reputation as a family line, as does Disney (although generally at a substantial cost).

Many families on Cruise Critic seem to be happy with Carnival. We sailed this itinerary prior to having kids, but it meets some of your port requests:

http://www.carnival.com/itinerary/7-day-western-caribbean-cruise/miami/glory/7-days/cw6/?numGuests=2&destination=caribbean&dest=C&datFrom=042015&datTo=042017&shipCode=GL

This itinerary visits:

Grand Cayman Islands (turtle farm and sting ray city)

Belize (which has a really lovely zoo, and possibly cave tubing if you think your kids would really like that)

Cozumel, Mexico (swim with dolphins),

Roatan Honduras (if you book a private tour with Bodden Adventures you can go inside a monkey cage and have monkeys climb on you, and there are nice zip lines and ecowalks at South Shore Canopy park and there is an iguana farm)

We sailed that itinerary out of Tampa, so you can see if Carnival starts it in different locations to get the cheapest airfare.

The only line we had some limited difficulties traveling as a family was HAL, as the passengers weren't terribly friendly towards children and there weren't a lot of child amenities available, at least not on the Ryndam, which is one of their older vessels. The kids club was good - but not outstanding like the other ships we sailed. We assumed that prior to booking, and chose the cruise due to a strong itinerary. If you can find an itinerary you love, I think it is fine to book a family cruise with HAL, but it wouldn't be my first choice if you are extremely flexible about where you travel (and it sounds like you are very flexible).

Take a look at Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston in early/mid November 2016. I am seeing 2A2C in a D1 balcony is $824 per person for 1st and 2nd, and only $189 pp for 3rd and 4th. Price for Junior Suite and Grand Suite are both good.

Take a look at Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston in early/mid November 2016. I am seeing 2A2C in a D1 balcony is $824 per person for 1st and 2nd, and only $189 pp for 3rd and 4th. Price for Junior Suite and Grand Suite are both good.

That's about the price I have been looking at for a 7 day. THanks

Our son has greatly enjoyed the kids clubs on both Princess and NCL.

Royal also has an excellent reputation as a family line, as does Disney (although generally at a substantial cost).

Many families on Cruise Critic seem to be happy with Carnival. We sailed this itinerary prior to having kids, but it meets some of your port requests:

http://www.carnival.com/itinerary/7-day-western-caribbean-cruise/miami/glory/7-days/cw6/?numGuests=2&destination=caribbean&dest=C&datFrom=042015&datTo=042017&shipCode=GL

This itinerary visits:

Grand Cayman Islands (turtle farm and sting ray city)

Belize (which has a really lovely zoo, and possibly cave tubing if you think your kids would really like that)

Cozumel, Mexico (swim with dolphins),

Roatan Honduras (if you book a private tour with Bodden Adventures you can go inside a monkey cage and have monkeys climb on you, and there are nice zip lines and ecowalks at South Shore Canopy park and there is an iguana farm)

We sailed that itinerary out of Tampa, so you can see if Carnival starts it in different locations to get the cheapest airfare.

The only line we had some limited difficulties traveling as a family was HAL, as the passengers weren't terribly friendly towards children and there weren't a lot of child amenities available, at least not on the Ryndam, which is one of their older vessels. The kids club was good - but not outstanding like the other ships we sailed. We assumed that prior to booking, and chose the cruise due to a strong itinerary. If you can find an itinerary you love, I think it is fine to book a family cruise with HAL, but it wouldn't be my first choice if you are extremely flexible about where you travel (and it sounds like you are very flexible).

Those sound like some GREAT ports and excursions. And we LOVE Tampa so that would be a good port to leave from (we've been out of Miami, Port Canaveral and New Orleans)

As to cost we priced out adding second/third into balcony-suite versus inside and was cheaper to do an inside cabin and an outside. Sometimes even if the two cabin is more, maybe worthwhile for the privacy :p

We've done Carnival and offer a good value, but find the Princess was also good fun for our kids when they were younger. Of course the best from what I can see would be RCCL but they always seem to run more.

In the end I have yet to take a cruise I didn't like... happy planning :D

As to cost we priced out adding second/third into balcony-suite versus inside and was cheaper to do an inside cabin and an outside. Sometimes even if the two cabin is more, maybe worthwhile for the privacy :p

We've done Carnival and offer a good value, but find the Princess was also good fun for our kids when they were younger. Of course the best from what I can see would be RCCL but they always seem to run more.

In the end I have yet to take a cruise I didn't like... happy planning :D

When the kids are older that may be an option but I'm not comfortable having two rooms with younger kids.

Hubby and I went on 3 cruises before having kids (1 Carnival and 2 on RC). We are starting to look into our first family cruise. Thinking winter 2016/2017. We have 2 boys who would be 6 and 8.5 almost 9 at that time. I'm looking for any and all advice. Here are some of my thoughts so far

-most likely not doing a disney cruise, based on cost

-will be getting a balcony room regardless of cruise line

-thinking ports like Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Mexico would be good for their age and first time cruisers but open to suggestions (though we'd really like to take them to the turtle farm and sting ray snorkel in grand cayman)

-We live in Michigan so we will have to fly to our departure port

-initially thinking carnival, just because its cheaper, and we do know that it is a younger crowd, and we are ok with that. But open to suggestions of best cruise line with kids.

Thanks everyone!

Check out the Nov 18th sailing on the new Carnival Vista. It's 11 days through Thanksgiving stopping in Grand Turk, Aruba, Bonaire, and St.Maarten. it also has a new Family Harbor area.