NCL called me! RSC clarification.

gwsster

:) I had a message on my phone this morning from "Dawn" from NCL. She left a call back number with the reason she was calling, so I called her back. She wanted to clarify the room service charge per the postings on CC and the FB site.

Dawn stated that as far as she knows the RSC is a 2 week trial on 2 of their ships and is only for the full entrees (hot meals). The Continental breakfast will continue to be served at NO additional charge in the mornings. This confirms what another CC poster listed with photo's of the full menu and the door card for the Continental breakfast. She did not know if this was going to go Fleet wide as this information has not been communicated to them as of yet. Remember she is the messenger, not the CEO, we don't shoot the messenger here.....Don't shoot me either.

I have another call into NCL regarding some follow up verification questions that I thought of after I got off the phone.

1. Full Suites and Havens RSC waived or just the Havens?

2. ADA, RSC waived if there is a disability issue?

3. How did NCL handle the issue with those on the BA and GA who weren't happy with the surprise RSC?

4. If NCL does continues the RSC for full menu fare Fleet wide, how will this be communicated to those with a future booking?

Dawn (sp) was pleasant, professional and listened to my concerns. My issue was with the way NCL rolled out of the charges without prior notification to current guests on board the Getaway and Breakaway. She understood my concern about the RSC roll out that could have / should have been communicated better. I suggest it would be NICE if there could be a NEWS window icon/window on the NCL website. The NEWS window would inform cruisers of changes regarding status of specific cruises and rate changes and updated weekly. It is better to get the news (good or bad) directly from NCL in my opinion.

If I hear back, I will add the answers to the above questions.

We have all read the LONG posts regarding this issue, so I think that the call from NCL was a positive step in improving communication.

“A little Consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference.“

― Winnie the Pooh

Thanks for the post and I will look forward to any more info you get.

PS-I called NCL today to cash in credit card points for OBC and the rep and I talked a bit while waiting for transaction to go through. He understood my concerns about lack of communication and methods of new changes...and offered to pass my comments to his superiors. Thought that was good of him..and he really did not have to offer..which means he was going to do it...of course not sure those above him will care..but he did...;)

Thanks very much for sharing this information. I look forward to any new information in regards to your follow up questions.

Rochelle

Thanks Rochelle! and thanks for not shooting me!:)

Thanks for the post and I will look forward to any more info you get.

PS-I called NCL today to cash in credit card points for OBC and the rep and I talked a bit while waiting for transaction to go through. He understood my concerns about lack of communication and methods of new changes...and offered to pass my comments to his superiors. Thought that was good of him..and he really did not have to offer..which means he was going to do it...of course not sure those above him will care..but he did...;)

That is good news indeed Ja Ja. A customer service person has so much to deal with trying to explain the decisions made by the higher ups. I am glad that this PC rep was able to help you and understand your point of view. It takes a special person to act as a CSR and not let everything drive them nuts.

Sounds like another customer service rep giving out misinformation...and it's likely not her fault, so I'm not blaming the rep.

There's a lot on the menu that falls in between "continental breakfast" and what you're calling "full entrees (hot meals)". NCL is also imposing the service fee on those "in between" items too, based on every other communication put out by NCL.

The hint in the conversation was when the rep said "as far as she knows." NCL has done a horrible job explaining this situation to its telephone reps and the "as far as she knows" tells me that she's just communicating what she heard rather than something she got from official documentation provided by NCL to its reps.

Look at the FAQ http://www.ncl.com/faq#norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service . Note that the only exemption is for continental breakfast. (Also a total exemption for Haven guests.)

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you for sharing your experience (as I did with the email I received).

I applaud NCL for acting on the criticism it has received for the poor way they handled the room service fee "test".

Although I do agree it could have been handled better in the first place, they seem to be trying to fix it now. Maybe now they are starting by notifying the TA's first and then notifying those traveling on BA and GA in the next few weeks afterward.

After all, if the "test" doesn't pan out to be a fleet wide roll out, why should they get everyone in an uproar?

Just my thoughts, please don't shoot me either.

Sounds like another customer service rep giving out misinformation...and it's likely not her fault, so I'm not blaming the rep.

There's a lot on the menu that falls in between "continental breakfast" and what you're calling "full entrees (hot meals)". NCL is also imposing the service fee on those "in between" items too, based on every other communication put out by NCL.

The hint in the conversation was when the rep said "as far as she knows." NCL has done a horrible job explaining this situation to its telephone reps and the "as far as she knows" tells me that she's just communicating what she heard rather than something she got from official documentation provided by NCL to its reps.

Look at the FAQ http://www.ncl.com/faq#norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service . Note that the only exemption is for continental breakfast. (Also a total exemption for Haven guests.)

If you look at the other thread, there is a picture of the continental breakfast card that goes on the room door. The coffee, juice, pastries and cereal items on the DOOR CARD are STILL complimentary and free of a RSC. The FULL menu in the room will incur a RSC. To figure this out, IF you call the room service from your room phone using the full menu, ordering any item you will incur the RSC per order. If you use the door card, put your request on your door the night before you can get a basic continental breakfast delivered to your room with no RSC. This is according to the woman I spoke with, she seemed well informed. I doubt it was her intention to lie to me about a cup of coffee and a pastry delivered to my room. Some things you just have to take with a leap of faith and a cup of coffee....(yeah I know it's coming)

Edited by gwsster

That is good news indeed Ja Ja. A customer service person has so much to deal with trying to explain the decisions made by the higher ups. I am glad that this PC rep was able to help you and understand your point of view. It takes a special person to act as a CSR and not let everything drive them nuts.

Yes...I was impressed that he offered to pass my comments along (unsolicited by me) ...he did not BS me with lots of misinformation or dismiss what I was saying...he did not "read from a script" or try to appease me with empty platitudes...he seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. Very refreshing.

I guess it helped that my call was not to complain and that my concerns just came up in conversation. I did not complain about raising prices, etc..but rather the lack of communication, not updating website in a timely and "readable" manner and how that all is indicative of lack of respect for the customer.

I applaud NCL for acting on the criticism it has received for the poor way they handled the room service fee "test".

Although I do agree it could have been handled better in the first place, they seem to be trying to fix it now. Maybe now they are starting by notifying the TA's first and then notifying those traveling on BA and GA in the next few weeks afterward.

After all, if the "test" doesn't pan out to be a fleet wide roll out, why should they get everyone in an uproar?

Bang Bang! Thanks for the sense of humor. I am glad that NCL is responding to the CC threads and FB comments. I wanted to let other CC members know that CC is being read and that NCL is concerned enough to call members (me) to clarify the RSC changes. I have always has a great time on my cruises and will continue to expect great cruises from NCL. NCL heard me and responded, that gives them points in my opinion. They know we have choices in cruising and really want their customers to enjoy the experience and return for a future cruise.

If you look at the other thread, there is a picture of the continental breakfast card that goes on the room door. The coffee, juice, pastries and cereal items on the DOOR CARD are STILL complimentary and free of a RSC. The FULL menu in the room will incur a RSC. To figure this out, IF you call the room service from your room phone using the full menu, ordering any item you will incur the RSC per order. If you use the door card, put your request on your door the night before you can get a basic continental breakfast delivered to your room with no RSC. This is according to the woman I spoke with, she seemed well informed. I doubt it was her intention to lie to me about a cup of coffee and a pastry delivered to my room. Some things you just have to take with a leap of faith and a cup of coffee....(yeah I know it's coming)

I know what the menus have on them. The menu you're referring to as incurring a service charge have a lot more than what you described as "full entrees (hot meals)", which is what you didn't account for in your post, and apparently the rep didn't properly describe or state.

Where did I say "it was her intention to lie" ? In fact I said just the opposite. My opening sentence included the following..."and it's likely not her fault, so I'm not blaming the rep" . Later in my post I laid blame on NCL for failing to properly inform their reps.

Why do you want to ignore the written information provided by NCL to clarify the situation in favor of what phone rep told you? It's not smart choice given the long history of NCL reps giving out misinformation on the phone because they're poorly trained.

Joann, the picture of the menu's are on the other thread you started :) The real story behind the Room Service Charges on page 2. Kind CC poster EROLLER listed them for anyone reading this and needs clarification on the free breakfast door card and the full room service menu.

I know what the menus have on them. The menu you're referring to as incurring a service charge have a lot more than what you described as "full entrees (hot meals)", which is what you didn't account for in your post, and apparently the rep didn't properly describe or state.

Where did I say "it was her intention to lie" ? In fact I said just the opposite. My opening sentence included the following..."and it's likely not her fault, so I'm not blaming the rep" . Later in my post I laid blame on NCL for failing to properly inform their reps.

Why do you want to ignore the written information provided by NCL to clarify the situation in favor of what phone rep told you? It's not smart choice given the long history of NCL reps giving out misinformation on the phone because they're poorly trained.

Forgive me for trusting the rep and the pictures of the menu's posted by EROLLER that show the difference between menu's that incur a charge and the complimentary menu on a door card that will be free for continental breakfast only. Honestly, I tried. It was MY perception that I thought Dawn was trying to be as accurate as possible, hence MY comment that I didn't think she was telling a tale, it wasn't about anything anyone else said.

Edited by gwsster

:) Dawn stated that as far as she knows the RSC is a 2 week trial on 2 of their ships and is only for the full entrees (hot meals). The Continental breakfast will continue to be served at NO additional charge in the mornings. This confirms what another CC poster listed with photo's of the full menu and the door card for the Continental breakfast. She did not know if this was going to go Fleet wide as this information has not been communicated to them as of yet. Remember she is the messenger, not the CEO, we don't shoot the messenger here.....Don't shoot me either.

Too many now automatically shoot the messenger - much less one offering their opinion...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the factual update!

Too many now automatically shoot the messenger - much less one offering their opinion...:rolleyes:

I just wanted to pass on the fact that CC and FB was being heard. I was just trying to give information on the difference between the menu's as was communicated to me this morning. I tried....

Thanks Chuck.

Not factual. Misinformation...as is unfortunately the frequent result of a conversation with NCL customer service reps.

Forgive me for trusting the rep and the pictures of the menu's posted by EROLLER that show the difference between menu's that incur a charge and the complimentary menu on a door card that will be free for continental breakfast only. Honestly, I tried. It was MY perception that I thought Dawn was trying to be as accurate as possible, hence MY comment that I didn't think she was telling a tale, it wasn't about anything anyone else said.

It's not the pictures...it's your stating that the only items that incur the service charge are "full entrees (hot meals)". There is a lot more on the menu that incurs a service charge than what you described.

"Eroller" did not post the full room service menu. Eroller posted the old room service breakfast door hanger menu (the stuff that continues to not have a charge) and a beverage menu. The full room service menu has a lot more on it. Here's a link to it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46163754&postcount=1

I'm sorry you were misled by the customer service rep, but it's an old story...it happens over and over again.

Edited by njhorseman

It's not the pictures...it's your stating that the only items that incur the service charge are "full entrees (hot meals)". There is a lot more on the menu that incurs a service charge than what you described.

"Eroller" did not post the full room service menu. Eroller posted the old room service breakfast door hanger menu (the stuff that continues to not have a charge) and a beverage menu. The full room service menu has a lot more on it. Here's a link to it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46163754&postcount=1

I'm sorry you were misled by the customer service rep, but it's an old story...it happens over and over again.[/quote

I stand corrected. I am done.

OP:OP: ADA, RSC waived if there is a disability issue?

Why would NCL waive the service charge. Room service is a luxury.

The original NCL RS menu was nothing special anyway. And it has been confirmed that the basic items such as coffee, baked goods, ect... Are free of the RSC anyway.

The new items having never been offered before via RS is irrelevant to someone with a disability. Those with a disability, got along prior to this change just fine.

Unless I'm really missing the point of your proposed question to NCL, why should the fee be waived, where is the hardship?

The original NCL RS menu was nothing special anyway. And it has been confirmed that the basic items such as coffee, baked goods, ect... Are free of the RSC anyway.

The new items having never been offered before via RS is irrelevant to someone with a disability. Those with a disability, got along prior to this change just fine.

Unless I'm really missing the point of your proposed question to NCL, why should the fee be waived, where is the hardship?

You are correct this is a luxury.

ADA laws are required in most states and I was wondering if the law translated to cruise ship. I think it is a valid question.

I thought the same thing. Even with a disability, there are many, so how would they draw the line? As you stated, why should RSC be waived?

Correction ALL States...Word error.

I stand corrected again.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, where correcting someone is more important than contributing to the content of the discussion. Even when you are wrong. It's a case of argumentum ad ignorantiam all over these forums.

I know you, and know you worked with ADA law every day for quite a few years. And I know you know that the ADA, or any Federal law, is not applied the same in every state in every circumstance.

The answer is that foreign flagged cruise ships may or may not have ADA requirements while in an American port depending on the state. Because, indeed, the Federal ADA may not apply to cruise ships in certain states (but does in others).

The Fifth Circuit's decision in Spector v. Norwegian Cruise Lines, Ltd., 356 F.3d 641 (5th Cir. 2004), held that the ADA does not apply to foreign-flag cruise ships serving U.S. ports.

However, the Eleventh Circuit in Steven v. Premier Cruises, Inc., 215 F.3d 1237 (11th Cir. 2000) held that it did apply while the ship was in an American port.

I didn't find a Supreme Court or later ruling in either the Fifth or Eleventh Circuit that superseded these rulings, but it could be out there.

An NCL cruise ship in a port in the Fifth Circuit is NOT subject to the law (LA, MS and TX) but one in the Eleventh Circuit (AL, FL and GA) is subject to the ADA. All predicated on whether or not the above decisions have been overturned or superseded.

As to the other question, I know you were involved in ensuring that "reasonable accommodation" for those with disabilities was in place from the passage of the ADA in 1990 to some 15 - 20 years thereafter as part of your daily job. Those people are probably all dead now, but you lightened their burden when they needed it the most. And you are absolutely right, there may indeed be a policy, based on providing reasonable accommodation, that a company would put in place IF they were subject to the ADA and started a charge for a service previously free; it would all depend on their own policies and risk management guidelines from their lawyers and internal advocates. Because, as you know, the ADA empowers litigation from an aggrieved party.