GSC - Child/MIL/MOM Safety Question

Lingalizzi

I have read that the lagoon side is nice an calm and quiet - BUT there is a steep drop just steps away from the water's edge. I haven't read anything about the ocean side and I was hoping someone could provide some insights.

We plan to play in the water all day. I have an 8 year old who is a good swimmer in a pool, but doesn't have ocean experience. I also have my MIL who can swim well, but has mobility issues and may have trouble with walking unassisted in the sand. I also have my mom who can't swim at all. I foresee my husband and I each watching one/two at all times, but to play it safe, I don't want to put us in a dangerous situation.

Where should we set up - lagoon or ocean side? Or if you have information about the ocean side, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I can give you some information about the lagoon, as we had a small cabana last summer and spent the whole time on the lagoon side. There wasn't a particularly deep drop-off at any point during the day, at least not a few feet out. As a matter of fact, I remember going pretty far out in order to actually swim rather than just walking around in the water. There are little to no waves to worry about for your child, and it tends to be less crowded in that area, so you might be able to get a spot with chairs a little closer to the water so your MIL doesn't have to walk too much. Also, you can take the little tram that they have to get to that area, as it's farther away from where you tender over and might be too much of a hike for your MIL. They do also have the wheelchairs with the huge wheels that can move through the sand, if you think that would be a better or safer option for her.

The thing that you need to be careful of in the lagoon is that there are some large rock formations under the water and, depending on the tide, you have to be careful swimming and walking around in the water not to scrape on them. As the water level got lower last summer, I was floating around and scraped a little on one. Nothing serious at all; it's just something to be aware of so you can warn your child and MIL to be extra careful. I doubt your mom would go in far enough for it to be an issue.

Have a great cruise!

I can give you some information about the lagoon, as we had a small cabana last summer and spent the whole time on the lagoon side. There wasn't a particularly deep drop-off at any point during the day, at least not a few feet out. As a matter of fact, I remember going pretty far out in order to actually swim rather than just walking around in the water. There are little to no waves to worry about for your child, and it tends to be less crowded in that area, so you might be able to get a spot with chairs a little closer to the water so your MIL doesn't have to walk too much. Also, you can take the little tram that they have to get to that area, as it's farther away from where you tender over and might be too much of a hike for your MIL. They do also have the wheelchairs with the huge wheels that can move through the sand, if you think that would be a better or safer option for her.

The thing that you need to be careful of in the lagoon is that there are some large rock formations under the water and, depending on the tide, you have to be careful swimming and walking around in the water not to scrape on them. As the water level got lower last summer, I was floating around and scraped a little on one. Nothing serious at all; it's just something to be aware of so you can warn your child and MIL to be extra careful. I doubt your mom would go in far enough for it to be an issue.

Have a great cruise!

THANKS for the info! A fellow CC member did a review from 2 weeks ago and mentioned the steep drop so I was concerned. We sail this Sunday. We have our water shoes ready - but good info about the rocks. We plan to go as early as possible to get a good spot - but the main thing is that with the 2 moms in tow, we can't be exploring too much and leave them behind, so finding the right spot to "park" for the day is super important for us.

Edited by Lingalizzi

My 5 y/o DS played in the water for a few at the lagoon but didn't go far out at all. We eventually moved around to the next beach back up (not the busy one by the Bacardi bar). There are rock formations there that provided somewhat of a barrier. We let him play in this area and we were close to him at all times, but felt very comfortable with him there. There are also lifeguards, which I wasn't expecting to see. I will try to post a couple of pictures later of the different beach areas when I get home.

We loved GSC! :)

I was there with my two kids (8 and 11) just about a year ago and I found the lagoon very steep and with so many sharp rocks. I hadn't packed water shoes, as this was our third trip to GSC and didn't realize the extent of the changes going on... We made our way back to the ocean beach quickly. It is so beautiful by the ocean and although there are rocks, it wasn't as bad as at the lagoon. The rocks and the tiny crabs! Oh boy! I couldn't wait to retreat!

I was there with my two kids (8 and 11) just about a year ago and I found the lagoon very steep and with so many sharp rocks. I hadn't packed water shoes, as this was our third trip to GSC and didn't realize the extent of the changes going on... We made our way back to the ocean beach quickly. It is so beautiful by the ocean and although there are rocks, it wasn't as bad as at the lagoon. The rocks and the tiny crabs! Oh boy! I couldn't wait to retreat!

THANK YOU - these are the things I want to know!! As a mom, I want very specific DETAILS! LOL! I'm thinking that the rocks alone may be reason enough to stay on the ocean side. What's this about the tiny crabs???

Also - does the buffet have any kid friendly food? My son has never tried a hot dog or burger, refuses to eat either.

Well, I am detail mom myself! The food is okay. Lots of fresh fruit! And there are different salads, but it is more like a picnic, a big family picnic. Now the tiny crabs... I think if I had shoes I wouldn't have worried! I just didn't want to squish them! So I floated everywhere!

OP, you really paid attention to details of my post / review - please go back & check the linked photos to decide. Here's another non-posted picture - in slightly larger size & better resolution - fine to view on tablets as well as PC's/Mac screens.

Mar%2025%2C%202015_14361.jpg

This was at low-tide and our loungers/clamshell is about 15 ft. from the elevated station with the one life guard on duty on his/her umbrella chair, the calm water's edge is about 15 to 20 yards away from us. The slope of the lagoon does not gradually level slowly into shoulder's height, that comfort zone for swimming - depending on where you stand - is maybe 5 yards from waist/chest height to going above one's mouth & nose and that's for most adults - the zone maybe just 1 to 2 yards for younger children, like the small pair on the left side of this photograph - mom is about 20 yards away with her back turned - hence, my caution for parents & guardians heading there to relax for the day.

The secluded lagoon is nice, relaxing and uncrowded - just need to be aware & stay alert with non-swimmers in the water. All it takes is for a non-swimmer to do several extra strokes further out by 2 or 3 yards, become bottomless & panic - and, next time you know, arms swinging & flapping - sliding into even deeper water. The sea water is pretty salty too and I almost forget, jellyfish were captured by the kids in their play buckets - lifeguard said they will are fine. Tiny crabs - we didn't see any during our 5 hours stay and I was in & out of the water in between.

We rented the blue Clamshell on the spot for $30. The single float @ $10 and the blue party float for two people @ $25. They will write out the slip & charge it back to your account. There're enough to be rented as the Lagoon was at 50% capacity at most, plenty of loungers - and maybe half a dozen shells for last minute rental. As long as you can get there early, not a problem - we're the first to arrive and the small "crowds" didn't show up until closer to noon.

During holidays/school breaks @ GSC, the rentals might be different for the fully packed mega-ships tendering, but the smaller Dawn/Jewel class ships calling will not have problems, IMO.

The lagoon mking posted is NOT the cabana lagoon. The cabana lagoon has a hill to get down to the water and several rock formations in the water. If the water is rough at all I wouldn't trust a non swimmer. I'm a strong swimmer and was actually surprised at the strength of the waves around the rocks.

OP, you really paid attention to details of my post / review - please go back & check the linked photos to decide. Here's another non-posted picture - in slightly larger size & better resolution - fine to view on tablets as well as PC's/Mac screens.

The secluded lagoon is nice, relaxing and uncrowded - just need to be aware & stay alert with non-swimmers in the water. All it takes is for a non-swimmer to do several extra strokes further out by 2 or 3 yards, become bottomless & panic - and, next time you know, arms swinging & flapping - sliding into even deeper water. The sea water is pretty salty too and I almost forget, jellyfish were captured by the kids in their play buckets - lifeguard said they will are fine. Tiny crabs - we didn't see any during our 5 hours stay and I was in & out of the water in between.

Hello mking8288 - I did read your review thoroughly and I wanted to make sure that I had a better understanding of the rest of the island, especially since you mentioned how easy it was for a kid to potentially lose their footing at the drop. THANK YOU for that information, I would never have known otherwise. I appreciate your extra info here. :-) We will be booking a clam shell as soon as we can so we can hopefully get on that priority tender, it's my son's 8th birthday and he can't wait to get on a beach. From your photos, it appears to be calm and quiet, but did you experience the rocks under the water being an issue?

BTW - thanks again for the extremely detailed review, I feel like I am very well prepared for our cruise on Sunday, with the right expectations - thanks in a huge part to your review.

My 5 y/o DS played in the water for a few at the lagoon but didn't go far out at all. We eventually moved around to the next beach back up (not the busy one by the Bacardi bar). There are rock formations there that provided somewhat of a barrier. We let him play in this area and we were close to him at all times, but felt very comfortable with him there. There are also lifeguards, which I wasn't expecting to see. I will try to post a couple of pictures later of the different beach areas when I get home.

We loved GSC! :)

THANK YOU! So now i'm getting the idea that there may be a third area in addition to the lagoon and the ocean. I like the idea of no surprises, LOL.

7a8b86830b729f3923eb167a22e1d0a1.jpg

Beach between the lagoon and the more crowded beach by the Bacardi bar. This has the rocks and then the shallow area in front of them. This was where we spent most of the day! Smooth bottom but a little rough when you get to the rocks. Still not bad on the feet for us though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello mking8288 - I did read your review thoroughly and I wanted to make sure that I had a better understanding of the rest of the island, especially since you mentioned how easy it was for a kid to potentially lose their footing at the drop. THANK YOU for that information, I would never have known otherwise. I appreciate your extra info here. :-) We will be booking a clam shell as soon as we can so we can hopefully get on that priority tender, it's my son's 8th birthday and he can't wait to get on a beach. From your photos, it appears to be calm and quiet, but did you experience the rocks under the water being an issue?

BTW - thanks again for the extremely detailed review, I feel like I am very well prepared for our cruise on Sunday, with the right expectations - thanks in a huge part to your review.

There seems to be a bit of confusion- the beach that is in front of the small cabanas is not the lagoon, it opens to the ocean and is rocky with waves, etc. You can go out quite a bit before the water gets deep. The lagoon is not connected to the ocean at all, it's more like a pond and has an island in the middle of it. This body of water has a steep drop of relatively close to shore (maybe 10 yards out or so) and is not rocky at all. If you go to the small cabanas and keep going you will find the lagoon. The tram will drop you off there and you can ask at the shore excursion kiosk where to catch that. I did not see any clam shells located near the lagoon. There is another food service area by the lagoon but we were told it is only open when the Breakaway is calling on the island.