Civitavecchia to rome train trip

ian moore

It looks like a long walk - how long to think it would be to walk vs the shuttle?

Best case, if you are in the very first berth, it's three-quarters of a mile from there to the train station. For me that's about 10 - 15 minutes walking.

Worst case, if you are in the very last berth, it's one and three quarter miles.

You are not allowed to walk out of port, must take a shuttle.
This is not true, regardless of what your cruise line tells you. The port information linked above very clearly states that you can walk out if you want to.

Based on your experience of sitting on the bus waiting for it to fill, I'd lose my mind. Fortunately I'm in good enough shape that walking a mile or two is not a big deal, so I'd be hoofing it for sure.

Edited by euro cruiser

This is not true, regardless of what your cruise line tells you. The port information linked above very clearly states that you can walk out if you want to.

Based on your experience of sitting on the bus waiting for it to fill, I'd lose my mind. Fortunately I'm in good enough shape that walking a mile or two is not a big deal, so I'd be hoofing it for sure.

So, we're planning to hoof it. We're trying to get to Rome as early as possible with a ship docking at 0700. What is your guess about the earliest train we could catch (don't care whether it's regionale or reserved train) if we're docked (worst case scenario) at the furthest berth?

Maybe you are allowed to walk, but when we got there, we were walking in the port from the train station and were told we were not allowed to by the person who was "standing guard".......don't know. It worked out okay because our ship was a very long way from the entrance of the port and we had luggage. Plus, I agree, don't believe what the cruise ship tells you, but they did make it clear that we were not allowed to walk out, as I asked at the B2B meeting that specific question because we wanted to get up, get out and be on our way to Rome asap.

Plus, I agree with Eurocruiser, it was hard to just sit on the bus and wait for more people to board so we could leave. We thought about sneaking off, but it was raining and dark, so we just stayed on. And, when we got to the parking lot drop off, it had stopped raining and there was at least some street lights to guide our way.

Take Eurocruiser advice, seems to always be right!

On March 31, 2015 we were NOT allowed to walk directly from Holland-America's gangway to the Train Sta. Period. A $Free$ bus took us to the Pier's North Entrance, where yet ANOTHER bus took us to the Train Station. We had walked directly in the past. Massive construction machinery, concrete rubble and barricades all 'round prevented it this time.

Would we have been arrested had we tried walking directly from ship to Train Station on March 31,2015?? Probably. Has it changed between then and today? I don't know. Locomotiveman Tom

I have a stupid question... What is a BIRG ticket? I´m planning a day in Rome for my husband and son and found this thread very interesting. We arrive at the port in June on the Allure and I´m now trying to figure out how to enjoy the port days without breaking the bank.

The BIRG is a transportation pass issued by ATAC, the agency that runs Rome's mass transit.

The specific one we discuss here is a five-zone BIRG, which currently costs €12 and covers regional train travel between Rome and Civitavecchia as well as buses, trams, and metros in Rome for the entire day. It expires at midnight of the day it is used.

You can purchase this ticket at the newsstand inside the Civitavecchia train station as well as at some other newsstands in town.

http://atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=229&i=14

Unless this has changed in the last few years, purchase of a ticket does not allow 'use' of the ticket. It must be validated before you board your first train.

There are validation boxes on the train platform...stick the ticket in and it will be time-stamped (validated) and you are good to go.

Fines result if you happen to be caught traveling with an unvalidated ticket.

If this has changed, will someone please update this issue? :rolleyes:

I got the train to Rome on Easter Monday. I got the free shuttle bus to the edge of the port. There were a line of buses waiting to take people to the train station and it cost 80c each way.

I'd been advised to buy the €12 train, tram, bus and underground ticket in the newsagents beside the train station, did so and avoided the queues in the train station. There are machines in the foyer of the train station where you validate your ticket.