Alaska/Yukon

shelnj18

We have just booked our cruise for 8/15 on the Noordam...The way I understand is that it is a 7 day Alaska cruise, but we will be getting off in Skagway and going to the Yukon for 2 days. It sounds interesting. Looking for some helpful hints about this type of trip. Packing tips or tips on excursions would be great! Thanks. Shelly

Do you have the HAL land and sea journey number? The Noordam will let you get off in Skagway but it will resume the 7 day cruise at the end of the day. If you have two days in the Yukon you would probably end up in Whitehorse or Dawson City. Check your itinerary, you may only have four days on the ship.

Wow, I don't know about this... I've only seen 7 day cruises, where you can book day excursion into the Yukon, or there are 6+ day tours into Dawson/Denali, but your sea days end there. 2 days, I don't think the ship would wait for you?

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

It is considered a 6 day land sea tour. We will be getting off in Skagway, staying in a hotel for one night there and then the next day, taking a train and coach bus to Whitehorse. We will arrive back in Vancouver on Thursday. I found this online and not in their brochure.

Edited by shelnj18

Let me clarify something. On the sixth day (Thursday) we will fly to Vancouver. Once we get off the ship in Skagway, we will not be going on the ship again. From there on, it's the land portion. Shelly

Nice! We're planning on doing the Y3 in 2018. When We flew back from our Celebrity cruise, I sat next to a guy who was finishing the Yukon. Other than a couple lunches, food is on you for the tour (and 1.5X normal price). We're bringing oatmeal packets for breakfast, going to try and eat cheap for lunch, splurge a bit more for dinner. In Whitehorse, I was told that there is a grocery store next to the hotel.

Should be fun! :)

I was told about the food not being included and I think that is a good idea about bringing oatmeal. The cost of the balcony room for the 4 days on the ship, plus the hotel and transfers being included was too good to pass up. And maybe, without eating so much for a few days I can actually lose weight on vacation!!! I think as long as we have our caffeine in the am we should be ok!

I was told about the food not being included and I think that is a good idea about bringing oatmeal. The cost of the balcony room for the 4 days on the ship, plus the hotel and transfers being included was too good to pass up. And maybe, without eating so much for a few days I can actually lose weight on vacation!!! I think as long as we have our caffeine in the am we should be ok!

Sounds good, might not be a bad idea to just have 1 meal for lunch/dinner in addition to the oatmeal. Some trail mix or nuts could also help tie you over.

It's also best to dress in layers. We went last August and it was about 50 Degrees in Alaska, 30 near Glaciers. Dawson/Fairbanks/Denali could be chilly, but Vancouver was warm.