amtrack from cape liberty

melsmom303

You definitely want to go to Newark Penn Station. There is no car access to Newark Airport Station - you have to get dropped off at a terminal, get yourself and your luggage up to the Airtrain station via escalator or elevator, and take the free Airtrain to the Amtrak station.

The shared shuttle will take you to Newark Penn Station for about $17. However you need to allow plenty of time. If the ship is late for any reason there will be a huge crush of people competing for the transportation. They will give priority to folks going to LaGuardia and JFK. In Feb I arrived back in a snowstorm and the transportation was a mess. My 10:20 Amtrak train had been cancelled and I had rebooked it for later. I took whatever transportation I could just to get out of the port. I went to Journal Square and took PATH to Newark Penn Station. That was an unusual situation, but it did show the dispatching system at its worst.

If you're already at a EWR hotel, then you can pick whichever train suits your budget. You won't have to worry about getting off the ship in time to wait for a shuttle that will run when it's full. What hotel are you staying at?

If you are not staying AFTER the cruise, do NOT book back to EWR rail station, book from NWK which is Amtrak speak for Newark PENN station.

You can get the shared shuttle back to THAT station for 17 bucks per person, just walk out to the dispatcher/taxi area

In case of a late ship or big crowds, take the later train..