Can you refuse an "upgrade?"

jrmama496

I recently made final payment on a cruise I booked and found out that we had been "upgraded. I had booked a midship inside guarantee on a high deck because we don't really care about a view but we like being midship and on higher decks. The upgrade is for a porthole cabin on a low deck all the way forward. This is a terrible location for us. Is there any way to refuse an upgrade?

When booking guarantees, you're guarantee a room that doesn't mean you're 'guarantee" the exact location/ fringe benefits nor liking it. Call up NCL and ask them if they can switch to your preferred location and hopefully they will not charge you extra for the switch. Hey for all you know, they may upgrade you to better room category like OV if the price drops or a small fee. *shrug*

I booked an Obstructed Oceanview (OK) vs Guarantee Oceanview (OX) because the OK is deck 8 and the OX are 4, 5, 8. I believe the OK is higher catagory than OX, can anyone confirm?

At least, it's higher up on the room listing: http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/staterooms/oceanview

With that being said, it looks like an "upgrade" could be Mid-ship Oceanview Picture window, but on deck 5.

As a first time cruiser I (think I would) prefer to be on 8...vs 5.

Hmmm, wondering when they will finally assign my room, still 50some days out. Oh my.

I guess I didn't realize the OK room is a "guarantee" type..or am I wrong?

Regardless, I will be there with a BIG FAT smile on my face, like this guy: :D

I recently made final payment on a cruise I booked and found out that we had been "upgraded. I had booked a midship inside guarantee on a high deck because we don't really care about a view but we like being midship and on higher decks. The upgrade is for a porthole cabin on a low deck all the way forward. This is a terrible location for us. Is there any way to refuse an upgrade?

How could you even think of refusing after YOU guaranteed NCL any cabin was acceptable to you for the cheap price they gave you .

On Jewel class

THis is a real problem as the obstructed view on 8 are probably the best OV cabins the midship ones are great location if you can get one.

Any other non obstructed OV are considered upgrades when in many cases they are not.

I have noticed getting an asigned obstructed view OK on 8 is not always possible as only GTY is offered on some trips.

OX are the two obstucted view forward on 8 usually only as GTY(pinkish on deck plans)

OK the rest of the obstructed view on 8

all the OV cabin grades are above both OX and OK both even the pits ones in OG.

You did not get an upgrade, you got a cabin assignment, and you can't refuse it because you booked a guarantee which only assures you a cabin in the category you booked or higher, no specific cabin or location is promised. You agreed to take a mid ship inside or anything higher. You got an oceanview which is a higher category, so you are pretty much out of luck.

You have only one option if you don't like your guarantee cabin assignment - PAY to be upgraded to a different cabin.

When you agree to a guarantee category, you are basically agreeing to be placed in any cabin that is AT LEAST the same category or higher according to NCL's categories, not your opinion as to what is a higher category.

The fact that the cabin you were given is not to your liking is not relevant, because Norwegian has met it's obligation to you according to your contract.

Based upon what you define as your preferences, in the future you should book the cabin that meets your needs explicitly, and not buy guarantee class cabins.

Guarantee class cabins are not for everyone, you have to be flexible and understand what the possibilities are when you purchase them.

Great news! My TA called Norwegian this morning and they reassigned me to an inside midship upper deck like I wanted! I guess it could be done after all. :)

If you don't ask, you don't get :) Good job on getting the cabin you wanted. If NCL can accommodate you, then they will. If the ship is sold out you may be stuck with a GTY room. Now that you know this, you can make better decisions and choose your room on future cruises.

Have the best time ever!