Mahogany Bay Question

Raxter54

Just curious - is Mahogany Bay a Carnival exclusive port? Cruise TT shows 5 ships at Roatan on Feb 3rd, when we will be there on the Dream. From the You Tube videos I've seen, the beach there is pretty crowded with just one ship, hate to see it if 5 cruise ships worth of passengers were there. :eek:

Mahogany Bay is Carnivals, just room for two ships. There is another terminal to the west, Coxen Hole and that would be where the other ships go to. If you want to go to a really nice beach and get away from carnival for a while go over to the west end of the island, it's beautiful,

Keep in mind that other lines owned by Carnival Corporation such as Princess also will dock there. Owned by Carnival in this case means the Corporation, not just Carnival Cruise Line.

Carnival. Go to West Bay beach and see one of those most beautiful beaches in the world.

Looked it up on Trip Advisor. Sounds like a great beach time, don't know if I would like all the beach vendors bothering us...

Edited by Raxter54

Looked it up on Trip Advisor. Sounds like a great beach time, don't know if I would like all the beach vendors bothering us...

We went to tabayana. Very beautiful beach. The only people selling anything were some locals selling shells. (She sells sea shells....sorry, couldn't resist) I bought a couple polished beautiful shells. (I've been to Mexico where the sales people bothered the U know what out of me) I honestly would recommend taking the carnival excursion. They have buses going back regularly so you can pick when to go. they have lounge chairs, security watching your stuff, and bar service.

We rent a driver for the day for about $20 pp. Takes us to see the monkeys, go get run cakes, takes us to West End, and stays with us at West Bay. We were never bothered by any vendors. We walked from Fosters down to Infinity Bay and hung out there. Rented snorkel gear from a nice vendor and swam out to see beautiful fish and reef. We love Roatan.

If you do the Tabyana Beach Excursion, you will get some protection from vendors as the Carnival area is staffed by "guards", who keep the vendors somewhat away. They will also keep an eye on your belongings if you go in the water or stroll down the beach. A few bucks as a tip will ensure that you won't be "bothered".

However, if you bring your lounger into the water, then be prepared to engage in some conversation with the locals. Amazing what one can learn that way. I've had wonderful chats about local conditions and customs through the simple give and take of language.

If you do the Tabyana Beach Excursion, you will get some protection from vendors as the Carnival area is staffed by "guards", who keep the vendors somewhat away. They will also keep an eye on your belongings if you go in the water or stroll down the beach. A few bucks as a tip will ensure that you won't be "bothered".

However, if you bring your lounger into the water, then be prepared to engage in some conversation with the locals. Amazing what one can learn that way. I've had wonderful chats about local conditions and customs through the simple give and take of language.

Is Tabyana Beach more or less crowded than the beach at Mahogany Bay?

Tabyana Beach is West Bay beach. That is the Carnival excursion area and there is a group there but not as bad as Mahogany. Most of West Bay beach is not crowded. You don't want to miss the real Roatan. Enjoy.

Edited by BrotherCraig

I've read that the reef is a short swim from West Bay/Tabyana Beach. Exactly what is their definition of a 'short swim'?

You should probably check out the Roatan and the Snorkel CC pages. There were some threads that discussed West Bay snorkeling. We are (hopefully) headed there next Feb.

We brought our own snorkel gear with us and snorkeled at the Mahogany Bay beach for free. Walk out the long pier at the end of the beach, get in on the swim platform side and swim just a little further out, maybe 50-100 ft at most to the coral. I was surrounded by tons of colorful tropical fish. I wish I had brought an underwater camera !!

We did the Extreme Zipline, they suit you up at the terminal, and the last zip leaves you right at the beach. Then we walked back onto the ship for lunch. After lunch, we walked back down there. I guess the beach was crowded, I don't really know, as we didn't hang on the beach. There were 2 ships when we were there. The snorkeling was not crowded at all.

We were only there from 8-3. If I remember correctly, our zipline was 10am. We certainly didn't have to rush to get off the ship. It was nice doing everything right there. Even with the zip, lunch on the ship, changing clothes, snorkeling, and coming back to the ship, I still had plenty of time and was back at the ship early, I could have spent more time down there.

My husband already has his own snorkel & dive gear. I got the US Divers set they sell at Costco right after Christmas for $40 - fins, mask, snorkel, gear bag. It seems to be very high quality for amateur gear with lots of premium features. We also bought snorkel vests from a dive shop, but didn't need or use them, the water was very calm.

I've read that the reef is a short swim from West Bay/Tabyana Beach. Exactly what is their definition of a 'short swim'?

My wife cannot swim and she walked pretty far out and saw a lot of great fish with the snorkel gear. I swam out just a little bit further and saw some of the reef. If you go down to the south part of the beach, in front of Infinity Bay (you will see the rock), you will be at the best part.

My wife cannot swim and she walked pretty far out and saw a lot of great fish with the snorkel gear. I swam out just a little bit further and saw some of the reef. If you go down to the south part of the beach, in front of Infinity Bay (you will see the rock), you will be at the best part.

Exactly. At this point of the beach there are arrow guides under the water to point you in the right direction. You can also follow the white flotation markers that define a path through the reef.

It is only a short swim from chest high water to the reef in front of Infinity.