drink price changes

splintz

i noticed on my last cruise 3/29/15 on the pride some changes in the drink prices. two of the higher end wines hess select and the other one i can't remember that were $9.75 a glass were now $10.25 a glass. conveniently taking them out of range for the cheers program. my wife drinks wine and likes the hess select. we did not have the cheers program on this cruise because we had the kids with us. also we were told you couldn't buy a bottle of hess select any more unless you did the wine package. also i noticed when i ordered a dirty martini with grey goose at the alchemy bar i was charged $10.25. which i thought was odd because all the drink prices there i thought were $9.95. i was on the cheers program on my last cruise 1/24/15 on the glory and bought a lot of drinks at the alchemy bar including dirty martini's with grey goose.(i never saw them use any other vodka besides grey goose at the alchemy bar) so i wouldn't think it was an up sell.

also i noticed looking at the bar menu's in all the bars. they don't have a page showing the prices of alcohol. there used to be a page that showed all the different gin's they had and what each cost. then all the rum's, tequila, etc. now it just has a beer list, a wine list, and all the specialty drinks they make. so i'm not sure if the prices were also raised on hard liquor drinks.

I'm on a cruise in 2016.. We plan on getting the cheers program. Are there certain drinks that arent covered in this program? We drink margaritas..I don't like beer or wine, so mixed cocktails are all I drink. When I read about the Cheers program all I saw was a limit on the # you were allowed in a 24 hr period.

i noticed on my last cruise 3/29/15 on the pride some changes in the drink prices. two of the higher end wines hess select and the other one i can't remember that were $9.75 a glass were now $10.25 a glass. conveniently taking them out of range for the cheers program. my wife drinks wine and likes the hess select. we did not have the cheers program on this cruise because we had the kids with us. also we were told you couldn't buy a bottle of hess select any more unless you did the wine package. also i noticed when i ordered a dirty martini with grey goose at the alchemy bar i was charged $10.25. which i thought was odd because all the drink prices there i thought were $9.95. i was on the cheers program on my last cruise 1/24/15 on the glory and bought a lot of drinks at the alchemy bar including dirty martini's with grey goose.(i never saw them use any other vodka besides grey goose at the alchemy bar) so i wouldn't think it was an up sell.

also i noticed looking at the bar menu's in all the bars. they don't have a page showing the prices of alcohol. there used to be a page that showed all the different gin's they had and what each cost. then all the rum's, tequila, etc. now it just has a beer list, a wine list, and all the specialty drinks they make. so i'm not sure if the prices were also raised on hard liquor drinks.

If true, these are more examples of tweaking the #'s by the forensic accounting department at Carnival. Seems to be a lot of tweaks going on including: MDR item up charge offerings, RS menu shuffling and new up charge offerings. I won't be totally surprised if they shifted pricing on some wine/alcohol to move them out of the Cheers drink inclusive offering. Thanks for your post. It gives people a heads up to pay attention about Cheers or no Cheers and various possible new exceptions to the program.

Edited by eponym

If true, these are more examples of tweaking the #'s by the forensic accounting department at Carnival. Seems to be a lot of tweaks going on including: MDR item up charge offerings, RS menu shuffling and new up charge offerings. I won't be totally surprised if they shifted pricing on some wine/alcohol to move them out of the Cheers drink inclusive offering. Thanks for your post. It gives people a heads up to pay attention about Cheers or no Cheers and various possible new exceptions to the program.

People need to let Carnival know that they don't like these sneaky money-making tricks and not order RS stuff that costs money, or MDR options that cost money. I would figure out another drink or drinks to drink that are under $10 too.

With cheers there is no tip added to drink price. A $9.75 drink is only $9.75 and covered with the cheers the extra .50 cents is the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you!!

[emoji3]

I'm on a cruise in 2016.. We plan on getting the cheers program. Are there certain drinks that arent covered in this program? We drink margaritas..I don't like beer or wine, so mixed cocktails are all I drink. When I read about the Cheers program all I saw was a limit on the # you were allowed in a 24 hr period.

i also love margaritas! they have an ultimate margarita which is one of their classic cocktails is still $8.75 and is good. it is a double shot of tequila. but this has changed recently also. it was always jose quevo 1800 resposado tequila. now the tequila used is el jimador. the bar menu's on the pride actually have the change written on them. it is a inferior tequila compared to 1800 but the drink is still good. they have a really good margarita at the blue iquana called the blues patron margarita for $10.95 which has a double shot of patron and patron citronge and fresh squeezed lime juice. but of course it is over the cheers mark.

Well that just stinks! I'm sure their margaritas at Zblue Iguana are at least that! Anyone know for sure how much they are? Thanks!

they are all $8.75 except for the blues patron margarita which is $10.95

With cheers there is no tip added to drink price. A $9.75 drink is only $9.75 and covered with the cheers the extra .50 cents is the tip

the prices i mentioned before where the menu prices and then the tip was added on. the wine was listed in the menu as $10.25 not $9.75. then i paid the 15% tip on top of that because i wasn't on the cheers program for a total of $11.79. if i was on the cheers i couldn't even order it anymore due to it being over $10.

you can not order a double shot individual drink on the cheers program like a double jack and coke. you can only get the single shot drink in the small glass. but i spent a lot of time in the EA sports bar and noticed people ordering double shot drinks on the cheers program because there is a drink on the EA sports bar menu called the double play which costs $8.75. you can order a double of the following liquors jim beam, captain morgan, bacardi rum, skyy vodka, and seagrams 7. you can get them straight up, on the rocks or with a mixer. so if you drink one of these 5 liquors you can get them with a double shot in a tall glass on the cheers program and it counts as 1 drink towards your number. it is kind of a loop hole. but only on the ships with the EA sports bar.

I am interested in the replies, I am going this weekend on the pride and was buying cheers and also drink grey goose or ketle 1 and these were under $10.

have a great cruise. this was my 4th cruise on the pride. and it was my first cruise on her with the 2.0 improvements. i love the pride. if you have any questions let me know i will try to answer them:)

well maybe if we ask jkodko very nicely they can take pictures of the new pride drink menu that has the new wine prices and the missing liquor page. and post it for you. they will be on the pride in 4 days. so if you could would you post it please.

these are price changes that i observed with my own 2 eyes and not something i heard from a source. but i have a feeling even if the new bar menu was posted you would still find some reason not to believe it. so why don't you book a cruise on the pride and see for your self. then you could personally CONFIRM it for everyone.

I will try to remember! [emoji6]

I will try to remember! [emoji6]

thank you if you could. i hate when i just try to give a heads up on something i experienced. then basically pretty much be called a liar by someone.

and don't forget if you have any questions about the boat let me know:)

the prices i mentioned before where the menu prices and then the tip was added on. the wine was listed in the menu as $10.25 not $9.75. then i paid the 15% tip on top of that because i wasn't on the cheers program for a total of $11.79. if i was on the cheers i couldn't even order it anymore due to it being over $10.

That's how I read your OP. Some popular drink base prices shifted above the $10 line.

So how do you know if your preferred booze falls within the Cheers Program or not? I'm gonna be pissed if I purchase the Cheers Program only to find out that my liquor of choice isn't included and I have to pay additional for a decent glass of scotch or vodka.

Only a 5% tip on a $9.75 drink instead of 15%?

Bartenders I imagine aren't to thrilled.

Bill

So how do you know if your preferred booze falls within the Cheers Program or not? I'm gonna be pissed if I purchase the Cheers Program only to find out that my liquor of choice isn't included and I have to pay additional for a decent glass of scotch or vodka.

Just ask the price point of what you drink before you purchase cheerers.

That's the $1,000,000 question. As they move prices for established drinks up to and above the $10 line, they will drop off Cheers eligibility.

Potentially like chasing round and round.

Everyone that uses Cheers or is considering Cheers for their next cruise is trying to figure out what impact the changes will have. Like most things people will have to go and experience it at their cruise time, on their cruise ship. The 4.x million carnival cruisers that don't use this board, but love the Cheers program, may be irritated if their liquor has moved up the price scale and out of reach on the Cheers program they once enjoyed.

To build interest and increase revenue through use of the Cheers program, the management of the Cheers program (Bar, F&B and revenue leadership), for the first few years of program launch probably authorized more alcoholic drinks previously hovering around $10 made available. After a few years run the consumption numbers and tweak up the price of some of more frequently drank higher cost brands in an effort to optimize revenue and profit. Maybe the wine and alcohol prices that are going up on Carnival ships are in fact going up worldwide.

I am not a drinker, I don't know.