Can you refuse an "upgrade?"

jrmama496

I recently made final payment on a cruise I booked and found out that we had been "upgraded. I had booked a midship inside guarantee on a high deck because we don't really care about a view but we like being midship and on higher decks. The upgrade is for a porthole cabin on a low deck all the way forward. This is a terrible location for us. Is there any way to refuse an upgrade?

I recently made final payment on a cruise I booked and found out that we had been "upgraded. I had booked a midship inside guarantee on a high deck because we don't really care about a view but we like being midship and on higher decks. The upgrade is for a porthole cabin on a low deck all the way forward. This is a terrible location for us. Is there any way to refuse an upgrade?

You can always ask, but you got what you paid for. Of course if you're now willing to pay for your preferred location NCL will have no problem taking the extra cash from you.

NCL will generally be glad to take some more money for you to move you into a higher cabin category—so, for instance, if you decided to pay the difference between your category and a midship oceanview, they'll let you do that.

Unfortunately, though, with a guarantee cabin, that's about all you'll be able to do. Whenever you book a guarantee, you have to be OK with getting placed in any cabin at or above your cabin category. If you have specific needs—like being midship—guarantees aren't your best option. We booked a guarantee obstructed OV on deck 8 one time and got upgraded to a porthole cabin all the way forward. Oh wel.

Check the current prices for your sailing and see if you can bump up to a higher category.

Under these circumstances you did not get an upgrade, you got a cabin assignment, and you can't refuse it becasue you booked a guarantee which only assures you a cabin in the category you booked or higher, no specific cabin or location is promised. You agreed to take a mid ship inside or anything higher. You got an oceanview which is a higher category, so you are pretty much out of luck.

Edited by zqvol