drink price changes

splintz

thank you if you could. i hate when i just try to give a heads up on something i experienced. then basically pretty much be called a liar by someone.

and don't forget if you have any questions about the boat let me know:)

You are not a liar, I was just on the pride and drink prices have gone up.. I was on two cruises last year and the prices are certainly higher on most items.

The cheaper wine santa Carolina was 5.50 last june, its now 6.50.... and yes hess select has also gone up.. so has the beer prices. One of the waiters advised me the prices have gone up twice in the last 6months.. There are still most drinks under 10.00, but who knows for how long.. And no, I did not take a picture of the drink menu... so I guess they can call me a liar also

Yeah, I guess that should work. Sounds easy if you don't drink too much variety during the week.

Unfortunately that's what we are stuck with, I guess I will find out in 3 days. Either way I'm going to have a great time cruising instead of dealing with work and western NY weather!

please tell me exactly where prices do not change? the only constant in life is CHANGE and uping prices happens all the time....especially in the supermarket? (bought a candy bar lately? tried to buy "penny candy")...geez people, the prices of drinks has gone up every time I have cruised....just like the cost of almost everything else!

please tell me exactly where prices do not change? the only constant in life is CHANGE and uping prices happens all the time....especially in the supermarket? (bought a candy bar lately? tried to buy "penny candy")...geez people, the prices of drinks has gone up every time I have cruised....just like the cost of almost everything else!

Thank you for your well balanced, thought out response.:)

Bill

We were on a b2b Jan/Feb. We were able to get the Hess wine on the 1st cruise for free (we had the drinks on us card). However, on the 2nd cruise (Feb. 1), the Hess wine went up to $10.25 and we could no longer get it for free.

Maybe they should do tight by the cruisers and raise the max limit on the Cheers program to coincide with the new drink prices ..WITHOUT raising the purchase price of the Cheers program! Wishful thinking I know, but One can only hope. Maybe a bunch of complaints from cruisers would influence them???

We're sailing on the Magic in September and we're actually considering buying the Cheers program for the first time. Guess we won't now.

I think you can actually buy the cheers program the first night or even the second day and that would give you time to look about the ship and check out the bars and see if it will be worth it.

Edited by smyliecruising

Yes, that'll be good for us. We're really unsure. We usually just drink a few buckets of beer a day, and I might have one drink of the day. I was interested in trying more cocktails and martinis on our upcoming cruise. I hope they haven't priced the mixed drinks out of the Cheers program.

I think you can actually buy the cheers program the first night or even the second day and that would give you time to look about the ship and check out the bars and see if it will be worth it.

Thank you for your well balanced, thought out response.:)

Bill

My point is not to pick on the poster, it's just to make a point.

I differ. I don't think that its well balanced and thought out. In the context of the Cheers alcohol drinking program, I thought I had read that the program itself has had rate increases. Combine those rate up with now ALSO moving certain drink prices out of the range of the Cheers previously acceptable range and you have an aggressive example of squeezing the consumer from both ends.

American's and the U.S. economy are driven by constant demand for quality and lower costs for goods and services. When a new item emerges onto the market, it generally takes several years to get the manufacturing costs down so more people can buy it and they do if it is a good item or service. When more people buy it, there is increased competition that drives costs down further and create further competing options. On a cruise ship (or other vessel) there is nothing competing for the consumer spend other than variety offered by the cruise company itself. It's self perpetuating and 100% controlled market.

So, comparing anything open market to the closed economy of a ship doesn't seem that thought out.

Sail on!

Edited by eponym

Sorry to inquire further on this......but here we go!

I'm leaving on the 13th on the Inspiration. Being that the cruise stays so close to the coast I am wondering if this will apply to ALL of our beverages we have on the CHEERS package?

(This is cut & pasted from Carrnivals FAQ)

• Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this package is used within US waters. The tax is based on the particular state’s tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily package rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest’s Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call)

We are really on the fence on this package at this point! Maybe I've read too much into things, but we do enjoy a few beverages and hope it will be worth the package!

I see from previous repies that others have recently been on the same cruise so any inside would be great!

One more question that I haven't been able to locate yet is are liquours included in the CHEERS?

Edited by flychick737

Sorry to inquire further on this......but here we go!

I'm leaving on the 13th on the Inspiration. Being that the cruise stays so close to the coast I am wondering if this will apply to ALL of our beverages we have on the CHEERS package?

(This is cut & pasted from Carrnivals FAQ)

• Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this package is used within US waters. The tax is based on the particular state’s tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily package rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest’s Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call)

We are really on the fence on this package at this point! Maybe I've read too much into things, but we do enjoy a few beverages and hope it will be worth the package!

I see from previous repies that others have recently been on the same cruise so any inside would be great!

One more question that I haven't been able to locate yet is are liquours included in the CHEERS?

Here is our most recent experience with taxes charged on drinks on that same cruise.

We just went on the Inspiration 4 night. We departed Long Beach on-time (about 5:30 give or take) and we purchased the Cheers Program when we got on the ship.

On Monday (departure day), we paid tax on the drinks we bought until 6:30, so my guess is that is about when we made it out of port far enough to not be subject to California tax on the drinks.

On Tuesday, we were in the port at Catalina Island early, so the pre-tendering drink was taxed, and we paid tax on the drinks we bought when we returned to the ship (we didn't stay on Catalina Island very long). We departed Catalina Island about 5:00, and continued to pay tax on drinks until about 6:00, so again, I guess that is when we were far enough out of port to not be subject to California tax on our drinks.

As the FAQ says, once we were out of US waters (after we left Catalina Island) there was no tax on any of our drinks the remainder of the cruise.

In total, we spent $18.81 in taxes on drinks we had before leaving Long Beach and while in the port at Catalina Island.

Keep in mind that with or without the Cheers Program you will pay tax on the drinks you have before leaving Long Beach and while in the port at Catalina Island.

As for the liquors, I had a list at one time of all the drink prices, but I would hate to give you bad information based on that list if there has been a change in pricing. On this most recent cruise the most expensive Cordial or Liqueur listed on the menu was $6.50. By way of example, Grand Mariner was $6.50, Midori was $5.95, as was Cointreau. All were included in the Cheers Program.

Have a great cruise.

Prices will keep going up until people get tired of paying their inflated prices and quit booking cruises. Supply and demand...

I pay for the cruise... I'm not going to allow them to screw me over any more with their inflated drink prices. I have been known to pick up a bottle of rum at the duty free store prior to the flight and drink rum screwdrivers for the entire cruise. :)

Thanks Rod in AZ! That is the exact info I was looking for!

Do you feel you got a good 'value' from the Cheers package?

I've cruised a ton - most recently on HAL and Costa. Costa's AI package is AMAZING and a total steal! HAL's is still prices out of my range for the value, but they have a great corkage program for wine so I pack along a case of my favorite red and pay $18/bottle corkage to have it in the dining room....they all have a little here or a little there that are one up from the others!!

I've only cruised once on Carnival about 12 years ago, it wasn't a good experience (10 day leaving San Juan) but I'm ready to try a shorty with them out of the West Coast hoping for a better experience! The price was right so I'm hoping it will be a fun get away!!

Thanks Rod in AZ! That is the exact info I was looking for!

Do you feel you got a good 'value' from the Cheers package?

The price was right so I'm hoping it will be a fun get away!!

You are welcome flychick. I hope you ave a great cruise on the Inspiration. We enjoy the short break from reality. Since we can drive to Long Beach from Arizona in about 4 hours, it is the perfect get-a-way for us.

We have used the Cheers Program on each cruise we have taken since it became available, and feel like it has always been a good "value" for us. Some days we partake more than others, but overall we save money on our drinks by participating in the program.

i also love margaritas! they have an ultimate margarita which is one of their classic cocktails is still $8.75 and is good. it is a double shot of tequila. but this has changed recently also. it was always jose quevo 1800 resposado tequila. now the tequila used is el jimador. the bar menu's on the pride actually have the change written on them. it is a inferior tequila compared to 1800 but the drink is still good. they have a really good margarita at the blue iquana called the blues patron margarita for $10.95 which has a double shot of patron and patron citronge and fresh squeezed lime juice. but of course it is over the cheers mark.

You're making me thirsty just reading this! I'm a margarita lover too. I'm disappointed to read that the ultimate margarita has changed tequilas. That is one of my favorites.

My one wish with cheers is if it was over the $10 you just paid the difference for example ... A 12 drink you pay the $2! It would probably make them more money.

Also... When you order a drink on cheers are you suppose to tip when you order or is it charged to your account?

My one wish with cheers is if it was over the $10 you just paid the difference for example ... A 12 drink you pay the $2! It would probably make them more money.

You read my mind! Personally, we don't do the Cheers program as we don't drink enough to make it worthwhile, but I hate to see the prices go up because of the program.

You read my mind! Personally, we don't do the Cheers program as we don't drink enough to make it worthwhile, but I hate to see the prices go up because of the program.

We aren't big drinkers either. However we might do it this cruise because it's just the two of us and you only need 6 drinks a day to break even. And we are bringing gambling money :)

Very interesting thread. And thanks for the heads up. By any chance does anyone have a recent menus with the increase? If they want to raise the prices then just raise the price of the cheers program. Sailing in a week and am pretty sure we want to buy the program but the raised prices may have us think twice.

TIA.

Also... When you order a drink on cheers are you suppose to tip when you order or is it charged to your account?

i also wish that was the case. i am currently shopping for a cruise in december. i have been getting offers from ncl. in the offer it includes a free drink package. when i looked up the drink package i think they call it unlimited drink package. it had no limit. and included drinks up to $11 and if you buy a drink over $11 you just pay the difference in price. that is the way a drink package should work. i'm still up in the air on which cruise to pick. probably go with carnival again still cheaper in the long run.

with the tipping. when you purchase the cheers program you also pay gratuity on top of the cheers cost. i think it is like $50 a person. and this goes into the bartender tip pool. but when i get the cheers program i usually bring a bunch of ones and give them to the bartenders when i get the drinks. that way the bartender can put that money right in their pocket. they seem to really appreciate that. but either way you don't have to tip them when you get the drinks on cheers because you did pay the tip up front.

Update: I am on the pride: Hess select is $10.25 - kettle one and grey goose $7.95 w/ water as per our bartender Oleg at ea sports bar. Do not have a pic. Will try to post for you when I get back. It is not on those menu. I know I paid 9.95 last year for three kettle, I don't think it went down. Not on this menu. Will update .... Have a good week

Update: I am on the pride: Hess select is $10.25 - kettle one and grey goose $7.95 w/ water as per our bartender Oleg at ea sports bar. Do not have a pic. Will try to post for you when I get back. It is not on those menu. I know I paid 9.95 last year for three kettle, I don't think it went down. Not on this menu. Will update .... Have a good week

The ketle 1 not three lol

I have no problem with the raising of drink prices- as long as the "up to" price limit is increased within the Cheers Package. When prices are raised to intentionally "knock" a once covered drink out of the package limit, people get angry- as the should.

Tony