Would you do this upsell?

Cruise4Real

We're booked in an aft Large balcony (a B1 cabin) on Norwegian Breakaway, which sails 9 days from now on April 19. Recently we received an email from NCL asking us if we'd accept an upsell to the Haven. They offered three different cabin types, Owners Suite (H3) for $1000 per person, 2-bedroom Family Villa (H4) for $1000 per person, and Penthouse w/ Balcony (H5) for $750 per person. We'd be most interested in moving up to the Family Villa, I don't think the Owners Suite is still available. There are lots of the Family Villas left though, like 14 this morning (out of 20).

We are really psyched about our huge B1 aft balcony, so no matter what happens we know we'll have an awesome cruise! But at the same time, it's the Haven (which we've never cruised in).

Soooooooooo....what do people think? If this was you, would you think $1000 per person would be worth the move? Or if not, what do you think would be a good per person price to offer for the Family Villa?

Depends on how many people are staying in your room. If it just 2 I would go with the Penthouse. If you have 3-4 then take the 2 bedroom. As an FYI I would take the OS as the other choices have tiny tiny balconies.

Ok just looked at availability, I would pass on the Penthouse (they are all deck 15).

Edited by iimmie

Are they going to include ...

NORWEGIAN'S

FREESTYLE CHOICE JUST IN!

1. FREE BEVERAGE PACKAGE

2. FREE DINING PACKAGE

3. FREE GRATUITIES

4. FREE SHORE EXCURSION CREDIT - NEW!

PLUS - FAMILY AND FRIENDS SAIL FREE

Book a Suite or The Haven and get all four offers for FREE!

...if you upgrade?

Depends on how many people are staying in your room. If it just 2 I would go with the Penthouse. If you have 3-4 then take the 2 bedroom. As an FYI I would take the OS as the other choices have tiny tiny balconies.

Ok just looked at availability, I would pass on the Penthouse (they are all deck 15).

We're just a couple, so no kids to worry about. We were thinking we'd rather be on 16 than 15, so we could be on the same deck as the Haven restaurant and courtyard.

The website says that the OS is available, but if you try to book it, you get a message that it's no longer there. We would book that one if we could, because of the larger balcony (otherwise the two cabins, H3 and H4, seem pretty similar -- ??). But I also figure that NCL won't be too eager to negotiate price on that one, given there's only one left, if that.

What do you think of their price? ($1000 per person to upgrade.) Do you have any experience in negotiating a better deal than the one they offer?

Thanks so much for your information!

NORWEGIAN'S

1. FREE BEVERAGE PACKAGE

2. FREE DINING PACKAGE

3. FREE GRATUITIES

...if you upgrade?

No, if they had that would have made our decision way easier!

From the way I read their email we would get to keep the UBP we originally booked with, but pretty sure we wouldn't get any of the other benefits you would get from making a new booking.

No they don't give you all the 4 promos. You only get what you initially booked (I called NCL). I was offered an upsell and only thought it would be worth it if I could have all the 4 promos. So I declined, as it was a substantial increase to the price of our cruise. Frankly asking another 1k per person is a lot! But if you compare the cost of the upsell to booking that room from the beginning, it's probably quite a good value. The penthouse is not that large compared to a balcony or mini suite, so you may as well go for something bigger.

No they don't give you all the 4 promos. You only get what you initially booked (I called NCL). I was offered an upsell and only thought it would be worth it if I could have all the 4 promos. So I declined, as it was a substantial increase to the price of our cruise. Frankly asking another 1k per person is a lot! But if you compare the cost of the upsell to booking that room from the beginning, it's probably quite a good value. The penthouse is not that large compared to a balcony or mini suite, so you may as well go for something bigger.

Yes, that was our thinking too -- that the Penthouse wasn't worth upgrading to because we'd have to give up our Large aft balcony. But all the extra space in the Family Villa is very enticing, plus then there are the perks for being in the Haven, too. That seems like it's worth something, the question then becomes, how much?

No promos?

Pass.

Well we'd be able to keep our UBP. But nothing new like free UDP or free shore excursions.

Would there be any price where you'd consider the upgrade? We're probably not interested in upgrading for the requested $1000 per person, but from reading about upsells on here it sounds like sometimes people are able to negotiate lower upsell prices.

What would it take to get you from your aft Large balcony and into a 2-bedroom Haven Family Villa? (trying to sound like a car salesman here!)

I would respond to the e-mail and see if the OS is still available. If not I would try and talk them down $250 pp on the Penthouse since your giving up your larger balcony. If they don't budge I would stay in the aft cabin. Remember they wouldn't be offering the upgrade if they weren't planning on selling your cabin to someone else for more than what you paid for it and the cost of upgrading you!

We stayed in a deck 15 Penthouse suite and actually liked it a lot. It was so quiet and private and all you did was go up the private steps and you were right in the Haven. We loved the location. Quiet and not a lot of traffic

Thanks Paphillyguy! We're thinking that we'd prefer the larger Family Villa suite, since the price difference between H4 and H5 wasn't very much on the upsell offer. Also thinking deck 16 would be nicer than 15 since it's where the restaurant and courtyard are located.

I would respond to the e-mail and see if the OS is still available. If not I would try and talk them down $250 pp on the Penthouse since your giving up your larger balcony. If they don't budge I would stay in the aft cabin. Remember they wouldn't be offering the upgrade if they weren't planning on selling your cabin to someone else for more than what you paid for it and the cost of upgrading you!

We're not interested in the Penthouse, mostly because the cabin is not much bigger than the aft Large balcony we already have, but the balcony itself is obviously a lot smaller. Nice Haven perks, but mostly that's what we'd be paying extra for.

But the 2-bedroom Family Villa is so much bigger and nicer. And there's a ton of them left (a lot more of them than Penthouses at this point) so hopefully NCL will be ready to Deal or No Deal!

Personally I would just stay where I was. For ME, there is nothing in the Haven that I would justify paying 2 grand extra for. However, your budget may be different than mine.

You have a great cabin as it is.

You're so right! And we've never been in an aft balcony before either. This is pretty much a win-win for us!

But (ha!) if not two grand, maybe 1 grand? $500? Would there be any price that would get you to move from an aft Large balcony into a 2-bedroom Family Villa Haven suite? Where's Monty Hall when you really him?!

I think that I'd stay put unless all of the other promos were included with the upsell.

Thanks Barb! Just going to ask you what I've asked the others, which is at what price would you think about moving, given that we'll only be able to keep the UBP we originally booked with. I agree that at $1000 per person it's too much (for us, at least).

We're booked in an aft Large balcony (a B1 cabin) on Norwegian Breakaway, which sails 9 days from now on April 19. Recently we received an email from NCL asking us if we'd accept an upsell to the Haven. They offered three different cabin types, Owners Suite (H3) for $1000 per person, 2-bedroom Family Villa (H4) for $1000 per person, and Penthouse w/ Balcony (H5) for $750 per person. We'd be most interested in moving up to the Family Villa, I don't think the Owners Suite is still available. There are lots of the Family Villas left though, like 14 this morning (out of 20).

We are really psyched about our huge B1 aft balcony, so no matter what happens we know we'll have an awesome cruise! But at the same time, it's the Haven (which we've never cruised in).

Soooooooooo....what do people think? If this was you, would you think $1000 per person would be worth the move? Or if not, what do you think would be a good per person price to offer for the Family Villa?

Wish we were offered an upsell at some point. Never, ever received such an offer. :rolleyes:

You're so right! And we've never been in an aft balcony before either. This is pretty much a win-win for us!

But (ha!) if not two grand, maybe 1 grand? $500? Would there be any price that would get you to move from an aft Large balcony into a 2-bedroom Family Villa Haven suite? Where's Monty Hall when you really him?!

Trust me, you'll really enjoy an aft balcony.

NORWEGIAN'S

1. FREE BEVERAGE PACKAGE

2. FREE DINING PACKAGE

3. FREE GRATUITIES

...if you upgrade?

No, when you do an upsell you keep your original promotions (I just did an upsell for my upcoming cruise).

I've sailed in the B1 aft balcony and they are awesome. Personallly I wouldn't trade that for another room unless the new room has a large balcony as well, in this case for you it would be an owner's suite.

We're just a couple, so no kids to worry about. We were thinking we'd rather be on 16 than 15, so we could be on the same deck as the Haven restaurant and courtyard.

The website says that the OS is available, but if you try to book it, you get a message that it's no longer there. We would book that one if we could, because of the larger balcony (otherwise the two cabins, H3 and H4, seem pretty similar -- ??). But I also figure that NCL won't be too eager to negotiate price on that one, given there's only one left, if that.

What do you think of their price? ($1000 per person to upgrade.) Do you have any experience in negotiating a better deal than the one they offer?

Thanks so much for your information!

I think NCL is more willing to negotiate the closer you are to the cruise (however, that increases the chances of the room being booked). I upgraded to an OS from a mini suite 3 days before sailing and I was able to negotiate the price and was given a great deal. In any event the phone reps at the upsell department are all very nice, so it can't hurt to ask, the worst they will tell you is no.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon

Well we'd be able to keep our UBP. But nothing new like free UDP or free shore excursions.

Would there be any price where you'd consider the upgrade? We're probably not interested in upgrading for the requested $1000 per person, but from reading about upsells on here it sounds like sometimes people are able to negotiate lower upsell prices.

What would it take to get you from your aft Large balcony and into a 2-bedroom Haven Family Villa? (trying to sound like a car salesman here!)

This is a really personal decision that others aren't going to be able to give you great advice on. Even as advertised right now to you the price you're being quoted is incredible compared to other people that are staying in the room at whatever the actual advertised rate is. If there are a lot of the 2 bedroom family villas left (and it sounds like there are), and you don't mind possibly losing out, it might also be beneficial to wait a little longer. How many days out from your cruise are you?

You need to decide what you want from your vacation. Do you want to feel incredibly pampered by the ease of having a concierge, butler, etc and if so, what would you be willing to pay for that splurge.

We decided years ago that we would only cruise in suites - even if it meant that we could only cruise once a year and we have never regretted that decision. We tend to book Deck 10 AFT SF suites on Pearl, Dawn, Star, Jewel. The view from the balcony is outstanding!

We have a Haven suite booked next January on the Getaway and are looking forward to experiencing a megaship! Whatever you choose to do - you will have a great cruise.