Laundry Facilities at Princess Lodges

pklein9747

Does anyone remember if there are laundry facilities at Princess' Mt. McKinley Lodge? I have looked at the fact sheet for the lodge, but don't see it listed. It would be a great place for us to catch up on some laundry as we have some extra time there.

The guest rooms at the McKinley Princess are located in a number of separate buildings. It is my recollection that while there are some self-service laundry facilities that they are not available in every building. We were in a guest room at far end of the complex of buildings, and while it did have an ice machine I don't think it had guest laundry facilities. I just remember thinking that it could be quite the hike, carrying a load of laundry, from some of those buildings -- particularly if it was raining.

In order to get current info, call their 800 number. They may not have had one last yr but may have added it, or VV.

Please report back as I'm others would like to know.

Call for reservations and information 1 (800) 426-0500

According to the information provided on the phone, Princess McKinley Lodge does NOT have laundry facilities. This is a shame as it is the one place where we do not have all our time taken up with activities.

Thanks, MapleLeaves, for the phone number! You have been a wealth of information for us while planning our trip!

I thought there was another thread that indicated that self service laundry facilities are available at the Princess lodges.

I also saw this information when doing a dummy look at Princess lodges to get more information. It showed that self serve laundry is available.

Perhaps the person at Princess thought someone was asking about laundry service instead of self serve laundry?

Can anyone who has stayed at either the McKinley or Denali Princess lodge shed some light on this?

Thanks

I thought there was another thread that indicated that self service laundry facilities are available at the Princess lodges.

I also saw this information when doing a dummy look at Princess lodges to get more information. It showed that self serve laundry is available.

Perhaps the person at Princess thought someone was asking about laundry service instead of self serve laundry?

Can anyone who has stayed at either the McKinley or Denali Princess lodge shed some light on this?

Thanks

In July 2012, I did laundry at the Denali Princess Lodge. I can't recall if there were laundry facilities at the McKinley Lodge at that time or not.

On the Princess Lodges web site there is a 'fact sheet' for each lodge.

The Denali Princess indicates a guest laundy as does the Kenai Princess. The McKinley does not mention a guest laundry.

The plot thickens -- we stayed one night at the Princess McKinley Lodge, and while I didn't use the facilities I am pretty sure that there are self-service laundry facilities (but not in every guest room building). I just did a google search using a search phrase of "self-service laundry facilities at Princess McKinley Lodge, Trapper Creek, Alaska." An informational page from the web site address http://www.alaskacruisesdirect.com popped up titled "Everything You Need to Know about the McKinley Wilderness Lodge." The list of amenities includes not only such items as shuttle service to Talkeetna but also "coin-operated laundry."

Went to TripAdvisor to check some reviews on the Mt.McKinley Lodge. Several from 2014 mention a self-service laundry including this one, "The building we were in and the one next to us both had laundry facilities ($2/load to wash and $2/load to dry - in quarters)." So I'm inclined to think that they do have a self-service laundry. Think I'll try calling Princess several more times to try to get a correct answer.

sounds like a few more calls to Princess might be a good plan!

At this point the fact sheet could be wrong and the Princess rep could be wrong, or maybe they're both right.

Maybe you won't know for sure until the May travellers return from McKinley.

Good luck!

I was there two years ago and I used their laundry facilities. Had to, went horseback riding, in the rain and I couldn't stand to be around me. It was in the building that my room was in. I can't say if it was in every building but it was in the one I was in.

Be sure to bring your own laundry soap and dryer sheets. I brought Tide Pods and Bounce sheets. I didn't use them all and people offered to buy my extras from me. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Update...I emailed the general manager of the Princess McKinley Lodge and got this response:

"We have several quarter operated laundry facilities amongst our guest rooms. Currently it is $1.25 for washing and $1.25 for drying. There is also detergent available for purchase in the laundry rooms. Quarters are available at the front desk. I hope this helps.

Rick Peterson

General Manager

Mt McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge"

This is great to know! I recommended to him that they update the Fact Sheet on their website to include the self-serve laundry.

pklein: We are preparing for a quick in-state trip and actually have reservations at the Princess McKinley for one night later this month. It is a convenient stop on our drive from Seward back home to Fairbanks. I remembered the thread you had started and checking the laundry facilities was actually on my list!

Thank you for the information. I was wondering about that. I tried to call a month or so and ask but they were not open for the season yet. We are going horseback riding there so I know we will need to do laundry so the rest of our clothes do not stink. Thanks again for posting.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone remember if there are laundry facilities at Princess' Mt. McKinley Lodge? ...

We just returned home to Fairbanks after a trip down to Seward. We stayed again at the Princess McKinley Lodge as its location is a good place to stop on the drive from Seward to Fairbanks.

I saved the property map, and according to it, coin-operated guest laundry facilities are in guest buildings 14, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, and 25. I checked the facilities in building 14, and on the day we were there the cost was $2.00 for one wash load and also $2.00 for a load in the dryer. The detergent cost $1.25. So the costs were different from the costs quoted by the manager on May 5th.

I should also comment that I would not be surprised if the prices varied between buildings as they seemed to be highly disorganized (our reservation had been "lost by the computer" as had the reservation of another couple also checking in at the same time, and once the front desk manager had sorted out our reservation issues we were issued a key to a room which was already occupied).